SWINE FLU vs. OTHER STRAINS

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Damn. Sorry to hear that, Juan.
Gerry, I hope you all recover soon.
It sounds like the Health Authorities in BC haven't done a very good job of organizing things. Big surprise there. Sounds like Calgary was not very organized either. It's like they never had any warning or something.
I sure hope they do something about pregnant girls. Our #1 daughter is due in Feb.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Because this vaccine had to be prepared very quickly, but not so quick that it is
not effective, has put the medical community in a tough spot. They have done
as well as can be expected under the circumstances, and I don't believe there has
been any hanky panky at all, just an effort to get it out there, to those who need
it first, as best they can.
There are vaccines especially made up for pregnant women ,with the ingredient
removed which could prove dangerous to an expectant mother, or her unborn baby.

so hopefully those women receive their shots quickly, to remove any danger to
either them or their unborn.

It's time to stop all of this silliness about conspiracys from governments or other
culprits, this is a serious business, and we don't want to see any more deaths.

The pain and grieving on the face of the 'dad', of the young lad who died last
week after contracting HlNl, will stay in my memory forever, he was a very
healthy young man, and the last thing anyone around him expected, was to see
him die at such a young age, so now that there is a method of protecting those
most vulnerable to this flu, every effort should be made to do it.

Of course most people who get that flu will go thru it like most flus, and some
will suffer more than others, but still recover, BUT SOME WILL DIE, and how would
you like to be a parent who refused to allow your family to get vaccinated, then
stand by 'helpless' and watch one of them die.

The vaccine will not harm anyone, it is safe, but the HlNl flu can.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Because this vaccine had to be prepared very quickly, but not so quick that it is
not effective, has put the medical community in a tough spot. They have done
as well as can be expected under the circumstances, and I don't believe there has
been any hanky panky at all, just an effort to get it out there, to those who need
it first, as best they can.
There are vaccines especially made up for pregnant women ,with the ingredient
removed which could prove dangerous to an expectant mother, or her unborn baby.

so hopefully those women receive their shots quickly, to remove any danger to
either them or their unborn.

It's time to stop all of this silliness about conspiracys from governments or other
culprits, this is a serious business, and we don't want to see any more deaths.

The pain and grieving on the face of the 'dad', of the young lad who died last
week after contracting HlNl, will stay in my memory forever, he was a very
healthy young man, and the last thing anyone around him expected, was to see
him die at such a young age, so now that there is a method of protecting those
most vulnerable to this flu, every effort should be made to do it.

Of course most people who get that flu will go thru it like most flus, and some
will suffer more than others, but still recover, BUT SOME WILL DIE, and how would
you like to be a parent who refused to allow your family to get vaccinated, then
stand by 'helpless' and watch one of them die.

The vaccine will not harm anyone, it is safe, but the HlNl flu can.

The only fault I can see is the huge lineups that were unnecessary with a little imagination- like getting people whos names start with A &B to show up at 8 and C & D to show up at 9 etc. instead of the whole town showing up at the same time. My brother-in-law who has severe rheumatoid arthritis and had open heart surgery 7 years ago, had to stand in line for 31/2 hours. That is cruel.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Depending on the time of day JLM, that's the way it is everywhere. Your brother-in-law should have been considered as a special case and been given his shot early. My daughter-in-law said she went to the school which had a parking lot full of cars and all the areas around it but she made the decision to go see anyway. She said that even though it looked busy, not that many people were there and she got in very fast. She waited for the morning "busyness" to be over.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I feel for your kids and grandkids Juan. When Jenn and I got it this last spring, it hit hard and fast. VI's description of how it felt to breathe is fairly accurate. >Jenn was constantly using her inhaler and I even ended up using it a few times and I don't have asthma. It put us on our backs(literally) for 3 or 4 days with temps hitting 39.7. It took another good 3 weeks to start feeling half normal, and when it comes to my Jenn, even 7 months later her blood thinner levels are still out of wack( still having problems regulating them) and the Doc says it's because of the H1N1 flu.
Did you ask why? I don't understand what the flu could/would do and I think in her case, I would really want to know. Just think you should be certain he's not blaming the wrong thing. Doctors are so busy these days I'm sure there must be times they brush things off when they maybe should be paying a little more attention.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
That sounds rough Gerry. I'm getting the Swine Flu shot tomorrow. I'm now in the priority group.....over seventy and a history of heart trouble. A few years back I got the Hong Kong Flu and that hung around for over a month. A couple weeks after the shot I can go over to the mainland and help the kids out without as much fear of catching the damn bug.
I'm sorry your family is sick Juan. You must be worried. Hopefully it will pass quickly and all will be well. I'm glad you are getting your shot. Are you going to Brickyard? I think they are giving those over 65 shots tomorrow and that's the last day there for any kind of flu shot. They say they are not allowed to administer the regular flu shot this year. New gov't ruling.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Depending on the time of day JLM, that's the way it is everywhere. Your brother-in-law should have been considered as a special case and been given his shot early. My daughter-in-law said she went to the school which had a parking lot full of cars and all the areas around it but she made the decision to go see anyway. She said that even though it looked busy, not that many people were there and she got in very fast. She waited for the morning "busyness" to be over.

That wouldn't happen, he's the type of guy who would grin and bear it rather than ask for special treatment.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm sorry your family is sick Juan. You must be worried. Hopefully it will pass quickly and all will be well. I'm glad you are getting your shot. Are you going to Brickyard? I think they are giving those over 65 shots tomorrow and that's the last day there for any kind of flu shot. They say they are not allowed to administer the regular flu shot this year. New gov't ruling.

I'm a little concerned certainly but we know enough people who have gone through the Swine Flu thing and are just fine. What the doctors and people who've had Swine Flu are saying is: Treat it like any flu. Watch for any secondary infections. If the fever goes anywhere near 103 see the doctor about an antibiotic treatment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm a little concerned certainly but we know enough people who have gone through the Swine Flu thing and are just fine. What the doctors and people who've had Swine Flu are saying is: Treat it like any flu. Watch for any secondary infections. If the fever goes anywhere near 103 see the doctor about an antibiotic treatment.

I think that's putting it in proper perpective, for one or two percent of the population there is real risk involved and they mostly know who they are, for the rest of us I think we should just settle down, practice proper hygiene and get our shot when it is convenient without a lot of hoopla.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've spoken with two people who had the h1n1 vaccine recently, and it seems to be common that your arm will be very sore for a day or two after the shot, far more noticeable than a regular flu shot, and that people seem to be very tired for 2 days or so. So don't be surprised, if you're one of the lucky ones to get a shot.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think H1N1 is different from regular flu in some aspects. For one, it seems to strike younger population. The common flu is rarely fatal to the young and healthy, all you would get is fever, tiredness for a few days and it will go away.

And that is how H1N1 will affect most people. However, for a small proportion of population, it can escalate very quickly. It may proceed from regular flu like symptoms to near death in a matter of hours.

That is why I think it is necessary to take the H1N1 vaccine. I normally don’t take the flu vaccine, and I didn’t this year either. However, I have already taken the Swine flu vaccine. It is only a prudent precaution.

As to those who don’t want to take the shot, they have to consider several things. One, the pandemic may not be as bad as the government is saying, it may turn out to be much less severer than expected (as happened in 1976). Second, even if the pandemic is severe, it may not affect them. Third, even if it affects them, they may have only mild flu like symptoms and that will be that.

However, there is a small but finite chance that they may get Swine flu and it may turn out to be fatal. If somebody is prepared to take that chance, I can understand them not taking the vaccine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Another thing I've noticed is that some people with proven Swine Flu are shaking it off in just over a week while others with the same bug are suffering for a month. The doctor can take a throat swab and know exactly what you have in about a week and a half.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here in Saskatchewan, last week...the health care workers (& office employees and
administration, etc...) got their shots. This week it's children 6mo-4yrs of age and the
expectant mothers in their 2nd & 3rd trimesters. The following week will be those with
compromised health issues....and then the following week (start'n on the 16th-ish) the
general population (assuming availability of vaccine) can start receiving their shots...

We're doing it a bit differently (release dates) than everyone else it seems. When it
happens, it happens, and no rushing it for Saskatchewan. Whatever...:roll:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Well, we had the shot on Thursday, and did experience the tiredness and sore arm for a day or two, it wasn't severe though. Another 9 days or so til we're actually immune though.

What's pissing me off royally though is the number of instructors showing up for work who are obviously sick and contagious. It sends a really bad mixed message to the student body as to how they should conduct themselves if they get sick, and puts us all in the midst of this disgusting flu soup. I'm going through Lysol wipes like crazy here! It's not myself I'm worried about - my daughter is asthmatic and a common cold can kick her ass so I'm quite worried about this.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Here in Saskatchewan, last week...the health care workers (& office employees and
administration, etc...) got their shots. This week it's children 6mo-4yrs of age and the
expectant mothers in their 2nd & 3rd trimesters. The following week will be those with
compromised health issues....and then the following week (start'n on the 16th-ish) the
general population (assuming availability of vaccine) can start receiving their shots...

We're doing it a bit differently (release dates) than everyone else it seems. When it
happens, it happens, and no rushing it for Saskatchewan. Whatever...:roll:

They have not started giving the vaccine to general population here in Ontario, but my wife was able to slip me in. Technically I am a health care worker, since I am on my wife’s payroll.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They have not started giving the vaccine to general population here in Ontario, but my wife was able to slip me in. Technically I am a health care worker, since I am on my wife’s payroll.

I plan on getting an H1N1 vaccination....when I know those that have compromised
immune systems & underlying health problems & the elderly & all children have
been taken care of first.....and I know that my shot will not mean someone
listed above will be deprived of their shot by me. It may be a while.

How many weeks away will it be for the general population to start getting
into line in Ontario?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That is why I think it is necessary to take the H1N1 vaccine. I normally don’t take the flu vaccine, and I didn’t this year either. However, I have already taken the Swine flu vaccine. It is only a prudent precaution.

What high-risk group do you fit into, that you got the vaccine already?

Never mind, I see that you've answered it already.

I have even less respect for you now; you know that you are not a front-line health care worker. You should be ashamed of yourself.