The Complete Wikileaks Thread(All threads merged here!)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Step down off your soapbox for just a second. I think your misunderstanding my statement. Julian Assange is not a crusader for the little guy or the caped truth giver. He is a business man, and now it looks as though this man's business is being given a wide birth by the people who pay and collect his cash for him.

Well, debating over whether Wikileaks and Assange are going to be successful is a bit of a moot point. I'm pretty sure he doesn't care if he's not uber rich or anything. I'm not even sure how or why this is even a bother to you. Wikileaks will continue to exist and continue to have its alliances with the media publications like The Guardian and Der Spiegel so that they can make the information as widespread as possible. That's all they need really and that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Whether or not he is a 'crusader for the little guy' is a bit subjective. Wikileaks is simply releasing information that continues to reaffirm what a joke U.S. foreign policy is. That has immediate benefits for making the general public aware enough that the U.S. is a hegemony. And appeasing a change in government becomes the new bullet point on the voting ballot.

Transparency worked, so what's the problem?

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wikileaks is simply releasing information that continues to reaffirm what a joke U.S. foreign policy is. That has immediate benefits for making the general public aware enough that the U.S. is a hegemony. And appeasing a change in government becomes the new bullet point on the voting ballot.

Transparency worked, so what's the problem?

Well, yes, I agree.....the idea of keeping you safe and free is definitely a joke, considering how much you obviously don't appreciate it,

Anyone that hasn't realized that the USA is a hegemony since at least 1989 is a complete idiot. Long may they reign, once you consider the alternatives, presently and historically. (presently China, formerly the USSR)

The only effect of the "transparency" has been the exposure of good people to retaliation from the Taliban......that includes Canadian soldiers. Otherwise, some slight destabilization of international diplomatic relationships......anyone that thinks that is a good thing is incredibly stupid.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
WikiLeaks Poised for Major Israel Document Dump

By Jason Ditz
December 24, 2010

The paucity of information on Israel in the early WikiLeaks releases led to a flurry of speculations and conspiracy theories, insisting WikiLeaks may have made a secret deal with the Netanyahu government or that the lack of data proved the organization’s insincerity as a whistleblower. After all, in a dump of 250,000+ classified documents from the US, surely Israel would figure pretty prominently.

And actually it does. Though the information has not been released there will be a considerable dump, according to reports, including some 3,700 documents detailing Israel’s assassination plot in Dubai, the 2007 air strike against Syria, and the 2006 invasion of southern Lebanon.

Truly, the Israeli government is no stranger to unseemly covert actions, and the bulk of such actions are assumed to be taken under American imprimatur. Given this, it seems that the secret data should contain more than a few juicy tidbits.

Which might lead one to wonder why we haven’t seen it before. After all, despite WikiLeaks’ extremely slow release schedule they did give the full collection to a number of Western publications. According to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, this is because the newspapers simply weren’t interested in publishing data embarrassing to Israel. Which is forcing us to wait on this topic, while the press oohs and aahs at the revelations of Anna Nicole Smith’s impact on the Bahaman government.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well, yes, I agree.....the idea of keeping you safe and free is definitely a joke, considering how much you obviously don't appreciate it,

Anyone who believes the USA has been keeping us 'safe and free' in the last 30 years is pretty blatantly misinformed. Do you honestly believe this? Iraq? Afghanistan? TSA screenings? Don't ask, don't tell? See something, say something?

None of these endeavors have any basis for a real threat, none of them have kept us any significant degree 'safer' and all of them are definitely mechanisms that have hindered freedom.

Anyone that hasn't realized that the USA is a hegemony since at least 1989 is a complete idiot. Long may they reign, once you consider the alternatives, presently and historically. (presently China, formerly the USSR)

Who said any hegemony is good, US or otherwise? Any aggressive exertion of power over others is bad. But yea, long may your preferred hegemony of choice 'reign'.

The only effect of the "transparency" has been the exposure of good people to retaliation from the Taliban......that includes Canadian soldiers. Otherwise, some slight destabilization of international diplomatic relationships......anyone that thinks that is a good thing is incredibly stupid.

Sure, it's a slap to the face to wake up the diplomatic community. It was much needed, and if you can't see beyond the short-term 'destabilization', then you're the one who is pretty off the mark.

Revealing some of the bone-headed things we're teaching the military to do - like having U.S. choppers gunning down surrendering Iraqis, innocent journalists and civilians! The high rate of civilian casualties that were leaked and previously denied by the U.S. for 'our safety'. Detailing the day-to-day operations of Gitmo which were also being hidden from us to you know - keep us safe and free, lol.

Nevermind the U.N. spying and deliberate attempts to take over the Copenhagen accord. Yea, that was all done with the best of intentions for the people of America.

Or a bit closer to home (Canada) - the unauthorized wiretaps that the government has been exercising to spy on its own people.

Or the covert internet censorship being carried out in major states - like U.S., China and Australia.

All of these releases have in effect caused a serious and thorough investigation into human rights violations. Oh, but I forgot, standing up for these causes is what the U.S. was doing before the leaks. And right now the world is much worse and the discord and frenzy between diplomats is causing us to spiral into some systematic removal of the freedoms and rights that the good old U.S. hegemony granted us before the release of these documents.

Oh, how foolish of me.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You forgot the debacle of the so called war on drugs. Tell all those thousands of people languishing in US prisons for smoking a joint are free.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This is why Wikileaks need to exist. People need to know what's going on.

I believe that we are only supposed to know what our government deems appropriate for us to know, as long as it's filtered through the main stream media.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
You forgot the debacle of the so called war on drugs. Tell all those thousands of people languishing in US prisons for smoking a joint are free.

Of course, let us not forget the War on Poverty, announced by LBJ, the author of Great Society, aka the irreversible Welfare State.

More people in poverty now, than ever before. What a success story!

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Then left perplexed when `the bad guys` come a knocking to exact revenge for you`re murderous ways.

I believe that we are only supposed to know what our government deems appropriate for us to know, as long as it's filtered through the main stream media.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Apparently people in Provincial health plans will soon leak personal medical records to a website called MediLeaks. We all have a right to know everything about you just because there is a website for it, so I can't wait.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Bradley Manning: One Soldier Who Really Did ‘Defend Our Freedom’

by Kevin Carson,
January 01, 2011

When I hear someone say that soldiers "defend our freedom," my immediate response is to gag. I think the last time American soldiers actually fought for the freedom of Americans was probably the Revolutionary War — or maybe the War of 1812, if you want to be generous. Every war since then has been for nothing but to uphold a system of power, and to make the rich folks even richer.

But I can think of one exception. If there’s a soldier anywhere in the world who’s fought and suffered for my freedom, it’s Pfc. Bradley Manning.

Manning is frequently portrayed, among the knuckle-draggers on right-wing message boards, as some sort of spoiled brat or ingrate, acting on an adolescent whim. But that’s not quite what happened, according to Johann Hari.

Manning, like many young soldiers, joined up in the naive belief that he was defending the freedom of his fellow Americans. When he got to Iraq, he found himself working under orders "to round up and hand over Iraqi civilians to America’s new Iraqi allies, who he could see were then torturing them with electrical drills and other implements." The people he arrested, and handed over for torture, were guilty of such "crimes" as writing "scholarly critiques" of the U.S. occupation forces and its puppet government. When he expressed his moral reservations to his supervisor, Manning "was told to shut up and get back to herding up Iraqis."

The people Manning saw tortured, by the way, were frequently the very same people who had been tortured by Saddam: Trade unionists, members of the Iraqi Freedom Congress, and other freedom-loving people who had no more use for Halliburton and Blackwater than they had for the Baath Party.

For exposing his government’s crimes against humanity, Manning has spent seven months in solitary confinement – a torture deliberately calculated to break the human mind.

We see a lot of "serious thinkers" on the op-ed pages and talking head shows, people like David Gergen, Chris Matthews, and Michael Kinsley, going on about all the stuff that Manning’s leaks have impaired the ability of "our government" to do.

He’s impaired the ability of the U.S. government to conduct diplomacy in pursuit of some fabled "national interest" that I supposedly have in common with Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and Disney. He’s risked untold numbers of innocent lives, according to the very same people who have ordered the deaths of untold thousands of innocent people. According to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, Manning’s exposure of secret U.S. collusion with authoritarian governments in the Middle East, to promote policies that their peoples would find abhorrent, undermines America’s ability to promote "democracy, open government, and free and open societies."

But I’ll tell you what Manning’s really impaired government’s ability to do.

He’s impaired the U.S. government’s ability to lie us into wars where thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of foreigners are murdered.

He’s impaired its ability to use such wars – under the guise of promoting "democracy" — to install puppet governments like the Coalition Provisional Authority, that will rubber stamp neoliberal "free trade" agreements (including harsh "intellectual property" provisions written by the proprietary content industries) and cut special deals with American crony capitalists.

He’s impaired its ability to seize good, decent people who — unlike most soldiers — really are fighting for freedom, and hand them over to thuggish governments for torture with power tools.

Let’s get something straight. Bradley Manning may be a criminal by the standards of the American state. But by all human standards of morality, the government and its functionaries that Manning exposed to the light of day are criminals. And Manning is a hero of freedom for doing it.

So if you’re one of the authoritarian state-worshipers, one of the groveling sycophants of power, who are cheering on Manning’s punishment and calling for even harsher treatment, all I can say is that you’d probably have been there at the crucifixion urging Pontius Pilate to lay the lashes on a little harder. You’d have told the Nazis where Anne Frank was hiding. You’re unworthy of the freedoms which so many heroes and martyrs throughout history — heroes like Bradley Manning — have fought to give you.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Bradley Manning: One Soldier Who Really Did ‘Defend Our Freedom’

by Kevin Carson,
January 01, 2011

When I hear someone say that soldiers "defend our freedom," my immediate response is to gag. I think the last time American soldiers actually fought for the freedom of Americans was probably the Revolutionary War — or maybe the War of 1812, if you want to be generous. Every war since then has been for nothing but to uphold a system of power, and to make the rich folks even richer.

But I can think of one exception. If there’s a soldier anywhere in the world who’s fought and suffered for my freedom, it’s Pfc. Bradley Manning.

Manning is frequently portrayed, among the knuckle-draggers on right-wing message boards, as some sort of spoiled brat or ingrate, acting on an adolescent whim. But that’s not quite what happened, according to Johann Hari.

Manning, like many young soldiers, joined up in the naive belief that he was defending the freedom of his fellow Americans. When he got to Iraq, he found himself working under orders "to round up and hand over Iraqi civilians to America’s new Iraqi allies, who he could see were then torturing them with electrical drills and other implements." The people he arrested, and handed over for torture, were guilty of such "crimes" as writing "scholarly critiques" of the U.S. occupation forces and its puppet government. When he expressed his moral reservations to his supervisor, Manning "was told to shut up and get back to herding up Iraqis."

The people Manning saw tortured, by the way, were frequently the very same people who had been tortured by Saddam: Trade unionists, members of the Iraqi Freedom Congress, and other freedom-loving people who had no more use for Halliburton and Blackwater than they had for the Baath Party.

For exposing his government’s crimes against humanity, Manning has spent seven months in solitary confinement – a torture deliberately calculated to break the human mind.

We see a lot of "serious thinkers" on the op-ed pages and talking head shows, people like David Gergen, Chris Matthews, and Michael Kinsley, going on about all the stuff that Manning’s leaks have impaired the ability of "our government" to do.

He’s impaired the ability of the U.S. government to conduct diplomacy in pursuit of some fabled "national interest" that I supposedly have in common with Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and Disney. He’s risked untold numbers of innocent lives, according to the very same people who have ordered the deaths of untold thousands of innocent people. According to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, Manning’s exposure of secret U.S. collusion with authoritarian governments in the Middle East, to promote policies that their peoples would find abhorrent, undermines America’s ability to promote "democracy, open government, and free and open societies."

But I’ll tell you what Manning’s really impaired government’s ability to do.

He’s impaired the U.S. government’s ability to lie us into wars where thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of foreigners are murdered.

He’s impaired its ability to use such wars – under the guise of promoting "democracy" — to install puppet governments like the Coalition Provisional Authority, that will rubber stamp neoliberal "free trade" agreements (including harsh "intellectual property" provisions written by the proprietary content industries) and cut special deals with American crony capitalists.

He’s impaired its ability to seize good, decent people who — unlike most soldiers — really are fighting for freedom, and hand them over to thuggish governments for torture with power tools.

Let’s get something straight. Bradley Manning may be a criminal by the standards of the American state. But by all human standards of morality, the government and its functionaries that Manning exposed to the light of day are criminals. And Manning is a hero of freedom for doing it.

So if you’re one of the authoritarian state-worshipers, one of the groveling sycophants of power, who are cheering on Manning’s punishment and calling for even harsher treatment, all I can say is that you’d probably have been there at the crucifixion urging Pontius Pilate to lay the lashes on a little harder. You’d have told the Nazis where Anne Frank was hiding. You’re unworthy of the freedoms which so many heroes and martyrs throughout history — heroes like Bradley Manning — have fought to give you.

What a crock!!!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Even Ron Paul says those screaming for Assange's capture, trial and execution or assassination are lunatic fringe right wingers. He says Assange has not committed any crime and that Americans should know about the BS behind wars that serve no purpose but to satisfy the power hungry.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
What dangerous or critically important information about any country did Assange actually divulge? I don't like whistle blowers either, but if it was something serious he would have fallen deathly ill by now.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What dangerous or critically important information about any country did Assange actually divulge? I don't like whistle blowers either, but if it was something serious he would have fallen deathly ill by now.
Yup, from a lead enema or frontal lobotomy. Some people take phuking over other countries way too seriously, eh?

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Assnage's extradition hearing starts today. I found this article amusing;

Julian Assange faces 'man-hater prosecutor and media trial' in Sweden

WikiLeaks founder's extradition hearing told Swedish trial would be 'flagrant denial of justice' by defence lawyers

The prosecutor leading the rape and sexual assault case against Julian Assange is a "malicious" radical feminist who is "biased against men", a retired senior Swedish judge has told the hearing into Assange's extradition to Sweden.
In caustic evidence on the first day of the two-day hearing, Brita Sundberg-Weitman, a former appeal court judge, told Belmarsh magistrates court that Sweden's chief prosector, Marianne Ny, who is seeking the Wikileaks founder's extradition, "has a rather biased view against men. I honestly can't understand her attitude here. It looks malicious."

Julian Assange faces 'man-hater prosecutor and media trial' in Sweden | Media | The Guardian