Trumps win is major defeat for Christian Right

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I am not convinced the Christian far right is at all troubled by Trump's victory. On the contrary, I have not heard even the least objection from them in his campaign.

Ted Cruz did not a ringing endorsement from local television evangelist types here in Gopherland. Frankly, none of the GOP candidates did. From all appearances, it seemed to me they are waiting for the RNC convention to take place - it is there where they will exert their biggest influence and it would not surprise me in the least that they endorse Trump. They will likely influence his selection for VP. But all that remains to be seen.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
I am not convinced the Christian far right is at all troubled by Trump's victory. On the contrary, I have not heard even the least objection from them in his campaign.
Except for Glenn Beck, Matt Walsh, Ben Shapiro, Andrew Klavan, etc.?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm not so sure that, that is such a big deal. I'm no expert on the matter but bigger minds than mine have stated that the church has no business in politics! What's the predominant opinion in 2016?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
On Monday, Cruz, along with delegate-wrangler Ken Cuccinelli and Christian-right warhorse Tony Perkins, held a conference call with the faithful to inform them that while they have no intention of challenging Trump's nomination, they will act as guardians of the militantly conservative party platform and maybe add some planks to address items of cultural hysteria like bathroom labeling.

It seems a major motive for the call was to keep Cruz supporters from making other plans for the week of July 18 (delegates typically have to pay their own way to conventions, as well as their expenses at them, and some aren't enthused about running up the credit-card balances to participate in a Trump coronation). Cruz campaign leaders also want their troops to make an extra effort to win the two seats on the platform and rules committee to which each delegation is entitled. Perkins, for example, has already won a platform-committee spot from Louisiana.

On the platform, however, Trump's cavalier attitude toward many holy tenets of movement conservatism provides an excellent excuse for sounding the alarm. The Cruz people being who they are, the focus is on cultural issues. Here was Cuccinelli's message to Cruz supporters, according to the New York Times' Jonathan Martin:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/cruz-forces-plan-platform-fight.html

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
On Monday, Cruz, along with delegate-wrangler Ken Cuccinelli and Christian-right warhorse Tony Perkins, held a conference call with the faithful to inform them that while they have no intention of challenging Trump's nomination, they will act as guardians of the militantly conservative party platform and maybe add some planks to address items of cultural hysteria like bathroom labeling.

It seems a major motive for the call was to keep Cruz supporters from making other plans for the week of July 18 (delegates typically have to pay their own way to conventions, as well as their expenses at them, and some aren't enthused about running up the credit-card balances to participate in a Trump coronation). Cruz campaign leaders also want their troops to make an extra effort to win the two seats on the platform and rules committee to which each delegation is entitled. Perkins, for example, has already won a platform-committee spot from Louisiana.

On the platform, however, Trump's cavalier attitude toward many holy tenets of movement conservatism provides an excellent excuse for sounding the alarm. The Cruz people being who they are, the focus is on cultural issues. Here was Cuccinelli's message to Cruz supporters, according to the New York Times' Jonathan Martin:

Cruz Forces Plan Platform Fight -- NYMag
Reading those commie mags will rot yer mind.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You know... I was listening to a radio program stating that Trump voters would vote for Bernie and Bernie voters would vote for Trump even though they are polar opposites on many issues. Millions want to just upend the establishment on both sides.

It is going to be a very interesting summer and fall.

Exit polls in WV showed that 1/3 of Democrats would vote for Trump over Hillary (not Bernie).

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Tell me why Hillary is any different than Trump as far as the Christian Right is concerned.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
LSD might be better as stated below your comment by Tec. Beck, like Matt Walsh, Ben Shapiro, Andrew Klavan are right wingers but they are not members of the television evangelist Christian right.
Television evangelist Christian right makes up like 0.0001% of the American population. They are only slightly more numerous than unicorns in the U.S. so who cares what they have to say. Most Christians don't.