Tories shutting down Status of Women offices

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what jobs pay women less than men? Can anyone think of a job where the pay is different?
I have no idea.

I pay the one woman on my payroll more then the men because she's a lead hand and a great welder. In the Army they got the same rate of pay as I and quite frankly everywhere else I've ever worked as well.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
First identification papers? As in a SIN? Birth Certificate? Passport (a la "I live in Canada", er Lebanon) ... what papers? Why can't these people go to a government office, like everyone other than females between the ages of 18 and 100 presumably do, and fill out their papers with the help of a help desk person? Why do some females need this special service?

Because the poor Dears are helpless, you know.

This is one bit of hypocracy that drives me nuts: Women are equal, but they need all this special treatment........

Huh?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I have no idea.

I pay the one woman on my payroll more then the men because she's a lead hand and a great welder. In the Army they got the same rate of pay as I and quite frankly everywhere else I've ever worked as well.

Exactly. I doubt anyone can think of a job where the salary is gender dependent. I suspect the stats are based on something other than one job paying different for a man or a women, yet they give the world the impression that Canadians pay one salary for a male doctor and a different salary for a female doctor. The SWAC should be ashamed of themselves for misleading the world.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Because the poor Dears are helpless, you know.

This is one bit of hypocracy that drives me nuts: Women are equal, but they need all this special treatment........

Huh?

Women don't want special treatment so those ever so do gooders that want $23 million to address rediculous "gender" issues should go out and get a real job.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I think the disparity lies in the lifestyle of women vs. men.....

By that I mean the workforce of females is bound to have child issues - pregnancy or necessity of keeping children - and this means women may lag behind the men in wage earning simply because they are doing double duty and may require more time off.

This isn't a hard and fast rule of course but it may be one thing which keeps the women's salaries as appearing lower than the men's

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Women don't want special treatment so those ever so do gooders that want $23 million to address rediculous "gender" issues should go out and get a real job.
How can you apply such clear and concise logic here, but over in that other thread you are so emotional and void this analytical side?

I'm confused.

Hell, from this therad I would nominate you for a cabinet post.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I think the disparity lies in the lifestyle of women vs. men.....

By that I mean the workforce of females is bound to have child issues - pregnancy or necessity of keeping children - and this means women may lag behind the men in wage earning simply because they are doing double duty and may require more time off.

This isn't a hard and fast rule of course but it may be one thing which keeps the women's salaries as appearing lower than the men's

Well certainly people with lower qualifications and less experience should be paid somewhat differently than people with higher qualifications and more experience, but I think most people everywhere first assumed that the same job was paying a different salary depending on gender.

Women take time to have families, and that definitely cuts into their salaries, and some men change jobs or travel and that cuts into their salaries. Maybe we need a $23 million "stay at home dads" gender biased study.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
How can you apply such clear and concise logic here, but over in that other thread you are so emotional and void this analytical side?

I'm confused.

Hell, from this thread I would nominate you for a cabinet post.

It's just me and my evil twin sister sharing a user name ... what can I say.

Those bull dykes at the SWAC should stop milking the government for money by pretending that female means "special needs". That was so last millennium.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's just me and my evil twin sister sharing a user name ... what can I say.

Those bull dykes at the SWAC should stop milking the government for money by pretending that female means "special needs".
I just added you to my list of do not read while drinking coffee. That made me laugh out loud. I keep windex and paper towel in my desk drawers just for people like you, lol, yet I haven't had much use of it since Johnny was banned.lmao. I'm starting to like you, lol.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Shutting down the SOW

It's about time!! I have been following the SOW for a number of years now, and have yet to determine just exatly how they've benefitted women. It's all about politics.

Having worked for a non-profit, government sponsored agency, I know what it takes to get continued funding. Trust me, results aren't what it's all about. It's about how you can write gobbly-gook applications justifying the need for your continued existence with vague stats as to your "success" so that the agency can continue getting funds from gov't. After a few years, I couldn't stand it any more, went back to school and now work in the private sector. While I make considerably less now than I was making prior, the satisfaction I get from my job is worth any loss of salary. I was sick and tired of the politics involved previously.

SOW is about power and money, period. It has failed to produce any concrete results that I see of other organizations who do a tremendous job on a daily basis, strictly on donations and not government hand-outs.

Just my opinion....

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
... It's about how you can write gobbly-gook applications justifying the need for your continued existence with vague stats as to your "success" so that the agency can continue getting funds from gov't...

By saving money primarily through staffing cuts and maintaining the bulk of the program funding (making the victory particularly shallow), Oda has managed to make that part of the equation worse.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
By saving money primarily through staffing cuts and maintaining the bulk of the program funding (making the victory particularly shallow), Oda has managed to make that part of the equation worse.

Yep.

They should have cut ALL the funds.

I mean, if the SOW really represents all the women of Canada..........shouldn't they be able to raise a measly 12 million from their supporters?

The SOW is merely a gov't bureaucracy created to lobby lefty gov'ts to do things they wanted to do anyway........and the major effort of all bureaucracies is aimed at self-preservation and expansion........at the expense of their original purpose.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yep.

They should have cut ALL the funds.

I mean, if the SOW really represents all the women of Canada..........shouldn't they be able to raise a measly 12 million from their supporters?

The SOW is merely a gov't bureaucracy created to lobby lefty gov'ts to do things they wanted to do anyway........and the major effort of all bureaucracies is aimed at self-preservation and expansion........at the expense of their original purpose.

I doubt they could rustle up one thousand dollars from donations, this is one fat cat whose time in Canada is done. I hope.:pukeright:

gearheaded1

Never stop questioning
Oct 21, 2006
Alberta
Split down the middle!

Hey, we should split the last $18M down the middle and create a Society for Men. That would be equality, wouldn't it? We could discuss methods to minimize wife verbal abuse. (Have you been told today?)

The existance of a SOW in this age, doesn't make sense anymore, and the funding should go to a worthwhile source in its entirety.

For all of the talk of wanting equality and fairness, funding a one-sided organization makes little sense at all. There are already organizations set up for taking care of victims of spousal abuse, care for underpriviledged children, etc. There are ample opportunities for business start-ups and for funding for worthwhile causes.

I aplaud the females in this forum for voicing thier beliefs in the absurdity of such an organization.

And, to boot, the liberals will/are making a big hoopla in the commons under this issue. What a bleeping waste of time, and real taxpayer money.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Taking a look at where the SWAC puts it's money ..

http://www.realwomenca.com/newsletter/2003_sept_oct/article_7.html
From 1997 - 2003, $214,832 was given annually to someone to read the paper, watch TV and flip through some magazines. I want that job.

National Watch on Images of Women in the Media Inc. (Mediawatch)1,288,997.00

If the SWAC was receiving $23 million in 2003, then half of that money was used to pay salaries and keep the organizaton afloat. The other half went to 222 organizations across Canada.

2002-2003

"It is very discouraging to see the record of this steady flow of money to feminist/lesbian/anti-male organizations. Such groups would not even be in existence if they were not fed fresh truckloads of tax money each year. The purpose of this funding is to lobby the government to keep afloat out-dated feminist policies, such as universal day care, abortion rights, and the supremacy of women. Such funding is also used to resist fathers' efforts to obtain access to their children."

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Taking a look at where the SWAC puts it's money ..

http://www.realwomenca.com/newsletter/2003_sept_oct/article_7.html
From 1997 - 2003, $214,832 was given annually to someone to read the paper, watch TV and flip through some magazines. I want that job.

National Watch on Images of Women in the Media Inc. (Mediawatch)1,288,997.00

If the SWAC was receiving $23 million in 2003, then half of that money was used to pay salaries and keep the organizaton afloat. The other half went to 222 organizations across Canada.

2002-2003

"It is very discouraging to see the record of this steady flow of money to feminist/lesbian/anti-male organizations. Such groups would not even be in existence if they were not fed fresh truckloads of tax money each year. The purpose of this funding is to lobby the government to keep afloat out-dated feminist policies, such as universal day care, abortion rights, and the supremacy of women. Such funding is also used to resist fathers' efforts to obtain access to their children."

Good post lass, I concur one hundred percent. It's a waste of tax payers dollars, and I hope next year Harper axes all funding to these SOWs.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hey is it alright on this web thread to say I am A single white father?...Could I start my own minority group.?.So what happens when women are finally equal.?.Do we get to drop all these laws that help make minorities equal?..Are women still really a minority?..Seem pretty strong to me...I love powerful women..Women who have fought for all they have without asking for a hand up or out....Well..Homestly ..Powerful women , Turn me on..lol.Nothing more attractive then a lady who knows what she wants..and how to get it...

I don't believe in rascism ..I beleive in 1 person at a time .Anyone can be an "A"hole ..I always say..It is the only way to go....(4 the most part)

It kinda erks me as a single white father, to hear female politicians during "Question period" mostly ever speaking about what they will do for themselves,women....Instead of what is best for all Canadians ...More so when it comes to pay equity...I have no doubt it is a real issue, however, I believe there are reasons for any minor pay discrepancies....Pregnancy being one ..2 kids in the prime of a womens work life..affects their pay...Perhaps if men were given more rights to their children this would help solve the inequality women continue to feel is prevelant in our workplace..For whatever reason..I think it simply comes down to political correctness and womens self interest in these isssues...It helps separate the women from the men ..Causing a lot of single tax payers!...:)

Let's stir up the melting pot ..Make 1 damn tasty dish!

Family will help keep us together..Splitting everything into minorities tends to bring the bar down..Gotta keep moving forward together ,where ever possible.Why draw line when we can draw cricles and x's..(oxoxoxox..lol)...

Under the minority label of .."Single white father "..I believe in Survival of the fittest...but Women and children first....Under ITt(God)

How's that ...?

Peace ..

Last edited: