SWINE FLU vs. OTHER STRAINS

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I plan on getting an H1N1 vaccination....when I know those that have compromised
immune systems & underlying health problems & the elderly & all children have
been taken care of first.....and I know that my shot will not mean someone
listed above will be deprived of their shot by me. It may be a while.

How many weeks away will it be for the general population to start getting
into line in Ontario?

My sentiments exactly Ron, having been born prior to 1957 (although you'd never guess it by looking at me) I'm pretty low risk anyway and I take a lot of killing anyway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What high-risk group do you fit into, that you got the vaccine already?

Never mind, I see that you've answered it already.

I have even less respect for you now; you know that you are not a front-line health care worker. You should be ashamed of yourself.

He's married to a doctor and there's no telling what "critters" a doctor brings home from the job.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
They have not started giving the vaccine to general population here in Ontario, but my wife was able to slip me in. Technically I am a health care worker, since I am on my wife’s payroll.
Technically, you did not qualify and should not have been allowed to have the shot. A person only qualifies as a health care worker if they are in direct contact with the patients. You are not. While it's lucky for you that you have that kind of access, you have taken a shot away from some person who may really really need it. Like Ron, I will wait my turn. Like Sask., BC was also set up with much the same schedule. People are afraid. They did not listen to the rules saying that certain people qualified first! They got into the line-ups and insisted on being given the shot. Some were sent away only to show up the next day loudly insisting that they selfishly be given a shot that should have gone to someone who probably needed it more. Shots all across Canada are running low as far as I know. I have a problem taking a shot from someone else just so that I could ensure I don't get the flu myself. I don't want the flu and I sure hope I don't get it but sometimes it's a chance we have to take. This week coming up is when the rest of us can start looking to get the shot. I work all week and the places I have to go to are far enough away that going there and standing in a line may not allow enough time for both work and a shot in one day.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
He's married to a doctor and there's no telling what "critters" a doctor brings home from the job.
Nope. He doesn't get off that easy. We are all getting all kinds of critters being brought to us. His wife should be washing her hands in between each patient and I'm sure she does but that doesn't change anything regarding when he received the shot. He did not qualify.
Sorry SJP. I know we are friends but right is right and wrong is wrong.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Gee, you people almost bit my head off. TenPenny, you have even less respect for me now? Is such a thing possible? I thought you already had no respect for me, how can you have less respect than nothing?

Anyway, I did not go to an open clinic and get my shot at the expense of somebody else, rest easy. It does not work that way. Sure there are open clinics, but I got an appointment with a nurse. She gives H1N1 only to health care workers, she does not run an open clinic. I don’t know how many vaccination she gives, may be 10 or 20 a day. That is where my wife and her secretary also got theirs.

I had to make an appointment (no long lines) and get the vaccination. If somebody calls for an appointment (a health care worker), she gives the vaccination, otherwise she hangs onto the doses she has. So I did not take vaccine away from anybody, you all may rest assured.

She has got a few doses and she gives them to health care workers only. And technically I am one, I get part of my income from OHIP (indirectly through my wife, of course).

But this is one of the advantages of being on the inside of medical community. My wife knew who to call, she set up an appointment for me, and I got the vaccination, no long lines.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's spilt milk. Don't worry about it. It's not like SJP could give it back, right?
Worry about the things you can control, & let the rest go. The rest of the folks
here that're waiting can Govern their own actions based on their own reactions
to the last dozen postings or so. It's a life lesson. a done deal. Going forward...

lindyloo646

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ok, as a health care professional...I must call B.S. SirJo. Now I am just upset. The reason that health care professionals are to get the vaccine first is because they are in direct contact with the ill, and will be front-line to look after everyone. I am quite happy for you, as now you are well protected and can continue on ... looking after the sick masses.
Are you not an accountant or something like that? I would be ashamed if I were you, and as such your wife should be ashamed of herself for "slipping" you in.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm not sure either way, are you?

Yes, yes I am sure.

Spouses of physicians are explicity NOT high risk, at least according to the provincial guidelines here in NB. They do not qualify as health care workers, no matter how much their inflated heads make them think they're important. They do not take precedent over front-line health care workers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nope. He doesn't get off that easy. We are all getting all kinds of critters being brought to us. His wife should be washing her hands in between each patient and I'm sure she does but that doesn't change anything regarding when he received the shot. He did not qualify.
Sorry SJP. I know we are friends but right is right and wrong is wrong.

You're probably right but is it REALLY worth making an issue of? I bet there are hundreds of adults bring in small children for the shot and getting one themselves at the same time, especially if they happen to be friends of the people giving the shots. I know it's not right but unless you can stop ALL the queue jumpers, why single out one or two. Personally I think anyone getting it should have to show the documents be they birth certificates or something like a prescription bottle showing they have the condition that puts them at risk.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think if I was in S.J.'s precarious position and got the shot I wouldn't be telling the whole wide world about it.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
yikes, well now I feel a bit like I need to justify the shot I got. I went on Thursday - at that time in Alberta, no one was being asked to stay away, but I went because I have a daughter in the high risk group. Actually until that young boy died I was very on the fence about even getting the shot, but that incident clinched it for me. I suddenly became very afraid for my daughter.

I did feel bad when they announced later that evening that they were running low, but I have to be honest and say that if I was advised to get it to help keep my daughter safe, I would not have turned it down.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think if I was in S.J.'s precarious position and got the shot I wouldn't be telling the whole wide world about it.

Oh, I don't mind telling the world about it, JLM. I like to stir things up. Didn't the thread suddenly become interesting?

For all anybody knows, I could be lying about it (I am not, but I could be). Is there really any reason to get that worked up about it? But people do.

lindyloo646

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2008
Saskatchewan
You are correct folks...SJP cannot give the shot back. I can tell you though, if he did not take the vaccine (which was not actually his to take) then it would have gone back into the pool and then given to someone who was actually in line to get it.

Whatever will be will be, I can rest easy knowing that those I love have honor and will wait until it is their time to get what is rightfully theirs.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
yikes, well now I feel a bit like I need to justify the shot I got. I went on Thursday - at that time in Alberta, no one was being asked to stay away, but I went because I have a daughter in the high risk group. Actually until that young boy died I was very on the fence about even getting the shot, but that incident clinched it for me. I suddenly became very afraid for my daughter.

I did feel bad when they announced later that evening that they were running low, but I have to be honest and say that if I was advised to get it to help keep my daughter safe, I would not have turned it down.

Oh, I don't think you have to explain anything, Zan. You got the shot and that is all there is to it.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's spilt milk. Don't worry about it. It's not like SJP could give it back, right?
Worry about the things you can control, & let the rest go. The rest of the folks
here that're waiting can Govern their own actions based on their own reactions
to the last dozen postings or so. It's a life lesson. a done deal. Going forward...

Yep....spilt milk....He's not the only one. At least he admitted to it. Thousands
wouldn't. It's out. It's done.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ok, as a health care professional...I must call B.S. SirJo. Now I am just upset. The reason that health care professionals are to get the vaccine first is because they are in direct contact with the ill, and will be front-line to look after everyone. I am quite happy for you, as now you are well protected and can continue on ... looking after the sick masses.
Are you not an accountant or something like that? I would be ashamed if I were you, and as such your wife should be ashamed of herself for "slipping" you in.

I think you should give the guy a break. Nobody can say whether his wife is a high-risk health-care worker in the ER? He goes to bed every night with her so I think we can safely assume that he qualifies.

Either way, you should blame the doctor who most likely recommended it. I would feel a lot safer if I was immunised if the person I slept with every night was a doctor or a nurse in a high risk zone.

Don't forget the SARS craze in the GTA several years ago. Doctors and Nurses were in a horrible position.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
H1N1 priority groups changed (09/10/31)
NB 1715
Oct. 31, 2009
FREDERICTON (CNB) - The chief medical officer of health for New Brunswick advised on Friday afternoon, Oct. 30, that the priority groups for H1N1 vaccination clinics are now restricted to the following:
  • front-line health-care workers;
  • children aged six months to18 years;
  • parents of children under six months old;
  • pregnant women - 20 weeks or more;
  • pregnant women - fewer than 20 weeks, and with underlying medical conditions; and
  • First Nations individuals (on reserve, only).
This restriction is in place to ensure that the highest priority groups are vaccinated soonest.