SWINE FLU vs. OTHER STRAINS

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Today, our son who is type 2 diabetes, went to a clinic to see if he could get his shot. Nurse Rachett quizzed him on this wanting to know what his blood sugar reading was this morning. He simply told her truthfully, that he did not take a reading every morning as he is type 2. He got the shot. He asked about his son with CP receiving the shot and could he have it now. They said he could. Then he asked if my husband and I as major care givers could have the shot. They said yes. He called us and we whipped down to the clinic. No line-ups. No big push on for shots. Really rather quiet. We went in and the assumption was immediate that we were there because my husband is over 65. We explained but Nurse Rachett wasn't having any of it. She loudly (once again as she was the same person who stopped us at the first clinic we went to that we thought was for caregivers and it turned out it was for children under 60 months) announced that since we did not live in the same household as our grandson, we didn't qualify. I said "not even if he lives at our house 2 days or more per week?) and she loudly stated that it didn't count. She rudely handed us a schedule for next week telling us "good luck" at getting into that clinic. Our son called as he had seen us driving to the clinic, as he was going to the school to get his son. We told him that we were turned away. He was shocked because he had been told by several people inside the clinic that both his Dad and I qualified. I think she thought we were using him as an excuse and that is what her demeanor showed. It's not like our son could say "well you treated my parents poorly so I'm not bringing my business here". Our grandson got his shot within about a half hour of us being turned away. Maybe it would have made a difference if we had gone in with him and Nurse Rachett (and I don't care if I'm spelling it right) could have seen we were telling the truth. Our son said that there was a woman there when he took he son in, that sat down and refused to leave until they gave her the shot. Don't know what happened as he finished up and brought our grandson here. I'm glad that both my son and his son got their shots. Our other 4 grandkids have to wait until next week and 3 of them will have to go for the "2 shot" thing. My work schedule does not work with the clinic schedules so I don't know if I'll get a shot or not. I did hear on the news about an hour ago that there is enough vaccine for everyone and since the clinic was so slow today, I don't know why we couldn't have been given the shot but - put someone like Nurse Rachett in a position of power and she fit right into the role. Had there been a long lineup and a shortage of vaccine, I would have agreed with her assessment. For what happened today, my assessment of her is that she is on a power trip. I guess it's easy once you've had your own shot.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Today, our son who is type 2 diabetes, went to a clinic to see if he could get his shot. Nurse Rachett quizzed him on this wanting to know what his blood sugar reading was this morning. He simply told her truthfully, that he did not take a reading every morning as he is type 2. He got the shot.

Sorry to hear you did not get your shots VI but glad to hear your son and grandson got theirs. Not sure what the proper procedure is but I know my ex wife is not getting hers sooner altough she is with my son and his condition of asthma makes him vulnerable.

In that we are not even sure if the follow up shots for him will be available.. Our daughter, who also has asthma, has not had her shot yet and is still waiting for the doctors office to call. This is the same office we got our shots from. Amazing what one day can do for you and what you can miss out on..

I did read on a news web site that they now expect this flu to linger on a lot longer then usual.. How amazing.. :roll::roll:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I just heard that during a year a regular flu kills about 36,000 people in the U.S., while the H1N1 (Swine) flu kills about 1,200 per year. If given a choice, which one would you an adult prefer? Some adults are rushing to get their flu shots, stop and think for a moment, let the kids who need it have theirs first.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just heard that during a year a regular flu kills about 36,000 people in the U.S., while the H1N1 (Swine) flu kills about 1,200 per year. If given a choice, which one would you an adult prefer? Some adults are rushing to get their flu shots, stop and think for a moment, let the kids who need it have theirs first.

Absolutely correct, there is altogether too much hysteria over this Swine Flu, actually it's causing much more mental illness than physical illness.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I thought H1N1 was a strain that had not been found in humans before.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It is prudent to be cautious with a new virus. It's really quite difficult to get a virus under control if it goes out of control. Risk management. It's easy to say the danger was overhyped when it is not your job on the line.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I just heard that during a year a regular flu kills about 36,000 people in the U.S., while the H1N1 (Swine) flu kills about 1,200 per year. If given a choice, which one would you an adult prefer?
If H1N1 has a better chance of killing, I'd take regular flu (it hasn't killed me yet and I get it about every 4th year. I'm not so sure about H1N1 so I got the shot when it was my turn). 1200 as opposed to 36,000 doesn't mean much. If there were 320 million people that got the flu, 36,000 isn't much. If there were 2000 people that caught H1N1 and 1200 died, that's a big deal..
Some adults are rushing to get their flu shots, stop and think for a moment, let the kids who need it have theirs first.
I agree.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I agree that the most vulnerable should have their shots first. I think what my son said made good sense. Instead of setting up clinics all over cities and having people go to them, it would have made a lot more sense to have a crew (several) go to each school and give the vaccine to the students first. They could have had permission slips just like we had when we were kids and like I know I had to sign for my kids. That would have helped stop the spread of this flu right then and there. One of the most difficult things is having to wait to get off work, gather up your kids, go to a clinic for them, go to a different time and place for yourself or a high risk person. The lack of thought and organization that has gone in to this is so weak. Whoever organized it was either stupid or panicked. This could have all been taken care of by now done properly.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I agree that the most vulnerable should have their shots first. I think what my son said made good sense. Instead of setting up clinics all over cities and having people go to them, it would have made a lot more sense to have a crew (several) go to each school and give the vaccine to the students first. They could have had permission slips just like we had when we were kids and like I know I had to sign for my kids. That would have helped stop the spread of this flu right then and there. One of the most difficult things is having to wait to get off work, gather up your kids, go to a clinic for them, go to a different time and place for yourself or a high risk person. The lack of thought and organization that has gone in to this is so weak. Whoever organized it was either stupid or panicked. This could have all been taken care of by now done properly.

We just found out the booster shots for my son will probably NOT be in.. Whether or not he will require it has not yet been decided and I am still leery of him getting the boost after the initial shot did not go well for both of us.. You can well understand my concerns at this point..

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Supposedly a form of H1N1 spread throughout the world from 1949 thru 1952 or so. Those alive then have built up some sort of immunity because that flu and swine flu are related.
I have been having bad headaches everyday now for about a week. Both my husband and myself are tired beyond tired and wake up feeling like we've never been to bed. I'm so tired at work my eyes feel like embers. We've both had the "big D" and nausea. Makes us wonder if we do have some sort of immunity and if what we are feeling is a part of the current strain.
Has anyone heard from DamnGrumpy regarding his wife's case of H1N1?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We just found out the booster shots for my son will probably NOT be in.. Whether or not he will require it has not yet been decided and I am still leery of him getting the boost after the initial shot did not go well for both of us.. You can well understand my concerns at this point..
I think you should be asking your doctor if he should have the second half before he gets it. Most people seem to get a little something. By after supper last night my son said both him and his son felt very well. By this morning they felt like they had been run over by a truck. When I talked to him about 3 hours ago it sounded like they were on the mend so it didn't seem to last long. Grandson got the whole shot but it wasn't just because he was old enough. He almost didn't get the whole thing because even though he is old enough, his weight just about held him back as he is thin.
I wonder why they said on the canadian news there was enough vaccine for everyone if there is a chance your son won't get the rest of his? The organizing is such a mess. The schedule we printed off from the VIHA site on the net was supposed to be changed. We threw it away and printed off a new one. Then at the clinic when Nurse Rachett gave us a schedule, it was a copy of the old one. We have no idea which one is in effect except that the new one did not include the clinic she was running that day so the new one is probably wrong. I see in today's news that they feel people who are HIV positive should have a weaker dose. They are confused.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, this sucks. My school can't offer it's vaccine clinic now. Shortages at the Department of Health prompted a closure of the planned clinic which was to start November 19th at my school. Now I'm going to have to go into those monstrous lines in the mall if I really want to get it. I probably won't, I can't give up that much time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My son, his wife, and their two small children had H1N1 over the past 3hree weeks or so. He went back to work a couple days ago and things seem to be getting back to normal again. So far my wife and I have stayed healthy...knock wood. My sister and her husband have just gotten over a three week bout with a flu of some kind in Vernon B.C. Does this mean we can stop worrying for a while? ;-):roll:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My son, his wife, and their two small children had H1N1 over the past 3hree weeks or so. He went back to work a couple days ago and things seem to be getting back to normal again. So far my wife and I have stayed healthy...knock wood. My sister and her husband have just gotten over a three week bout with a flu of some kind in Vernon B.C. Does this mean we can stop worrying for a while? ;-):roll:

I'm glad they are feeling better, with no complications.
Have you had your seasonal shot yet?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, this sucks. My school can't offer it's vaccine clinic now. Shortages at the Department of Health prompted a closure of the planned clinic which was to start November 19th at my school. Now I'm going to have to go into those monstrous lines in the mall if I really want to get it. I probably won't, I can't give up that much time.

Notwithstanding of course the handful of deaths (mainly by people who were at death's door step already), according to CBC this whole "pandemic" is nothing more than a bunch of media hype anyway and I'm inclined to believe it. During my life time I've been deathly sick with the flu 3 or 4 times, but never did it make national (or even local) news nor would I expect or want it to. NOw maybe people can start getting on with their lives. See CBC News - Health - H1N1 a 'dud' pandemic, Ont. health official says

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hi Talloola, I got my seasonal shot the other day, apparently THAT is the important one (especially for old codgers like myself) so they tell me. Has there been any sign of the Swine around Courtenay yet?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hi Talloola, I got my seasonal shot the other day, apparently THAT is the important one (especially for old codgers like myself) so they tell me. Has there been any sign of the Swine around Courtenay yet?

Nothing major in the papers, swine flu shots have been cancelled at the moment, not enough vaccine right now.
We can't get our seasonal shot yet, they seem so wrapped up with swine flu
business, the seasonal one is on the back burner, at least the free one, maybe
one can pay for it somewhere, not sure, I will have to find out, as I would like
to get my seasonal shot now.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

No. I lined up for the H1N1 shot but they had changed their minds and I was turned away. I haven't yet had my seasonal shot. I will get that early next week, with any luck...;-)