Top Eight Reasons NOT to immigrate to Canada

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Oh come on folks, it just Giraldi thinking its halloween, and trying to trick us with his bad costume. I know that guys writing anywhere, unless he has figured out how to clone himself...Crazytown I tell ya :lol: :lol:

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Philosopher

Nominee Member
Re: RE: Top Eight Reasons NOT

Canada is vastely cultureless. Canada is a compilation of multiple cultures. The most dominant of these cultures as stated correctly is the American one. The most prominent forms of music in Canada are American ones (Jazz, Rock, Rap, and Techno). Inside of this American cultural domination are smaller cultures with a lot of them acting independently of the rest of the nation. Look at Quebec, look at Chinatowns, and such.

I mean, the reason why we have such a centralized government system is because we have too diverse of cultures. When you look at Canada you do not see much that is distinctively Canadian. In fact you can only name a handfull of things that are distincitively Canadian. But when you do that it is only regionally Canadian. Inukshuks are not really Canadians, they are more of a native thing.

Things like kitchen parties can be traced to Gaelic roots.

I do agree that Canada has no distinctive culture, but I disagree with that being a reason not to come to Canada. In fact, that's a better reason to come to Canada. Why to go Romania? You'll only see one culture there. If you come to Canada you can see dozens of cultures.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"I mean, the reason why we have such a centralized government system is because we have too diverse of cultures. "

really?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Twila said:
Canadian Food
Canadian Bacon
Canadian Maple syrup
Smarties.

Canadian Culture:
Hockey
Beer
Kitchen parties (NS)
Boony Bashes (BC)
RCMP-Can't find that anywhere else

People living in Canada, still identify themselves as to where they 'originally' came from.
Cause we never hear the term Afro American used to describe a certain ethnic group.

Theres a lot more, but someone gets the point I'm sure.

C

Canadian Maple Syrup? Never heard of it.

I've heard of Vermont Maple Syrup... I imagine they are the same. :wink:

The first I heard of Canadian Bacon (ie smoked ham) is when McDonalds came out with the Egg McMuffin. I think they used that because it fit so nicely on that American Capitalist Breakfast Icon Sandwich.

Thanks for the Canadian Bacon Canada!

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
I would say that the guy who wrote the Top Ten B@£*L**cks is not very well travelled. I mean we pay 17.5% tax on everything we buy, the cost of living is at least 2 times more than in Canada and the wages are not!! One of the great attractions to Canada is it's diverse culture a mix from around the World. The immigration system is great(unless then turn us down...then I will think it's crap) we are copying it in the UK now to try and control immigration a bit.

Canada is great- who cares if there is no Canadian food- chill and have a curry!!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Top Eight Reasons NOT

Canada is vastely cultureless. Canada is a compilation of multiple cultures.

I think I know what your attempting to say, but isn't it impossible to have No culture? That in itself would be the culture.

If you look back through history you see how people migrated from 1 place to another taking with them their traditions. How long must a custom, tradition be in a location before it's considered part of that culture?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The charges of us being cultureless are unfounded allegations made by ill-informed sources.

I'm practicing my poli-speak. How is it? :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Oh good. I've been having trouble with the evading the subject part, but I'm working on it. I was watching CPAC the other day and I kept track...politicians from all parties spoke for one hour and seventeen minutes without actually saying anything. Then I switched to NewsWorld and watched the official spinners (one from each party)...in 15 minutes or so one of them made one point. It made the other three turn red, like he had broken some kind of code of conduct or something.

I think it's because they wear ties.

Toro

Senate Member
peapod said:
But you are lumping in all americans with that statement, and that is not true. There are many that know alot about canada. Thats why they are buying alot of land right here on my island. Quite a few of from where you live, they seems to love cortez island, new yorkers. So they found out about lotusland somehow :wink:

One of the Canadian polling firms did a poll a few years ago asking Americans what the biggest industries were in Canada. Number 4 on the list was "fur-trapping", right behind "hockey equipment manufacturing." Americans don't know much about Canada.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Toro said:
peapod said:
But you are lumping in all americans with that statement, and that is not true. There are many that know alot about canada. Thats why they are buying alot of land right here on my island. Quite a few of from where you live, they seems to love cortez island, new yorkers. So they found out about lotusland somehow :wink:

One of the Canadian polling firms did a poll a few years ago asking Americans what the biggest industries were in Canada. Number 4 on the list was "fur-trapping", right behind "hockey equipment manufacturing." Americans don't know much about Canada.

You are right, the southern states no little about Canada, but the bordering Northern Us States generally have a pretty good idea about us.

I think that most Canadians really know little about the US, just as most US citizens know little about Canada. The really sad part is that a lot of Canadians know little about Canada, either. :(

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I don't really agree with that statement bluealberta. I think alot of canadians know alot more about the US than their own citizens, especially their history. The present may be most unattractive, but their past is rich and interesting.
Some of the best writers are american, many of us have american friends or relatives that are american. But we are curious about things by nature anyway, at least here in lotusland, that is british columbia, the true west :twisted: everything on the other side of the rockies...blah!
Even my own eastern uncle is a snowbird, phones the whole family tree always begging for company whists he is down there, blah! if I want to see a grapefruit, I can go to the grocery store.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Toro said:
peapod said:

LMAO

That was hilarious Toro. This truly brightened my day. I always get a kick out of surveys like this. Fur Trapping had to be a leading question though. I wonder if they were given a list of industries to rate. Most people wouldn't know a fur trap unless they stepped in one.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
peapod said:
I don't really agree with that statement bluealberta. I think alot of canadians know alot more about the US than their own citizens, especially their history. The present may be most unattractive, but their past is rich and interesting.
Some of the best writers are american, many of us have american friends or relatives that are american. But we are curious about things by nature anyway, at least here in lotusland, that is british columbia, the true west :twisted: everything on the other side of the rockies...blah!
Even my own eastern uncle is a snowbird, phones the whole family tree always begging for company whists he is down there, blah! if I want to see a grapefruit, I can go to the grocery store.

Hey... I did a report on the Royal Newfoundland Regt. in the Great War. I got an A too.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
EagleSmack said:
peapod said:

Hey... I did a report on the Royal Newfoundland Regt. in the Great War. I got an A too.

Funny you say that, I wrote an essay on the Canadian contribution of D-Day. And I got an A also :D

Harris 4 PM

Jun 6, 2005

The "no culture" thing pisses me off the most.

This is a lie that is especially promoted by French nationalists I dont know why they do it personally, some way to support their cause maybe? Dunno, but anyone is either a fool or isn't looking hard enough that thinks there is not a distinctly Canadian culture.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Harris 4 PM said:
The "no culture" thing pisses me off the most.

This is a lie that is especially promoted by French nationalists I dont know why they do it personally, some way to support their cause maybe? Dunno, but anyone is either a fool or isn't looking hard enough that thinks there is not a distictly Canadian culture.

I'd like some info on that Harris, would you mind sharing some of your views? Thanks :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think not said:
EagleSmack said:
peapod said:

Funny you say that, I wrote an essay on the Canadian contribution of D-Day. And I got an A also :D

I wonder how many Canadians can say they did something as equal as what we did? I am sure they would not have recieved a good grade for doing anything that shed a positive light on the US Military in any theater.