The Beer Thread

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
best beers in canada and the world as far as i am concerned are those brewed in the small brew pubs ....the first one in canada was opened here in victoria. if you want a half decent beer that is properly aged and chilled to perfection, or served warm, then go to spinnakers. we also have swans brewery which is ideal, plus hugos, and the canoe club which has an incredible pale ale.....i wouldn't touch any large corporation beer for nada.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I'm not a beer drinker ITN I'm a beer lush :p Whisky too break out the crown royal and watch mom go over the edge :lol: These days though I only like to drink like that whem my kids are out for the night :wink: About the only beer I don't like is that dark stuff YUCK other than that I drink it all.Oh yea lets not forget Cuervo gold my fave with beer no lemon involed 8)

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Toro said:
There have been a few threads where we were talking about one subject and wound up talking about beer - which is actually a good thing if you think about it - so we might as well have a beer discussion thread. I take up the converstation left off here

http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86228#86228

Part of the reason why American mass-produced beer isn't as good as Canadian mass-produced beer is because some of the big American brewers substitute rice instead of barley for part of their recipes, which of course is blasphemy. I don't believe any of the Canadians do that.

The big brewers have developed processes to speed the aging of beer. Properly, it takes several months for beer to age but the mass-producing brewers do it quicker. Also, I was once told that the mass-produced brewers inject carbination into the beer during this process, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Because of all this, I don't put much stock in the whole national beer thing. I like Blue better than a Bud, but I also like a Teen burger better than a Big Mac. However, I'd rather eat a Filet Mignon than either hamburger. Of course, one's preference for a Blue over a Shaftsbury Cream Ale is always a personal one and completely subjective.

I like Sleeman's Said1, but I'm always a little leery about beer in a clear bottle, even if its a super cool bottle like Sleeman's. There's a brewery south of Toronto called Creemore Springs which I think makes a fantastic product if you haven't tried it yet. When they first opened over a decade ago, I went out to the brewery in Creemore. It was on a street corner in either a big old house or small store property. Cool.

BTW the beer here sucks in Florida. I once called the Big Rock brewery to see if I could get it shipped down here, but it would have cost me something like $60 for a case.

HAHAHAHAHA my last trip to Vancouver Island I brough home with me.... hemp beer .... true story. ya gotta love the independant brewing companies. Just south of the border here they make a mean huckleberry beer. I am a huge fan of unique and locally brewed beers.

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Re: RE: The Beer Thread

gopher said:
Is that an endorsement (sorry, I don't watch that show)?

Ah no never endorse that show ahahaha just seems appropriate for the topic. He gives a big sigh when saying it. Kind of sums up how some of us feel about beer.

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
Toro, I have bad news. Rice is commonly used in making beer in Canada including Labatts Blue. It shouldn't make much difference and having participated in 'taste tests', I can tell you that even the experts in the business have trouble telling one lager from another.
Now, Micro Brews; well that's a different story. We have dozens here on the West Coast, but for you blokes in Ontario, I enjoy Waterloo Dark, Sleeman's Honey Brown and Formosa. In Winnipeg, Two Rivers and Fort Garry Ale are great. I could go on! Enough to say we are blessed in this country; just as they are in Europe and G.B.

Toro

Senate Member
Well, its not surprising. I used to sell beer and we used to taste test beers and no one could tell the difference between one or the other, at least with the large commercial products.

Stick with the micro brews. To me its night and day. I love the Shaftsbury products out there.

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
Re: RE: The Beer Thread

Toro said:
Well, its not surprising. I used to sell beer and we used to taste test beers and no one could tell the difference between one or the other, at least with the large commercial products.

Stick with the micro brews. To me its night and day. I love the Shaftsbury products out there.

I can recall staying in a motel near Charlotte, N.C. and finding Harp on tap. It was imported and not a license-brewed substitute. A truly happy day!

Wetcoast40

Electoral Member
Feb 21, 2005
Lesser Vancouver
In the hot summer weather, I prefer a dry "hoppy" beer to quench my thirst. It causes you to drink it more slowly and enjoy it more. I'm no fan of 'light beers'. I consider Coors Light the beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. At least, that the Coors Light made in Canada.

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
There is a small brewery here in Quebec called Unibroue.

They have different types of beer:

http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm