The Complete Wikileaks Thread(All threads merged here!)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Re: WikiLeaks shocker

My suspicious mind tasks me in thinking that this would be a great way to spread misinformation if someone decided to use it in that manner. Like if you knew where the leaks were coming from and fed a few tidbits in with all the stuff you were less worried about than you let on.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

The Private accused of leaking this information should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

The Private accused of leaking this information should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
It is certainly treason. Whoever it is (they are) they'll be looking at 4 walls in Supermax for their remaining lives.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yeah.....we'll see him in about 50 years....the idiot!

Funny thing is, most of the leaks have just made the USA look better...........like Arab countries encouraging a reluctant US to bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran. lol

Reasonable characterisations of world leaders....

As for spying at the UN.....grow up!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I have to confess, I view this as somewhat akin to neighbours fighting in the street: its there in front of me, but I don't want to see it. I don't want to see a husband and wife drag out all their intimate secrets and problems in public and I don't want to know everything that another country does either. For the most part its none of my business. I know there are a lot of anti-Americans, especially in places like the GTA (like Liberalman), who feel different and I hope they enjoy the feeling of moral superiority they gain by digging through someone else's dirty laundry.

As for whats been posted here, its all snoozefest material. For something that was supposed to be damaging to the US, its been a dud for the most part. The most incriminating thing showing up here is spying at the UN. Wow. I bet the Russians, Chinese and other countries never dreamt of this happening or doing it themselves...

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Re: U.S. to Canada: WikiLeaks release may hurt relations

Who's your local candidate?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Wiki Leaks started out as a really good concept and has morphed into this ridiculous site akin to the National Enquirer.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Wiki Leaks started out as a really good concept and has morphed into this ridiculous site akin to the National Enquirer.

The only difference is that those they're exposing are not denying the facts presented and are now going nuts trying to figure out how to prevent more information being leaked.... sounds like they're doing their job they were meant to do, just that some people now don't like that they're doing their job and it's no longer just a bunch of conspiracy crap.

If their concept was good and they're meeting their concept, how can it no longer be a good concept? :-?

Because it works?

On a side note, I don't see the big upset over these leaked documents.... people complaining about them being traitors or compromising our security......

...... Think about it..... if these guys can obtain this type of information and expose it to the rest of the world, it shows that probably anybody with the same drive to get this information can do it too, including our enemies...... they expose the ability to gain this information despite the government's best attempts to not release this information..... they expose the flaws in the government's system and thus, if the government wants these things to remain secret, they need to fix their system until this type of information is secure.

Regardless of the political fallout from the information they provide (which I have no problem with), they are either directly or indirectly helping governments improve their security and ability to maintain control over such information...... otherwise, nothing would change and others with similar resources as WikiLeaks would be able to obtain the same information and use it to their own advantage.

By exposing it all for everybody to read, it levels the playing field in regards to the information...... thus, if the enemy gains knowledge of this information, it's not that big of a deal since everybody knows of this information...... and if any of this information put any soldiers or citizens at future risk, obviously things will change and be modified so that they don't..... therefore the information provided will soon be useless to anybody other then those who want to hold the government(s) responsible for their past actions.

Big Whoop.

I have to confess, I view this as somewhat akin to neighbours fighting in the street: its there in front of me, but I don't want to see it. I don't want to see a husband and wife drag out all their intimate secrets and problems in public and I don't want to know everything that another country does either. For the most part its none of my business.

The thing is, is that these neighbors you speak of are not exactly just your neighbors.... it's your neighbors and how they treat your family which you're a part of.... any Canadian involvement in these things is our business since our government is supposed to work for us, not us work for them..... How can our government work for us when they don't tell us wtf they're doing and/or continually cover up or neglect to tell us of their wrong doings?

When our government does something wrong, people around the world relate their wrong doing's as our, the people's, wrong doing as they represent us, we voted them into power and therefore we are in a way, responsible for our government's actions.

I'm a part of this family in the neighborhood too and I don't want to remain ignorant to the crimes or wrong doings my neighbors may conduct on me, my family or my other neighbors I care about. I also would want to know if my family is responsible for any wrong doings at the same time...... and just turning a blind eye and stating that "it's none of my concern" is a cop out from our responsibilities as concerned citizens of a democratic state.

If you continually ignore what our governments do, if you continually avoid asking exactly wtf our governments are up to and if you continually avoid holding our governments accountable for their actions...... then you might as well no longer call our nations a Democracy, because there is no longer any control or accountability placed on our governments, they're given the impression that nobody cares what they get away with or what they do, thus they'll take it upon themselves to do what ever they damn well please because they know they can get away with it.

I know there are a lot of anti-Americans, especially in places like the GTA (like Liberalman), who feel different and I hope they enjoy the feeling of moral superiority they gain by digging through someone else's dirty laundry.
And claiming it's none of your dirty laundry is no better...... we as a nation or government are either directly involved or we're accessories to our neighbor's actions by going along with these plans and actions..... and because of that, our government is accountable..... and if we don't find our governments accountable for their actions relating to some or all of these leaks/actions/wrong doings, then the accountability lies directly on all of us for letting our governments get away with this crap.

As for whats been posted here, its all snoozefest material. For something that was supposed to be damaging to the US, its been a dud for the most part. The most incriminating thing showing up here is spying at the UN. Wow. I bet the Russians, Chinese and other countries never dreamt of this happening or doing it themselves...
Ah, so in other words, it's perfectly fine to stoop to the lower levels of those we finger point as being not as good as us?

If that's the case, then what makes us any better then them?

Nothing..... and therefore, we're hypocrites.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Here is a scoop for ya. Just as in America politicians all over the globe are ALLOWED to insider trade on whatever they please.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

No. He's brave and heroic. The American public is too dumb when it comes to the corruption of their own government, they must know the truth.
Anyone who doesn't like this would prefer the American government commit their crimes in secrecy, everyone with this view should be lynched.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

No. He's brave and heroic. The American public is too dumb when it comes to the corruption of their own government, they must know the truth.
Anyone who doesn't like this would prefer the American government commit their crimes in secrecy, everyone with this view should be lynched.

True enough. Everyone in the various govts. probably knew most of the leaked stuff anyhow.

But the pvt. WILL be scapegoated and probably will do some long time. Too bad it hadn't been a major general. "They'd" probably just say he was suffering from overwork, and give him some time off:roll:

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Dumb is the inability to speak.

Explaining National Security to you would be like trying to analyze a bowl of marshmallows so carry on.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

...........................the leaks have been quite tame, like leaks earlier this year on the same site regarding the Afghanistan and Iraq wars: Snoozefests of low-grade intel.
The best way for the Americans and others to handle these eruptions would be to yawn and say “been there, done that,” rather than running around acting frantic. Julian Assange, the vain, nerdy WikiLeaks founder thrives on attention and on knowing he has panicked world leaders. The best way to get back at him would be to ignore him.

Read more: Lorne Gunter: Next scoop from WikiLeaks — Hugh Hefner likes blondes | Full Comment | National Post

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Marshmallows (Knox gelatin, cold water, sugar, boiling water, salt) are far easier than National Security.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Assange will myteriously die in a car or plane crash or be linked to hookers and cocaine very soon.

Just watch......

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Canada-U.S. relations strong despite WikiLeaks, Cannon says

Cannon was briefed by U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and U.S. Ambassador David Jacobson on cables about Canada that have not yet been released by WikiLeaks and he described it as “very raw data and it doesn’t reflect the U.S.’s foreign policy.”

“What I can tell you is that it’s not complex, or complicated information that could compromise relations between Canada and the U.S.,” he told reporters in Gatineau, Que.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Can...180/story.html

Hmm.. well, that was uneventful. I'm still hoping to be surprised though.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

It's not just entirely about the US and their wrong doings..... he's also exposing our own nation's involvement in these events (Canada, UK, Australia, Middle East, etc.)..... and while much of this isn't a surprise to me in regards to the stunts the US pulls around the globe.... I'm far more interested in the parts that involve our nation and our leaders and knowing how deep their hands go in the cookie jar.

If there isn't anything serious, fine..... if there is, then those need to be addressed..... either way, We all have a right to know what our leaders are doing in our "Good" name as a nation and "National Security" is just a cop out to avoid responsibility for one's actions......

Citing "National Security" has been the scape goat of many atrocities and wrong doings throughout history by a number of countries and leaders..... and people should in no way, ever accept the claim of "National Security" as being the final say and then leaving it at that without getting any answers.

"National Security" was the excuse we were all given for why there wasn't much "Evidence" presented to the public over Iraq having WMD..... besides showing us a bunch of roofs from a satellite shot claiming the weapons are hiding under those roofs, whenever asked for more concrete proof, it wasn't provided and they weren't going to provide it, due to "National Security"

Yet later we discover that there never were any WMD, there was never any solid evidence or proof of WMD in Iraq..... yet people just accepted the "National Security" excuse and went completely blinded into this war that accomplished nothing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

It's not just entirely about the US and their wrong doings..... he's also exposing our own nation's involvement in these events (Canada, UK, Australia, Middle East, etc.)..... and while much of this isn't a surprise to me in regards to the stunts the US pulls around the globe.... I'm far more interested in the parts that involve our nation and our leaders and knowing how deep their hands go in the cookie jar.
Bougainville Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

La dee da da dee. La dee da da da. The Beat Goes On.......