Trudeau abandons pledge on electoral reform

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Actually, a NDP MP who sat on the committee that traveled around the country holding town halls, spent hundreds of hours studying the various voting systems around the world and then came up with a comprehensive report, said on CBC radio today that they found a solid 88% of the people they heard from both at town halls and through internet surveys, were in favor of a some kind of proportional representation wherein every vote counts.

If 88% of the people they heard from supported it that only means that 88% of the people willing to participate and give opinions support it, not a substantial proportion of the electorate. Municipal governments have this problem all the time. When they hold public consultations on development proposals the only people that show up are those with an interest in it, and in city government those are the people against it. Generally when it comes to electoral reform, no one loves FPTP, and so those in favour of it don't come out, but those in favour of reform show up.

That's not to say that a lot of people or even a majority would support electoral reform when asked. People appear not all that impressed with our democratic system because they generally don't like politics and politicians. So maybe a lot of people who came out were supporters of reforms, but probably not a lot of people came out. It's still true to say that there is little enthusiasm for it.

Despite the opposition bragging about broken promises, this issue won't appear on anyone's radar. Trudeau may have promised this, but it's not why people voted Liberal. He's more likely to lose votes if he breaks his promise on marijuana than breaking this promise on electoral reform.

What the hell happened to you?

You used to be lefty, but reasonably rational.

Now you've gone completely off the edge.

Justin Trudeau, the Human Turd, has lied and lied and lied and lied, broken several major promises.........said incredibly stupid things, proven himself a complete moron, and you can't pry your lips off his behind.

Weird how you question mentalfloss for being irrational and going off the edge and then calling Trudeau a human turd. But then again, you were always over the edge ;)

Why is that?

We got what we wanted.

Then quit ya bitchin'

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If 88% of the people they heard from supported it that only means that 88% of the people willing to participate and give opinions support it, not a substantial proportion of the electorate. Municipal governments have this problem all the time. When they hold public consultations on development proposals the only people that show up are those with an interest in it, and in city government those are the people against it. Generally when it comes to electoral reform, no one loves FPTP, and so those in favour of it don't come out, but those in favour of reform show up.

That's not to say that a lot of people or even a majority would support electoral reform when asked. People appear not all that impressed with our democratic system because they generally don't like politics and politicians. So maybe a lot of people who came out were supporters of reforms, but probably not a lot of people came out. It's still true to say that there is little enthusiasm for it.

Despite the opposition bragging about broken promises, this issue won't appear on anyone's radar. Trudeau may have promised this, but it's not why people voted Liberal. He's more likely to lose votes if he breaks his promise on marijuana than breaking this promise on electoral reform.

'

Exactly correct.

Weird how you question mentalfloss for being irrational and going off the edge and then calling Trudeau a human turd. But then again, you were always over the edge ;)

That's because Trudeau is a human turd. A "feminist" that loves Islam, sells arms to Saudi Arabia, and refuses to give preference to Yazidis as refugees, an arrogant, idiotic frat-boy type born with a silver spoon in his mouth, the enemy of free speech, that loves commie murders and the dictatorship that has murdered more people than any other in human history, a man that assaults MPs on the floor of the House, a perpetual (yes, I mean perpetual) liar, .....oh, I could go on.

He simply is.

Then quit ya bitchin'

I wasn't bitching, I was bragging.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He never should have been Prime Minister in the first place. His mentality is about on par with a fifteen year old and he basically lacks experience at anything useful. He needs a year setting chokers or cutting bait on a fish boat. Teaching drama just doesn't cut it!

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I like that humour,so much fun we are having,mean while the Conservatives are still mad,angry and in full disorientation ,
This is not good,they are giving me a headache with all theirmislead ways
I hope they can find it in their hearts to find humour in this great cartoon

Crybabies

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Our benign dictatorship;

Canada's system of one-party-plus rule has stunted democracy.

Two prominent conservatives present the case for more representative government by Stephen Harper and Tom Flanagan

https://www.scribd.com/doc/51938443...-Benign-Dictatorship-Next-City-Winter-1996-97

Thanks for the memories. I remember seeing a university debate on this article. The prof (liberal, no surprise there.) vs several 4th year students. The audience of several hundred students applauded the prof and truly supported his opinions,yet the debate still went to the students. It was beautiful, logic won over personal feelings.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It seems to me that the Liberals were very much in favour of instituting a Proportional rather than Preferential (ranked preference) from the start.

That would have bequeathed the Liberal Party a permanent INSTITUTIONAL caste in the electoral system and would have completely undermined the Representational Democracy that has (imperfectly) governed the nation since Confederation.

It would have handed the Parties to inside ideological forces, magnifying those same forces that have imposed themselves by way of the Charter and SCOC. When it became clear that they would not be able to hoodwink the Canadian Public that this was NOT a conspiracy to disenfranchise them, they pulled out.

They knew ranking preferences would spell the end of the Liberal Party as it exists solely by playing demographic and class groups against each other, by cynically placing itself as the LEAST objectionable to to the most voters.

That is the ONLY thing that has given the Liberals power.. they have Never, as a Party, stood for ANYTHING. The Preferential System was presented solely as a lever to put in the Proportional System they wanted.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This seems like a sensible decision considering the problems, divisions and political grandstanding that emerged during the study and consultation. The Liberals handled it terribly but the opposition had no interest in it except to knock the Liberals down. It wouldn't make sense to change the electoral system without a referendum but no one really wanted to go through the logistic trouble of a referendum. And if there was a referendum I doubt it would succeed.

Voters are generally disenchanted with our electoral system but don't care enough to change it. That's the nature of democracy. People tend to be destructive and not constructive.

I'm basically against referenda, although one should never say "never". One reason is they are expensive and the second is the politicians are voted in because of their ability??? to make sound decisions and are paid the big bucks accordingly.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm basically against referenda, although one should never say "never". One reason is they are expensive and the second is the politicians are voted in because of their ability??? to make sound decisions and are paid the big bucks accordingly.

I respect that you do not support referenda, JLM but for something as important as changing the way we vote, a referendum is a must. The PM has already shown he cannot be trusted on this matter by stating his preference then abandoning the entire process when he didn't get his way.