Tesla to cut thousands of jobs as Elon Musk warns the ‘road ahead is very difficult’

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
you don't seem to understand what we're talking about
as usual
Oh yes I do. And your picture clearly indicates it is not realistic. How are you going to take all that junk to a construction site?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
wtf are you talking about?
Reality. I know that is over your head. You stated that a battery pack would takeover from ICE generators and I asked if you could supply one that could sustain 150 KW and you reply with a picture of a a bunch of battery packs that take up several football fields. So obviously the correct answer, as usual is that you cannot back up your false claim.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Here is what I said:

The Aussies have married their battery storage to a wind farm and proven that it works perfectly.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
1 Kw per square meter.... Over what period of time

Fact is, wind and solar (solar in particular) is such a heavily diluted energy source, it has far less value compared to the on demand sources out there.

... There is a reason why only a select few gravitate to solar or wind

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
1 Kw per square meter.... Over what period of time
Oh dear. You really don't know how this works at all, do you?

A kilowatt (or a watt, or a megawatt) is a measure of energy.

If, for example, you wanted a measure of the energy over time, the answer would be in watt-seconds, or as is typically done because it's a convenient-size measure, in kilowatt-hours. That's how domestic electrical consumption is measured.

It's a hearing "this section of the pipeline holds 10,000 litres" and asking "How long does it take for it to hold 10,000 litres?"

Or perhaps hearing "this object is at 70 degrees C" and asking "Over what period of time?"

In science, this is called a "stupid question."

So, the short answer to your question is "over any period of time. Over a second, it is a kilowatt-second. Over a minute, it is a kilowatt-minute. Over an hour, it is a kilowatt-hour."

Beginning to catch on?

Maybe hating Elon Musk is more your speed.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In Saskatchewan? Check the stats Oklahomo. Which season? 50% will go to heating the batteries in the sunny, dry Canadian Prairie.
Oh dear. You think Australia is in Saskatchewan.

Right. Carry on!

I've already wised up captain morgan to the fact that he doesn't understand energy measures. We'll have to save your geography lesson for another day.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh dear. You think Australia is in Saskatchewan.
Right. Carry on!
I've already wised up captain morgan to the fact that he doesn't understand energy measures. We'll have to save your geography lesson for another day.
Oh my, I'm not lucky enough to have 330+ days of sunshine a year?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Oh dear. You really don't know how this works at all, do you?

A kilowatt (or a watt, or a megawatt) is a measure of energy.

If, for example, you wanted a measure of the energy over time, the answer would be in watt-seconds, or as is typically done because it's a convenient-size measure, in kilowatt-hours. That's how domestic electrical consumption is measured.

It's a hearing "this section of the pipeline holds 10,000 litres" and asking "How long does it take for it to hold 10,000 litres?"

Or perhaps hearing "this object is at 70 degrees C" and asking "Over what period of time?"

In science, this is called a "stupid question."

So, the short answer to your question is "over any period of time. Over a second, it is a kilowatt-second. Over a minute, it is a kilowatt-minute. Over an hour, it is a kilowatt-hour."

Beginning to catch on?

Maybe hating Elon Musk is more your speed.

Oh dear indeed.

Perhaps you might approach the brain-trust of Solyndra and get them to mansplain this to you, they would be a far better resource than Mr. Musk who is more expert at running a failing EV business

In the meantime, as we are speaking specifically about the production of electricity (via solar panels), it is kinda important to have a unit measure relative to a period of time... I highlighted the important word above, but ultimately, is it 1 KW per year, per month, week, etc?... You see, it is this distinction - the ability to produce the energy in question over a fixed period of time - that has a very significant impact on the economic feasibility of any proposed project

Now, seeing how you base your logic on the pipeline example, allow me to offer a pro-tip: Pipelines don't produce oil, they transport oil.... Much in the same way that a solar panel produces energy, the wiring from the panel will transport the electricity to a battery for storage or directly into the grid for immediate consumption.

Now that you have a base understanding how the system works, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions despite that question being, what science would generally call, a stupid question.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Oh dear indeed.

Perhaps you might approach the brain-trust of Solyndra and get them to mansplain this to you, they would be a far better resource than Mr. Musk who is more expert at running a failing EV business

In the meantime, as we are speaking specifically about the production of electricity (via solar panels), it is kinda important to have a unit measure relative to a period of time... I highlighted the important word above, but ultimately, is it 1 KW per year, per month, week, etc?... You see, it is this distinction - the ability to produce the energy in question over a fixed period of time - that has a very significant impact on the economic feasibility of any proposed project

Now, seeing how you base your logic on the pipeline example, allow me to offer a pro-tip: Pipelines don't produce oil, they transport oil.... Much in the same way that a solar panel produces energy, the wiring from the panel will transport the electricity to a battery for storage or directly into the grid for immediate consumption.

Now that you have a base understanding how the system works, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions despite that question being, what science would generally call, a stupid question.
No such thing as a stupid question if you don’t know the answer .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
BILL GATES, not afraid to break ranks with the cult of climate groupthink, calling out the ruinous obsession with fashionable UNreliables – wind and solar ‘power’.

“Do you guys on Wall Street have something in your desks that makes steel? Where is fertilizer, cement, plastic going to come from? Do planes fly through the sky because of some number you put in a spreadsheet?”

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just one. How many minutes in a kilowatt-hour? And is a minute different in Saskatechewan and Australia.

I'm sure the crack science team of Tweedledumb and Tweedledrunk can provide the answer.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You're all caught up in your own web of misunderstanding.
You stated that 1 sq meter produces in KW.
No I didn't. Lying won't help you here. You think of energy in terms of fluids. It's not a fluid.

The functional Q is, How long does it take to generate in KW over that sq meter
"How long does it take to generate sunlight?" is your question.

In science, that's what we call a "stupid question."

You and Tweedledumb have a real nice evening out there is Saskalia now, hear?