Trudeau abandons pledge on electoral reform

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
This is actually the first sensible thing I have heard from our PM ever.

Well it would be, except for the fact that he lied. There was a clear path forward - it wasn't his path but it was there.

Conservatives were the idiots pushing for a referendum.

As well they should. They were standing up for Canadians who in poll after poll clearly stated that a referendum on electoral reform was necessary.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I suppose it is not a big surprise. Disappointing perhaps, but not a surprise. No doubt the Liberals looked at the numbers and determined that they will probably get another 40% and win against a weak Conservative Party. However, they have given the NDP ammunition for a comeback.
There's lots of chairs at the Inn

How would a referendum be a bad idea for canadian democracy?

The way I see it a government that I can't trust is a bad government.
Canadians have better or more priorities for referendums,this is lame

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I am sure your grandchildren will enjoy paying for your choices .

First passed the post has been around for centuries and is used by the most politically stable countries in the world.

The horror.

The horror.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Now that the electoral promise fiasco is over and done; we now can wait for the promised improvement to our infrastructure, in short invest on roads, bridges, highways, etc to make cost of doing business easier, sounded like a good plan. The issue is that there has been little money invested towards infrastructure, to-date very little of the billions spent has been allocated to infrastructure, which was a major campaign promise. To date, the economy falls more under impeded than growth, scary really, $113 billion projected debt over the next 5 years, with no mandate to bring it back under control!! This is directly impacting future investments and Canada's future. What about the $8.4 billion going to training and putting our aboriginal in the workforce? According the budget, $15 million only is actually going to skills/employment, where's the rest gone man? Political org. that's where!! Everything seems counterproductive with this gov., just look at the top personal income tax rates, cannot get worst than this one!!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government is backing away from a promise on electoral reform by claiming they didn’t get enough votes in the past federal election to reform the current first-past-the-post system.

“I think we need to remember that as a result of our first-past-the-post system, only 39.5% of people voted for us,” explained Trudeau in an interview with Le Devoir. “This simply isn’t a sufficient mandate to reform the system that produced this outcome.”

“Now I did say that the 2015 federal election would be the last election that uses first-past-the-post, but I was expecting at least half or two-thirds of Canadians to vote for me and my party. I should have crushed Saskatchewan and Alberta with 75% of the vote, but – again, due to factors out of our control at the time – could only muster five seats.”

Trudeau also noted that many of his MPs didn’t receive a majority of votes in their riding as a justification for backing away from his promise.

“Just look at Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef. She only won her riding by less that 44% of the vote! How can a Minister have the legitimacy of leading the change of our electoral system when 56% of her constituents voted against her?”

The Prime Minister added that the only way for his government to gain legitimacy to carry out a new voting system, such as proportional representation or preferential balloting, would to re-elect a Liberal government using the current system several times over.

“But voters shouldn’t think that voter reform will never happen; we’ll be strongly committed to the idea next time we’re in opposition.”

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/10/trudeau-39-5-people-voted-electoral-reform/

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yup. It's a good thing Trudeau backtracked on this one. I don't know why some people are mad

I'm mad because he downloaded the responsibility for electoral reform to two young neophytes - one who couldn't handle the job and this latest but a sacrificial lamb. I'm angry because he spent all that time and money on a really good report then threw it in the garbage. I'm pi**ed off because he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up in the House and tell us himself that electoral reform was dead.

I really didn't care one way or another about the whole issue - I did and do care about the way it was handled. I am fairly happy with the way things are now but was open to other views. I'm glad it's over.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government is backing away from a promise on electoral reform by claiming they didn’t get enough votes in the past federal election to reform the current first-past-the-post system.

“I think we need to remember that as a result of our first-past-the-post system, only 39.5% of people voted for us,” explained Trudeau in an interview with Le Devoir. “This simply isn’t a sufficient mandate to reform the system that produced this outcome.”

“Now I did say that the 2015 federal election would be the last election that uses first-past-the-post, but I was expecting at least half or two-thirds of Canadians to vote for me and my party. I should have crushed Saskatchewan and Alberta with 75% of the vote, but – again, due to factors out of our control at the time – could only muster five seats.”

Trudeau also noted that many of his MPs didn’t receive a majority of votes in their riding as a justification for backing away from his promise.

“Just look at Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef. She only won her riding by less that 44% of the vote! How can a Minister have the legitimacy of leading the change of our electoral system when 56% of her constituents voted against her?”

The Prime Minister added that the only way for his government to gain legitimacy to carry out a new voting system, such as proportional representation or preferential balloting, would to re-elect a Liberal government using the current system several times over.

“But voters shouldn’t think that voter reform will never happen; we’ll be strongly committed to the idea next time we’re in opposition.”

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/10/trudeau-39-5-people-voted-electoral-reform/

:thumbright:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm mad because he downloaded the responsibility for electoral reform to two young neophytes - one who couldn't handle the job and this latest but a sacrificial lamb. I'm angry because he spent all that time and money on a really good report then threw it in the garbage. I'm pi**ed off because he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up in the House and tell us himself that electoral reform was dead.

I really didn't care one way or another about the whole issue - I did and do care about the way it was handled. I am fairly happy with the way things are now but was open to other views. I'm glad it's over.

:thumbright:

And I'm really pissed off because it was a stupid idea in the first place (Prime Ministers don't have the authority to change election rules) and he had no bloody business making the promise in the first place and I'm even more pissed off because now he is lying about it. He's a twit!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
And I'm really pissed off because it was a stupid idea in the first place (Prime Ministers don't have the authority to change election rules) and he had no bloody business making the promise in the first place and I'm even more pissed off because now he is lying about it. He's a twit!

We're damn mad and we're not going to take it anymore - ever see the movie Network, JLM? - that was it's tag line. Great movie if you ever get the chance to see it - oldie but a goodie. :smile:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
What's sad is the fools who believed him in the first place. We know that Trudeau is Quebecois first, Canadian second. He had no intentions of changing a damn thing about an electoral system that gives us PMs from Quebec on a near continuous basis. Even Anglophone Quebecers like Mulroney put Quebec ahead of the rest of the country. Besides, he has about as much authority to reform the electoral process as Harper did to reform the Senate.

I agree that we need electoral reform though. It's not right that 1-2 provinces get to determine the political fate of the entire country every single election. But I imagine that won't happen before Senate reform happens and I'm not exactly holding my breath that'll happen either.

“A clear preference for a new electoral system, let alone a consensus, has not emerged,” Trudeau writes. “Furthermore, without a clear preference or a clear question, a referendum would not be in Canada’s interest.”
A "consensus"? A consensus of whom exactly? can't really get a consensus unless you actually ask everyone or as close to everyone as you can. How do you get a consensus without at least holding a plebiscite? And uh, putting up an intermittently functioning website for it is not a plebiscite.

However, in reference to my previous post, I doubt we'd actually see too many Ontarians or Quebecers supporting the idea. I could well be wrong and I'd like to hope that I am, but I doubt it. Not enough Canadians see this as an entire country, we are a nation of self-interested "regionalists".

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
However, in reference to my previous post, I doubt we'd actually see too many Ontarians or Quebecers supporting the idea. I could well be wrong and I'd like to hope that I am, but I doubt it. Not enough Canadians see this as an entire country, we are a nation of self-interested "regionalists".

I can't speak for Ontario, but I think you overestimate the electoral importance Quebec can have and the influence Quebecers think they have. Quebec was largely not very supportive of Harper's Conservatives yet that didn't stop him from holding power for nearly 10 years. A decade is enough to significantly alter political perceptions and my take on it is that Quebecers view themselves as gradually losing their influence in Canadian politics.

In 2011, when many Quebecers decided to vote for Layton's NDP, there was a certain form of political empowerment for Quebec in the sense that Quebecers saw how they could significantly alter the Canadian political scenery by simply dumping the Bloc Québecois. But there was a shadow side to this. The Conservatives still won a majority and the idea that Quebec is simply not politically powerful anymore settled in.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I can't speak for Ontario, but I think you overestimate the electoral importance Quebec can have and the influence Quebecers think they have.
Not at all. How many PMs have we had over the last 40+ years and how many of them were from Quebec? No sense in including Clark, Turner or Campbell since they were turfed shortly after being elected.

There have been 10 PMs since since 1970 although PET was elected two separate times in that period. Eliminating the three previously mentioned PMs and focusing on those who served at least one full term, 6 out of 7 have come from Quebec.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
kinda like Trump backing off his promise not to go after hildebeast.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not at all. How many PMs have we had over the last 40+ years and how many of them were from Quebec? No sense in including Clark, Turner or Campbell since they were turfed shortly after being elected.

There have been 10 PMs since since 1970 although PET was elected two separate times in that period. Eliminating the three previously mentioned PMs and focusing on those who served at least one full term, 6 out of 7 have come from Quebec.
But of course since Lester Pearson it is political suicide for a party leader not to speak French .

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012