• No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Re: Kerry Says Chemical Arms Attack in Syria Is ‘Undeniable’

Does anyone think there might be a connection to the sarin gas that Syrians had in their possession (supposidly) found in Turkey? If, in fact, these Syrians are Al Quaida, who's to say that they don't have access to the same gas within Syrian borders? So how can anyone say that it was the government who did the deed? To me it's awfully suspicious, especially when someone in the US gov't said that the rebels don't have access to the gas and even if they did they don't have access to missles required to to dispense the gas. Says who?

I have a sneaking suspician that there are those who want outstide interference so the whole ME will explode!

How many times have you heard complaints about innocents being slaughtered and then when someone actually tries to stop it, it's outside interference on an internal matter - a no win situation and nobody will thank you - just call you imperialists in imposing your beliefs. I think, despite what's happening, we need to sit this out and let them sort it out, (even if its against everything I believe in).

Iraq and Afganistan (especially Iraq) are perfect examples of why we need to let them sort things out.

JMHO

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Just thinking outside the box here. . . since the two big problems everybody in America is banging on about are Assad and Miley Cyrus, why don't we just drop Miley Cyrus on Assad?

Just get her to sing or act. Assad would surrender straight away.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Many of the rebels are radical Islamists who have been filmed beheading anyone who opposes them , they're the most likely candidates for committing a sarin attack.

I'd say just as likely. Nobody is innocent over there.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Scandals? What scandals.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

"Dark Days of Saddam"??? Geez, what a duche Blair is. The days of Saddam were like a summer picnic compared it to the shape the Brits and Yanks left it in.

I'd say just as likely. Nobody is innocent over there.

The kids are. And they are dropping like flies. And Obama and Tony Blair and David Cameron just can't wait to get in on the action. Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

"Dark Days of Saddam"??? Geez, what a duche Blair is. The days of Saddam were like a summer picnic compared it to the shape the Brits and Yanks left it in.

A summer picnic huh? Why of course it was!

The kids are. And they are dropping like flies. And Obama and Tony Blair and David Cameron just can't wait to get in on the action. Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

I wasn't talking about "the kids".

I can't believe we are going to bomb Syria. Are you bleeping kidding me!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Even if it is true...

I still can't believe we're going to yet another country to add to its mess.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

3 reasons for attacking Syria:
  1. Money
  2. Money
  3. Money

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Can we be sure there was really a gas attack? After all, if the UN says there was a gas attack, and the UN is always wrong, tehn that must mean there was no gas attacki, eh?

It's time we leave the UN,... unless it reduces our chances to bug their offices of course.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

"Syria is a Sovereign Nation fighting al Qaeda" - Assad

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Even if it is true...

I still can't believe we're going to yet another country to add to its mess.

But isn't the best way out of national debt to frivolously spend your way out of it?

C'mon, Eagle, think outside the box. Worst case scenario, print your way out of debt. Worked for the Weimar Republic... er... never mind.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Americans Are Sick of War

We noted last month than Congress is less popular than North Korea, cockroaches, lice, root canals, colonoscopies, traffic jams, used car salesmen, Genghis Khan, Communism, BP during the Gulf oil spill, Nixon during Watergate or King George during the American Revolution.

The Washington Post notes today that a Syria intervention is less popular than Congress. So that means that the American people would much rather get a root canal or a colonoscopy than bomb Syria.
Indeed, while John Kerry announced today that the Syrian government used chemical weapons, Reuters noted:
The polls suggest that so far, the growing crisis in Syria, and the emotionally wrenching pictures from an alleged chemical attack in a Damascus suburb this week, may actually be hardening many Americans’ resolve not to get involved in another conflict in the Middle East.
The bottom line is that Americans are sick of war.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

We noted last month than Congress is less popular than North Korea, cockroaches, lice, root canals, colonoscopies, traffic jams, used car salesmen, Genghis Khan, Communism, BP during the Gulf oil spill, Nixon during Watergate or King George during the American Revolution.

The Washington Post notes today that a Syria intervention is less popular than Congress. So that means that the American people would much rather get a root canal or a colonoscopy than bomb Syria.
Indeed, while John Kerry announced today that the Syrian government used chemical weapons, Reuters noted:
The polls suggest that so far, the growing crisis in Syria, and the emotionally wrenching pictures from an alleged chemical attack in a Damascus suburb this week, may actually be hardening many Americans’ resolve not to get involved in another conflict in the Middle East.

It's probably because the US economy is sick of war. Subs don't grow on trees after all.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

After Iraq, why would they back anything?

doesn't war serve as a short-term economic stimulus?

yeah, yeah, never mind the long-term debt, inflation, and high interest rates it promotes. We have to look to the short term here, and we need jobs now. Worry about the futrue later. ;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Stimulus? The DOW dropped 100 points today because of this.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Syria use chemical weapons in a Civil War in which the tide of battle has clearly turned in their favour over the last months.

It seems the use of chemicals would be an act of desperation used on attacking troops as a last resort to being overrun, rather than in a minor engagement in an urban area against civilians. They are first and foremost a tactical battlefield weapon. Syria would be well aware their use would bring in Western military intervention.. likely in Air Support and Cruise Missiles for the rebels.. and for which Syria has no defense.

Who would gain from this.. only the Opposition Forces which are losing ground on all fronts now. It strikes me as the most likely perpetrators might be the opposition itself.. which is filled with radical and messianic Islamic factions which have at least as little regard for human life as the Assad forces.. even those on their own side.. and many sources for chemical weapons in the Islamic world.

This all reminds me of the absolute certainty with which the Bush administration trumpeted the presence of WMDs before the Iraq War.. in Congress, the UN, all public media... followed by an obscure announcement that there were in fact NO WMDs several months later.. AND which anyone who looked at the situation objectively realized well before the War.

It was simply an EXCUSE to invade.. and secure oil supplies... and produced the calamity that is now Iraq.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

But isn't the best way out of national debt to frivolously spend your way out of it?

C'mon, Eagle, think outside the box. Worst case scenario, print your way out of debt. Worked for the Weimar Republic... er... never mind.

Well we haven't stopped printing money... how else are we going to stay afloat?