I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
EagleSmack said:
I think not said:
EagleSmack said:
peapod said:
I don't really agree with that statement bluealberta. I think alot of canadians know alot more about the US than their own citizens, especially their history. The present may be most unattractive, but their past is rich and interesting.
Some of the best writers are american, many of us have american friends or relatives that are american. But we are curious about things by nature anyway, at least here in lotusland, that is british columbia, the true west :twisted: everything on the other side of the rockies...blah!
Even my own eastern uncle is a snowbird, phones the whole family tree always begging for company whists he is down there, blah! if I want to see a grapefruit, I can go to the grocery store.

Hey... I did a report on the Royal Newfoundland Regt. in the Great War. I got an A too.

Funny you say that, I wrote an essay on the Canadian contribution of D-Day. And I got an A also :D

I wonder how many Canadians can say they did something as equal as what we did? I am sure they would not have recieved a good grade for doing anything that shed a positive light on the US Military in any theater.

I dont know about anything else but the Canadians have long been overshadowed for their contribution to D-Day. How do you think I got an A ;) I did the research and spilled the beans :p Go Me! :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
I dont know about anything else but the Canadians have long been overshadowed for their contribution to D-Day. How do you think I got an A ;) I did the research and spilled the beans :p Go Me! :p

That, and it was fresh in your mind.... :p

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Okay you guys I want to see some funny shit later tonight so get to work :p I got to go to work now the mill calls with all its foul stench have a good one :lol: Cya

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Jay said:
I think not said:

Poor Bear at the Bronx Zoo craves Canadian meat

"Grizzlies feed mainly on insects, roots, nuts, berries, and small rodents. They also eat carrion (dead animals). At the Bronx Zoo, they get fruit, fish, and a nutritionally-complete, commercial carnivore diet."

You wouldn't sell me to the zoo...now would you....?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jay said:
I think not said:
Jay said:
I think not said:

Poor Bear at the Bronx Zoo craves Canadian meat

"Grizzlies feed mainly on insects, roots, nuts, berries, and small rodents. They also eat carrion (dead animals). At the Bronx Zoo, they get fruit, fish, and a nutritionally-complete, commercial carnivore diet."

You wouldn't sell me to the zoo...now would you....?

Sell you? I hadn't even thought of that....hmmmmm :p

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Top Eight Reasons NOT to immigrate to Canada

Hans said:
only a american would be so uninformed.

:roll:

Yes, you sound very bright. Try to put a logical sentence together.

cool_jedi

Apr 14, 2005
After reading on replies and rebuttals of the complainant, I tend to disagree with some rebuttals due to their harshness. The usual "oh they are pulling the race card again" attitude is rather irrational. Well maybe not all of Canada is racist but you cannot deny that racism and discrimination still exists in Canada.

Most of the rebuttals by Canadian posters tend to imply that Canada has absolutley no racism at all and that is the way it sounds to some readers. Care to reread some of your posts again??

Perhaps in Ontario and British Columbia that racism is harder to detect, but the more prodominant caucasian provinces tend to have more racism and it is a fact.

Adding to the fact that the media is also a bit racist and tends to be a bit rude to minorities sometimes.
Especially the TorontoSun, as it is one of the most racist,rudest, and pro-bush media companies out their. They should fire the nazis for their Caucasian-superiority views.

I am tired of how some posters here try to downplay the existence of racism and whitewashing the problems and pointing to the US all the time as some scapegoat.

Azalie

May 25, 2005
8. Discriminatory and Dishonest Immigration System.
Immigration to Canada is based on a point system, obtained with your education, qualifications and job experience. Points are good enough for immigration, but in Canada, they are not good enough to get a job in your field. Amazing, how the credentials that qualify you to come to Canada are the same credentials that don't qualify you for your profession in Canada. The reason is, Canada only wants immigrants to do the labor jobs - pizza delivery, driving taxis, factory work etc.

Actually, that is far from true. In order to immigrate into Canada you have to have either have family here who have already settled successfully, have a very well-paid, highly skilled job, or be able to invest $100 000 CAD right away. Those are your three number one ways to get in.

FACT: in my first year Canadian Studies course, to drive this fact home to us of how hard it is to get into Canada, our professor had our class (500 students, most of which are Canadian citizens) take the immigration application. Of 500 students, only 2 got in. One was a nurse. One came from a rich family.

There are many people who apply to immigrate into Canada, but only the highly skilled professionals get in. Unfortunately, even if htey have the skills necessary for their own countries, this doesn't mean tehy have the skills necessary for ours. The woman from Poland who cleaned our house for a few years had been an Xray technician in Poland, but had to get additional training here to be certified to practise in Canada, so was cleaning houses for money in the meantime (it also gave her time to become fluent in English).

I won't deny our immigration system is far from perfect. I won't deny the fact it has holes like swiss cheese. But it's not a bad system and we turn away a lot of potential immigrants every year. We want highly skilled professionals. We're not going to force them to run convenience stores, like the stereotype in the USA.

7. Out Of Control Cost Of Living.
From rent, to utility bills, to shopping, to phone, internet and cable bills, to gas, to car insurance, to eating out, to basically anything you have to pay for or buy, the cost of living in Canada has become astronomical. Recent immigrants are astonished as to how expensive everything is. It is estimated that compared to most countries around the world, the cost of living in Canada is on average five times greater.

Welcome to Canada, a developed nation. We have a good economy, we are located in the northern hemisphere (as are all developed nations) and stuff costs a lot here. Know why the cost of living here is high? Because we can afford it. We can't live on a dollar a day in wages like you can in other countries. Yes, it's a sad fact that in Canada,the amount I make is below the poverty line, and yet I make more than most people on this planet, so relatively speaking, I'm rich. But that's the fact of the matter between developed nations and undeveloped nations. Canada also has adequate medicine (including dental), sewage systems, and educational systems. That has resulted in our higher standards of living. I don't see that as a bad thing, either. But, this is all stuff I learned way back in high school. The original author of this list should already be aware of this.

6. Health Care Crisis.
Practicing physicians in Canada are in a shortage, 1 in 4 Canadians cannot get a family doctor. Canadian doctors are leaving to move permanently to the United States. Statistics Canada and the Canadian Medical Association both have identified that for every 1 American doctor that moves to Canada, 19 (nineteen) Canadian doctors move to the United States! Doctors in Canada are overworked and underpaid, and there is a cap on their salaries.

The doctor shortage is also a problem in the United States, which is why the US is offering so much money to the doctors that we have in Canada. Also, the medicine system in Canada is much higher quality than what currently exists in the US, so they are stealing our doctors for themselves. Not sure I'm being truthful? Of the 10 nations with the highest infant mortality rates (deaths of children aged 0-5), the only developed nation in the list is the USA (original source from Stats Canada). All the rest are very poverty-stricken undeveloped nations. That tells me that no matter how bad our medical system is in Canada, we're nowhere near as bad as the USA, despite the pressures we have on our system.

But our problem will be compounded by the fact that in about 10 years' time, 1 in 5 Canadians will be senior citizens. This is a result of the Baby Boomers reaching that age group. This means that more than 20% of our population will be out of the workforce and relying on government funds for their well-being. The actual percentage is higher than 20% because children are also seen as dependents. This leaves a small margin in the middle to provide the taxes badly needed for the CPP, EI, and other social welfare systems we have in existence in Canada. If you think it's bad now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

This relates back to the immigration point, though. This is why we skew our results to weed in doctors and physicians from other countries. WE NEED THEM!! We've known this for a while and we're trying to get them. Many of our current doctors come from places such as South Africa, and South Africa is pissed that we're stealing THEIR doctors.

It's a vicious cycle around the globe, and not one that will get any easier anytime soon.

5. Very High Taxes.
Yes, you have the GST, the PST, totaling 15%, on practically everything you purchase and many other taxes taken out of our weekly paycheck. You have to pay a whopping amount to the government, out of your hard earned salary, so that the government can turn around and give it to beer drinking, hockey watching welfare bums. Fair? It does not matter, it's Canada.

Canada doesn't pay nearly enough taxes. But, this list was also written by someone now living in the United States who has to pay for social services and such out of his own pocket. Our taxes pay for things like OHIP and garbage removal and such. We only pay about 33% of our income in income taxes. Many European countries are much higher htan this. I don't have the exact figures anymore, but I believe Sweden is the highest with income taxes over 50%. Also, I was told by someone in Finland last week that he's paying $1.50 Euro per litre in gas. That's a hell of a lot higher than the 83 cents per litre CAD I've heard people complaining about here. But the difference is taxation. About 60 cents per litre in Canada is taxes. In Europe, as you can see, the taxes on gas is much much higher, as the crude oil costs will not vary that much.

In short, you think Canada is bad for taxes? Try looking across the Atlantic.

4. Money Hungry Government.
Canadian Embassies around the world lie to foreigners, painting this picture that Canada is Utopia, because they want foreigners to come to Canada. Why? Because foreigners bring money! So after being deceived, these foreigners come. They must bring with them at least $10,000. Canada has an immigration quota of 250,000 per year. So please do the math, 250,000 multiplied by $10,000 each equals a whopping 2.5 Billion dollars that Canada gains from immigrants every year.

Actually, that figure isn't bad. $10 000 is more than enough to get you a place to live, and pay some bills, get some food, get some furniture, get a public transport pass and find a job which might take a few months. Let's work this out for downtown Toronto based on 2 months of self-sufficiency:
(prices are reasonable estimates)
Rent: $1000/month = $2000
Food: $100/month = $200
TTC Pass: $165/month = $330
Phone $40/month = $80
Water/Hydro: $200/month = $400

Already we're over $3000 and I'm not factoring in furniture, utensils, dishes, appliances, dish racks, towels, soap, toothbrush, dental bills, doctor appointments, entertainment (movies, tv), etc etc etc. $10 000 is a reasonable amount to prevent new immigrants from ending up homeless on the streets. This is not about being greedy, it's about giving new immigrants some financial advise to let them be financially self-sufficent while they look for work.

3. No Culture.
Unlike almost every other country in the world, Canada has no culture. Actually American culture is what dominates Canada. When was the last time you had some 'Canadian' food? There are no Canadian traditions and there is no national identity. What does it even mean to call yourself a 'Canadian'. . .nothing really. People living in Canada, still identify themselves as to where they 'originally' came from.

It was Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau who first coined the turn "multiculturalism" which is a word widely used in Canada today. We acknowledge the fact that we are a mixed bag, culturally, and we're damn proud of it. But we do have cultures that are distinctly ours, like Butter Tarts and tourtières. We have the Calgary Stampede and the Montreal Jazz Festival. We have the Hudson's Bay Company which began our economy 335 years ago using the fur trade. It's hard to define Canadian culture only because it's made up of so many smaller cultures all together. You can't go into the Maritimes and tell me there's no culture there. You can't visit Old Québec and Montéal and tell me there's no culture there. There is even culture bulging at the seams in downtown Toronto, with Greek town on the Danforth, China Town, Little Italy, Little India, and much much more. We have archetectural modern wonders such as SkyDome ("Rogers Centre"), CN Tower, and the Canal which connects Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. People come from all over the world to admire these archetectural marvels. We also pride the histories and cultures of the First Nations peoples who for too long in the history of Canada have had their cultures ingored and stifled. And let's not forget Cirque du Soleil, which has become a billion dollar business and performs all over the world.

There is a rich culture in Canada, but it is still growing. Canada is a very very young country, at 138 years old (as of 2005). We do not have centures of history as do most European countries, and our culture isn't largely dictated by the media as it is in the USA (with notable exceptions, such as New Orleans). Still, we are developing as a nation and in the process of doing so we are developing our culture.

2. Worst Weather.
Yes, Canada has the worst weather conditions of any country in the world. Freezing cold temperatures, snow, ice, hail, winds, storms etc. From the Prairie provinces to the Maritimes, from the Territories to southern Ontario, the weather is so horrific and disgusting that many Canadians leave Canada simply because of this reason alone.

Well, Canada is far enough North that we get four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. Over 99% of our population lives within 100 miles or whatever it is from the US/Canada border because not all of us are all that big on really cold temperatures. Still, in Vancouver you're lucky if you get 1 inch of snow in the winter. In Southern Ontario it's so wet that the snow usually leaves within a week or two. In the prairies it's so wet that they can have one snow fall and it'll stay there all winter (they could, but I'm sure they usually get more than one snowfall). Still, we don't have the hurricane seasons in Florida. We don't get the constant high temperatures you get that can kill you in Arizona and Texas. We don't have as many earthquakes as California. We don't have volcanos. We don't have tsunamis. The worst natural disasters we get are blizzards, a few tornados, and Hurricane Hazel which came to visit back in the 60s.

Our weather isn't very unusual, and it's not all that bad, either. We get droughts from time to time. We get rain. We get snow and sometimes a bit of hail. We get thunderstorms. Who doesn't? In England it basically rains 19 days out of 20 (I hear it's worse in Scotland). Here it's sunny more days than not. On the whole, from what I've heard, I think Canada has really good weather. No country has perfect weather, but you have to take the good w/ the bad and find what works for you.

Maybe not everyone likes Canadian weather, but I think it's unfair to say we're the worst. And for that fact, because of the way the Earth is tilted, our summers are cooler and our winters are warmer than they would be if we were in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm sure the summers are much much hotter and the winters are much much colder in Australia. I'd rather our more narrow range in temperature variation, m'self. Besides, less poisonous snakes.

1. No Jobs.
Yes, coast to coast, there are no jobs. Immigrants are highly qualified (MD's, PhD's, Lawyers, Engineers etc.) but they are driving taxi cabs, delivering pizza's or working in factories. Even people with bachelors degrees from Canadian Universities cannot find jobs after graduation. This is the tragedy associated with immigration to Canada. I feel sorry for those immigrants who are stuck in Canada for the rest of their lives. It is indeed a very sad and hopeless future.

Again, not entirely true. There are TONNES of jobs out there, it's just a matter of finding them. The graduates I know who do not currently work in a job related to their field haven't really tried. Also, most BA and BSc students don't necessarily go into jobs related to their schooling, but they do make a difference in the fields they work in. Some become newspaper editors. Some go into insurance (such as myself). The Premier of Ontario has a Bachelor's of Science. David Suzuki has a Bachelor's of English. There are computer programmers who started with a BA or BSc. Out of university, the fastest jobs you can find are the easy ones, such as retail. But how many BA and BSc students do you know that stay there?

Also, we have a dangerous shortage of jobs in certain areas. This author mentioned above that we desperately need more doctors. People could go for that, but it's not for everyone, either. We also need people in trade. Desperately. Okay, it's hard physical labour but it has HIGH PAY. You can be earning $50 000 in a couple years. You won't even necessarily be working all year, only seasonally. You can eventually work for yourself. We need people in contrustion, in plumbing, in electricity, in travel and tourism, in tool and die, in auto factories, etc etc. www.skilledtrades.ca. You don't really need much prior education to get into them (high school diploma_, but the more education you have, the higher you can go. Trade jobs are the jobs we will ALWAYS need. They build our houses, provide our homes with water, give us electricity and heat and so much more.

Trust me, go to Monster.ca. There is NO shortage of jobs out there. There's just a shortage of people having the motivation to look for them and apply.

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
DasFX said:
canuck3000 said:
for those interested in Immigrating to Canada read this:

Top Eight Reasons NOT to immigrate to Canada

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/top8reasons.htm

More like an over worked immigration system, this leads to your frustration.- I can't comment, I didn't immigrate here. If you ask me, the system is too lenient. We should screen immigrants more strictly. Horse Crap it is strict enough, I am currently watching my co worker struggle with the system to get his wife over here, he is full time employed at a good pay job and they are just too stretched to get it done quickly, (going on 9 months now)

7. Out Of Control Cost Of Living. Not necessarily, many places can afford the higher cost of living it is relative to where you live. If you want a lower cost of living don't move to the Toronto's, Montreals, Calgary's or Vancouvers. They aren't necessarily "the places" where the jobs are.
- I've only lived in Canada, but have traveled throughout the world and know that Europe is far more expensive as a place to live. Japan too is very expensive. In terms of the US, it too can be very expensive depending on where, same goes for Canada. Toronto may be expensive, but Regina is quite affordable.

6. Health Care Disaster. We do struggle with our health care system indeed, can't argue there. It is in serious need of restructure and do other countries have a 2 tiered system that is where I think we are headed

- Disaster is the wrong word. Crisis is better. I have a family doctor; I can make an appointment usually for the same day. I've waited around in hospital ERs, it sucks but it isn't the government’s entire fault. I say our problems are different, but overall I say we are no worse off than other 1st world countries.

5. Very High Taxes. Indeed yes, in Alberta we only pay GST.

- You get what you pay for. They could cut takes down to the bone, but then you would get nothing from the government. A good plan if you are rich, not if you are poor. I think the cost of living is more or less in line with our taxation level. If there were no sales tax, the prices would just go up cause they know people could afford it.

4. Money Hungry Government. Yep like the rest of em

- Name a government that isn't. Besides, we elected them so it is our fault.

3. No Culture. OMG if you have to crab and moan about our culture think about this..... we are an extremely young country our culture is still developing, we won't ever catch up to the middle east, or european, or asian or anyones culture. Ours is relative to our age. And we do have culture, we embrace, and integrate many others cultures to help build ours. How much culture can a province of 100 years have? Cut us some slack.
- Define culture. We are a mosaic; we have a culture of multiculturalism. Besides we do have several things distinct and inherent only with Canada.

2. Worst Weather. Oh geeze try siberia will ya

- According to whom? This is so subjective. This guy was from India, in terms of temperature, Canada is colder. Perhaps he viewed this as worse, but not everyone does. My dad loves the weather here; he hated the stifling heat in India when it would be 40+ Celsius for weeks, that's one of the reasons he left. The weather sucked (in his opinion).

1. No Jobs. What a joke that is. Maybe more effort is needed or better yet more understanding of what we require for you to work, ie (English good knowledge of and how to use it and don't get me started here)
- Really, I got one. Perhaps, I'm an exception, but that doesn't really explain why there are so many cars on the road at 7AM and then again at 3:30PM, could it be all those millions of people are going to and from their jobs? Couldn't be, I thought there were none.

Hey just because you don't get a job doesn't mean there are no jobs.

This all being said, coming to Canada is tough, the streets are not paved with gold or any other precious metal.
[/list]

My closing points on this close minded attitude... go back to where you came from, it obviuosly is better in your eyes and quit putting us down because we aren't handing you a new life on a silver platter.
We have green space, do you? We have relatively low crime, do you? We have freedom, do you? We respect others, including our women, do you?
Ok I rest my case.... for now.

cool_jedi

Apr 14, 2005
RE: Top Eight Reasons NOT

Only the best get in?? more like the opposite most of the time. I ask them some basic high school physics questions and all I got was blank stares most of the time. What happened there??

Me? I am a student in Canada and whenever I go do some part time jobs, most immigrants just don't know what I am talking about most of the time.

Surelly there isn't a flaw in the immigration system??

Leaving Canada would be no problem for me but bad experiences, ESPECIALLY canadian experiences tend to stick and have some nasty prolonging side-effects such as angst,broken heart,depression, feeling of betrayed and nightmares. I haven't gotten over it and Canada still owes me on that. so much for comming to the kingdom of eternal darkness anyway.

Gator Girl

Jul 3, 2005
We do not have a culture because we have many cultures. Our country is made up of many immigrants, immigrants who want a better life than what they have in their own country. You bet we have all come from somewhere else. I bet most of the Americans have to. People weren't ALWAYS in America, you came over from somewhere else too.

PodPad

Sep 20, 2005
Telford, Shropshire, England
Having read the above threads I have regitered in order to make a few points. My wife and I are both anglo saxon english and we have decided to move from England to Canada.

HOW ON EARTH????? can some people take such a major, life altering decision like immigrating to a different country so likely, what do they expect? Thousands of dollars handed out to them when they get to the airport? These people obviously have their reasons for immigrating, but surley if they don't feel it is any better they should just shut the hell up and dissapear back to the place they thought so bad in the first place.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE MEAL!!! I for one will remember that when (and if) we are able to emmigrate - those people moaning should count themselves lucky as everyone knows not everybody gets in.

Sorry my first post is a rant but it was really p!!!!!!! me off!!! :D

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto
Immigration to Canada is based on a point system, obtained with your education, qualifications and job experience. Points are good enough for immigration, but in Canada, they are not good enough to get a job in your field. Amazing, how the credentials that qualify you to come to Canada are the same credentials that don't qualify you for your profession in Canada. The reason is, Canada only wants immigrants to do the labor jobs - pizza delivery, driving taxis, factory work etc.

As someone living in Toronto, with close immigrant friends (though not an immigrant myself), I do agree with point number one in a qualified sense. I do not think it is a matter of discrimination and dishonesty, so much as a lack of communication. It's true that the degree that gets you in the country isn't recognised once you're in here. This happens to scores of people from all over the world. It begs the question: if the degree is recognised as a means to enter the country, why is it not recognised once you're here?

The government is importing skilled workers to leave them to wander about by themselves in a foreign country, unaware of where to go or what to do to upgrade. There is no single agency to contact on this issues because credentials for certain jobs vary province to province, since education is a provincial power, and people who aren't from Canada often don't know where to go to get help. You have to wade through various levels of bureaucracy, often saying contradictory things, in order to get any information. It's incredibly confusing.

It would make much more sense if the government were to tell people up front that we want a doctor, you have experience but in order to qualify as a doctor in Canada, you'll need to do X program and here's the information on how long it will take you to complete the course. Nothing like that exists but it should. Immigrants feel betrayed when they find out that they've left everything behind in their home country, staked their entire financial situation on coming here, only to find out that they can't get even an equivalent job or position to what they possessed back home. And they should be able to get that- otherwise, why are they coming here? These are people who already possess a certain standard of living, and there's no reason why they would move to a new country to have a lower standard of living. Personally, I think this is a failure on behalf of the Canadian government that isn't intentional, but if you're a foreigner and unaware of the government, you're going to feel exploited.

The rest of the points, though, are just an ill-spirited rant:

7. Out Of Control Cost Of Living.
From rent, to utility bills, to shopping, to phone, internet and cable bills, to gas, to car insurance, to eating out, to basically anything you have to pay for or buy, the cost of living in Canada has become astronomical. Recent immigrants are astonished as to how expensive everything is. It is estimated that compared to most countries around the world, the cost of living in Canada is on average five times greater.

He should provide a source for his claim. I don't see any reason to rebut an unsubstantiated assertion.

He mentions he comes from India, and considering his family was presumably part of the educated class there, I think I understand why he says this. In India, there is acute poverty, so people who come from middle class families often keep one or two servants to do the household chores for them. This is possible only because there are people nearly starving to death and willing to work for enough money just to eat. So when they come here and realise they'll have to do their own cooking and cleaning, their own household chores, they're shocked. They're not used to paying a fair wage for a person's labour, and maybe it does appear to be five times what they'd pay back home, but what they're paying back home is a sweatshop rate.

6. Health Care Crisis.
Practicing physicians in Canada are in a shortage, 1 in 4 Canadians cannot get a family doctor. Canadian doctors are leaving to move permanently to the United States. Statistics Canada and the Canadian Medical Association both have identified that for every 1 American doctor that moves to Canada, 19 (nineteen) Canadian doctors move to the United States! Doctors in Canada are overworked and underpaid, and there is a cap on their salaries.

Well, brain drain doesn't affect only the medical profession, and it's true that American professionals are often paid more than Canadian professionals. It makes sense, though- they pay out of pocket for many services provided here by the government. Also, the United States as a market is nearly ten times the size of Canada, and the result is that with so many people purchasing products and services, you can lower the cost. What you lose in profit on individual items/services you make up by selling overall greater numbers of your merchandise or service. You can't do that here. The result is that people earn more money though they charge less, because of the sheer amount of consumption down south. Whereas in Canada the issue is retaining enough doctors to serve everyone because of influences like brain drain, in the U.S. the dynamic plays out differently where there are literally millions of Americans who can't afford medical care and therefore have none. The end result of lack of service is comparable in both cases, though the causes are significantly different.

5. Very High Taxes.
Yes, you have the GST, the PST, totaling 15%, on practically everything you purchase and many other taxes taken out of our weekly paycheck. You have to pay a whopping amount to the government, out of your hard earned salary, so that the government can turn around and give it to beer drinking, hockey watching welfare bums. Fair? It does not matter, it's Canada.

Well, after just getting through a Conservative provincial Ontarian gov't, our income taxes, etc., have all actually decreased. What's taken out of your paycheque is your Employment Insurance premium (you collect if laid off), Canada Pension Plan (you collect in old age), and income taxes. I don't know what's unreasonable about that.

I think the statement about the government giving money to beer drinking, hockey watching welfare bums says a lot of the way this person hates Canadians. He automatically assumes that only born and raised Canadians are on the service (not true, many immigrants are as well), and are so undeservedly. At least in Ontario, welfare is so low that most people can barely afford to pay the rent and eat, let alone buy liquor. We have a social responsibility to help those less fortunate, and perhaps its better he moved to another country presumably more welcoming to his cut-throat, money-grubbing nature.

4. Money Hungry Government.
Canadian Embassies around the world lie to foreigners, painting this picture that Canada is Utopia, because they want foreigners to come to Canada. Why? Because foreigners bring money! So after being deceived, these foreigners come. They must bring with them at least $10,000. Canada has an immigration quota of 250,000 per year. So please do the math, 250,000 multiplied by $10,000 each equals a whopping 2.5 Billion dollars that Canada gains from immigrants every year.

As already mentioned, $10, 000 is actually a meagre amount of money one can expect to have in reserve to get through till settled with a job. It's not as though immigrants cut a cheque to the government for coming here, that money is used by the immigrants for their day-to-day living expenses.

Also, here we have another unsubstantiated assertion. Canadian embassies are lying...and we're to take this on his word? When he so clearly has an axe to grind, one can't help but question whether this statement is a reflection of his personal bias and hatred of all us beer swilling welfare bums. :roll: Really, good riddance!

3. No Culture.
Unlike almost every other country in the world, Canada has no culture. Actually American culture is what dominates Canada. When was the last time you had some 'Canadian' food? There are no Canadian traditions and there is no national identity. What does it even mean to call yourself a 'Canadian'. . .nothing really. People living in Canada, still identify themselves as to where they 'originally' came from.

No culture? Culture communicates our values, and I think it's pretty easy to discuss Canadian values. We believe in democracy, and all that entails (freedom of speech, religion, association), we believe in strong women's rights & equality of the sexes, we believe in a society where tolerance prevails over differences of opinion and racism/discrimination is not acceptable, we believe in a society where all people are giving a fair opportunity to progress in life and reject the institutionalisation of class systems.

I'll take all that over a uniquely ethnic way of singing or dressing any day, which is not to say we don't have unique foods, clothing, or other cultural products. Canada has produced many highly successful authors, singers, dancers...you name it. Yes, we have borrowed heavily from our roots, but that doesn't mean we haven't contributed anything unique. We've taken things from the world and added our own twists to it.

Being a Muslim Indian, I wonder if he feels that the entire culture related to the Islamic court of the Mughals (much esteemed by Muslim Indians) was merely a rip-off of Persian and Arabic culture, or whether that culture is uniquely Indian because of its adaptation/adjustment between the local culture and that the Muslims brought with them? It was in the end a new product. Canada develops it culture in much the same way, we just haven't been doing it for hundreds of years the way his people have been. Ultimately, if we have no culture, neither do his ancestors.

2. Worst Weather.
Yes, Canada has the worst weather conditions of any country in the world. Freezing cold temperatures, snow, ice, hail, winds, storms etc. From the Prairie provinces to the Maritimes, from the Territories to southern Ontario, the weather is so horrific and disgusting that many Canadians leave Canada simply because of this reason alone.

His native India's weather is like eating a hot, raw chilli in the summer. Not any more desirable than the extreme cold you find in some parts of our nation. The upside is that while in hot countries like India you can only take so much off to adjust to the weather, in Canada you can put on as much as necessary to deal with the cold. ;) :)

Also, his last statement about people leaving the country just for the weather...also, another rant, no actual facts behind that than his own, uninformed opinion.

1. No Jobs.
Yes, coast to coast, there are no jobs. Immigrants are highly qualified (MD's, PhD's, Lawyers, Engineers etc.) but they are driving taxi cabs, delivering pizza's or working in factories. Even people with bachelors degrees from Canadian Universities cannot find jobs after graduation. This is the tragedy associated with immigration to Canada. I feel sorry for those immigrants who are stuck in Canada for the rest of their lives. It is indeed a very sad and hopeless future.

If no jobs is the reason we got rid of this uninformed crank, well, I'll be happy to say we don't have any. Saying it, though, would go against the daily onslaught I see of help wanted signs everywhere, but for the greater good of exporting him to whine in the Caribbean instead of somewhere nearby, I'll do it.

I'll just add that in my own friend's immigrant experience- my best friend's father is a successful engineer here in Canada, and didn't have to upgrade or change anything with his education- his Indian degree & Middle-Eastern experience was good enough to be recognised here; my best friend's mother had to take some courses but is now teaching in a public school; another friend's father is in the same industry working in a bank- not as high up as he was back home, but still at the top; this friend's mother works at Alliance Atlantis as a secretary (very well paid); another friend who came from South Africa is now working as the personal assistant to the CEO of an investment company; the list goes on. Show me a bad story, I can show you success stories. The working and gov't institutions of Canada are open to new comers- what they do with the opportunity speaks of their mettle as a man or woman.

Oh, and as an aside, as a university of Toronto student, I've seen many people who simply couldn't make the grade cut here go to the Caribbean to pursue their education in medicine. Generally, the education standards there are lower, but if you're willing to pay tens of thousands of U.S. dollars/year, you can still get a medical degree. I can't help but wonder what his degree is actually worth, and I feel justified in saying he certainly couldn't practice here unless he went back to school. I personally think the medical service we end up with is certainly a higher class as a result. ;)