SWINE FLU vs. OTHER STRAINS

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No. I lined up for the H1N1 shot but they had changed their minds and I was turned away. I haven't yet had my seasonal shot. I will get that early next week, with any luck...;-)

It's just mind boggling, isn't it? Not only has the Swine got all the media in a frenzy, but it seems the whole medical profession is in a tailspin and not paying attention to the important tasks at hand. I've been getting seasonal flu shots for 20 years with never a problem. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the conventional flu is going to end up causing more havoc than the Swine this year.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No. I lined up for the H1N1 shot but they had changed their minds and I was turned away. I haven't yet had my seasonal shot. I will get that early next week, with any luck...;-)
Did you meet up with Nurse Ratchett too? I guess I'll call our clinic and see if they are being allowed to give the seasonal shot. I have not heard that there is no vaccine available. There was a news article today out of Toronto that stated that children who had had half their shot probably did not need to be concerned if they did not end up getting the full shot. It appears they are going to go ahead with giving the rest of the population (for those who show up)a chance. I guess I'll have to check the VIHA site and see if there is any new information.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Notwithstanding of course the handful of deaths (mainly by people who were at death's door step already), according to CBC this whole "pandemic" is nothing more than a bunch of media hype anyway and I'm inclined to believe it. During my life time I've been deathly sick with the flu 3 or 4 times, but never did it make national (or even local) news nor would I expect or want it to. NOw maybe people can start getting on with their lives. See CBC News - Health - H1N1 a 'dud' pandemic, Ont. health official says

The University closest to mine, is at 18% infected right now with swine flu. That's just on the borderline for being closed down. As far as I, and many other students are concerned, death is not the only thing one has to worry about. Getting this flu can mean hospitalization, and we're less than one month away from exams. Not to mention other assignments and term papers. Getting a vaccine means that when your body comes in contact with the virus, your bodies machinery is already primed to fight the infection. That's a big deal to me. I'm in my final semester, and would like to finish strong.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The University closest to mine, is at 18% infected right now with swine flu. That's just on the borderline for being closed down. As far as I, and many other students are concerned, death is not the only thing one has to worry about. Getting this flu can mean hospitalization, and we're less than one month away from exams. Not to mention other assignments and term papers. Getting a vaccine means that when your body comes in contact with the virus, your bodies machinery is already primed to fight the infection. That's a big deal to me. I'm in my final semester, and would like to finish strong.

Absolutely Tonington- No one wants to have their plans put askew by illness or the inability to deal with it- I'm sure there's a lot of people in your boat and I wish that things go smoothly for you. I was just drawing a comparison, when I went to school we had occasions where 20-30% of the school was home sick with the flu, nothing much has changed in that regard and the Swine flu (so far) is proving to be less of a killer than the conventional brands. Where my frustration lies is that the media are making hay at others expense and hysteria. Any individual who gets the flu has my condolences, I never had a dose yet that I enjoyed.