Trudeau abandons pledge on electoral reform

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Are Canadians used to his promise breaking by now? I would think they should be.

Canadians are stupider than Americans, that's a fact, the cold slows down reasoning, it's why we haven't invaded the warm southern states, like Maine.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
This seems like a sensible decision considering the problems, divisions and political grandstanding that emerged during the study and consultation. The Liberals handled it terribly but the opposition had no interest in it except to knock the Liberals down. It wouldn't make sense to change the electoral system without a referendum but no one really wanted to go through the logistic trouble of a referendum. And if there was a referendum I doubt it would succeed.

Voters are generally disenchanted with our electoral system but don't care enough to change it. That's the nature of democracy. People tend to be destructive and not constructive.

Actually, a NDP MP who sat on the committee that traveled around the country holding town halls, spent hundreds of hours studying the various voting systems around the world and then came up with a comprehensive report, said on CBC radio today that they found a solid 88% of the people they heard from both at town halls and through internet surveys, were in favor of a some kind of proportional representation wherein every vote counts.

This was completely typical of the Liberal party - will anyone ever forget the famous words of Jean Chretien - "Read my lips?" Justin simply showed himself to be just as shallow, just as lacking in integrity and just as much of a liar as other fork-tongued Liberals who preceded him.

Us Conservatives can only sit back and chuckle.........while throwing out the odd.........I told you so. :lol:

It was a smart move.

Wow, people are saying that alot about Trudeau and not Trump.

Huh.

Oh come on, mf............it was the only move he could make when his little plan of foisting a ranked ballot system on the Canadian public fell apart. He didn't even have the b**ls to stand up in the House and tell us himself. Instead, after the appointment of yet another rookie minister to the portfolio, he left it all up to her. Liar and a coward.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This will be remembered as a good move.

Especially because they took the time to gauge public opinion first.

Americans would do well to learn from us.

Oh wait, they're idiots lead by a complete moron. :lol:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I suppose it is not a big surprise. Disappointing perhaps, but not a surprise. No doubt the Liberals looked at the numbers and determined that they will probably get another 40% and win against a weak Conservative Party. However, they have given the NDP ammunition for a comeback.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
First of all good, I want first past the post anyway.
As for Trudeau I still prefer him to Harper

I prefer any politician that is open-minded and is willing to change course when he/she sees they are wrong. I didn't think Trudeau had it in him but good for him.

I also like politicians who listen to what the people want. I believe politicians work for the people and not the other way around. That's one of the reasons I'm not a Trumpite

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

How old are you? I think you underestimate the number of young people who strongly believe FPTP is not adequate anymore for Canada's democracy.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Americans would do well to learn from us.

Oh wait, they're idiots lead by a complete moron. :lol:

What the hell happened to you?

You used to be lefty, but reasonably rational.

Now you've gone completely off the edge.

Justin Trudeau, the Human Turd, has lied and lied and lied and lied, broken several major promises.........said incredibly stupid things, proven himself a complete moron, and you can't pry your lips off his behind.

No one expects you to abandon the party, or the idiot liberal philosophy, but your absolute inability to admit the The Blessed Hair has done the slightest thing wrong boggles the mind.

I swear, if you discovered the Liberals were sacrificing babies to the Devil in the Parliament House basement, then cutting them up into cubes and serving that in stew in the Parliamentary cafeteria you'd praise them for saving money on meat costs.

How hard do you have to smash that brick into your head every morning to maintain that level of stupid?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
People would rather have a government that breaks a difficult promise than keep a bad one.

See Trump.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
“A clear preference for a new electoral system, let alone a consensus, has not emerged,” Trudeau writes. “Furthermore, without a clear preference or a clear question, a referendum would not be in Canada’s interest.”

This is actually the first sensible thing I have heard from our PM ever.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's been their position since they were elected.

Conservatives were the idiots pushing for a referendum.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
How would a referendum be a bad idea for canadian democracy?

People would rather have a government that breaks a difficult promise than keep a bad one.

See Trump.

The way I see it a government that I can't trust is a bad government.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The ONLY appealing thing in the Liberal campaign platform.. GONE. It's no surprise to me. The first time i heard of the plan i thought it would release all kinds of pent up energy in the electoral system and would be completely unpredictable as to who it would help.

The Liberals have always thought they were EVERYONE's first or second preference, simply by never standing for anything and placing themselves as the default choice for voters. But the outcomes of a ranked poll likely would have brought marginal parties to the fore that would completely disrupt the 2 Party Franchise that has ruled the country for 150 yrears.

The truth is that the West is now in a paradigm shift.. economically, culturally, politically.. and the Liberals have always been run by polls, political correctness and petty ideologies, never straying from the popular zeitgeist. In a fast moving environment like this they realized they would be outmanoevered by more agile and integral philosophical forces like those that propelled Trump to POTUS.

This is a fatal self inflicted wound to the Liberal Party. They've lost ALL credibility. These forces of change will move around it to assert themselves regardless of electoral machinery. The Liberals are adrift.. in a ship of state that is compassless, rudderless and captainless.. in a turbulent political sea that has them completely befuddled, which has overturned all their presumptions.

They might limp on for a year or so, but events are moving so quickly that they'll likely start to dissolve internallly within a year or so. Justin is just too hopeless and clueless to deal with a crisis. I'm sure he's quite oblivious to the historical forces that are moving relentlessly against him and his government.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That's been their position since they were elected.

Conservatives were the idiots pushing for a referendum.

Why is that?

We got what we wanted.

FPTP.

Oh, and it wasn't Conservatives demanding a referendum.....it was the mass of the people....like 70%.

Of course, lefties hate the people.

See Trump.

Ah...the answer to my question
How hard do you have to smash that brick into your head every morning to maintain that level of stupid?
is "really hard"

The people would rather not have the Human Turd make bad promises.