“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And how do you figure that?
Simple, it just isn't. It's been around since Soldiers first went off to war. The "yellow ribbon" is older then Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, and so on. It's never been applied to any political party, it's never been applied to support for any specific war, police action or peace keeping mission. It is merely what it says it is, Support for our Troops. Those that perform a duty, to keep us safe, free and able to hold such events as the Olympics, without fear of acts of violence. Hence the Canadian Military presence in Vancouver at said moment. Something odd about not being able to pay homage to those standing on guard at the very event, that now wishes to strip the simple moniker "Support our Troops" from one of the players gear.

Again, it isn't a political movement, it's a simple statement, that means what it says, anyone that thinks otherwise, hasn't clue one and/or, is a complete moron.

Reactions: Goober

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Simple, it just isn't. It's been around since Soldiers first went off to war. The "yellow ribbon" is older then Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, and so on. It's never been applied to any political party, it's never been applied to support for any specific war, police action or peace keeping mission. It is merely what it says it is, Support for our Troops. Those that perform a duty, to keep us safe, free and able to hold such events as the Olympics, without fear of acts of violence. Hence the Canadian Military presence in Vancouver at said moment. Something odd about not being able to pay homage to those standing on guard at the very event, that now wishes to strip the simple moniker "Support our Troops" from one of the players gear.

Again, it isn't a political movement, it's a simple statement, that means what it
says, anyone that thinks otherwise, hasn't clue one and/or, is a complete moron.

Well said Bear - of all the nitpicky commentaries I have read about the Olympics
this one has to be the winner of "not a clue"!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's even more interesting to consider the implications of the 'Support Our Troops' banners, when our troops are in Afghanistan, when you remember that we boycotted the Moscow Olympics because....Russian troops were in Afghanistan.

It is a slippery slope, once you start allowing one slogan that is not one of the official sponsors, you'd have to allow them all. 'Miller Time' is a well known beer slogan.

Just because you happen to believe in the sentiment of a slogan doesn't mean the rules should be bent for that particular cause.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's even more interesting to consider the implications of the 'Support Our Troops' banners, when our troops are in Afghanistan, when you remember that we boycotted the Moscow Olympics because....Russian troops were in Afghanistan.
That would be pertinent if "Support our Troops" was in support of military action, which of course it isn't.

It is a slippery slope, once you start allowing one slogan that is not one of the official sponsors, you'd have to allow them all. 'Miller Time' is a well known beer slogan.
No it's not. It's simple really. We in the west enjoy a lifestyle and level of security afforded us, by those that would lay down their lives in sacrifice of ours, period. Whether you agree with that, support that, or believe that, is irrelevant. The fact remains, that is exactly what Soldiers do. Furthermore, if not for their actions over the decades, events like the Olympics would be a distant memory.

As for "Miller Time", his name is Miller. I fully grasp the connotation, but the fact remains, his name is Miller and he has sported that personal nic for some time.

Just because you happen to believe in the sentiment of a slogan doesn't mean the rules should be bent for that particular cause.
What rule has been broken, "Miller Time" as it pertains to Miller is not an ad, and "Support our Troops" is not a political slogan. Somebody at the IOC' got his panties in a wad.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That would be pertinent if "Support our Troops" was in support of military action, which of course it isn't.

No it's not. It's simple really. We in the west enjoy a lifestyle and level of security afforded us, by those that would lay down their lives in sacrifice of ours, period. Whether you agree with that, support that, or believe that, is irrelevant. The fact remains, that is exactly what Soldiers do. Furthermore, if not for their actions over the decades, events like the Olympics would be a distant memory.

As for "Miller Time", his name is Miller. I fully grasp the connotation, but the fact remains, his name is Miller and he has sported that personal nic for some time.

What rule has been broken, "Miller Time" as it pertains to Miller is not an ad, and "Support our Troops" is not a political slogan. Somebody at the IOC' got his panties in a wad.

If that's the way you want to interpret it, go right ahead.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If that's the way you want to interpret it, go right ahead.
What other way is there to interpret the FACT that "Support our Troops" is non political, and the man's name is Miller and his nic has been such for quite sometime?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What other way is there to interpret the FACT that "Support our Troops" is non political, and the man's name is Miller and his nic has been such for quite sometime?

I'm sure the company that brews Miller beer appreciates your reasoning bear. By all means let's give a brewery free advertising.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
"support our troops" is political. You can't deny that. The armed forces are part of the government.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm sure the company that brews Miller beer appreciates your reasoning bear. By all means let's give a brewery free advertising.
Someones going to have to prove that he's been paid or in some way remunerated for doing so.

Anything else is conjecture at best.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"support our troops" is political. You can't deny that. The armed forces are part of the government.
:lol:, so is the TSSA and they license me. Does that make me political? The lady that took my picture at the Driver's license center works for the Gov't, is she political?

Nope, you're stretching. "Support our Troops" is not partisan, it makes no claims to support any chosen conflict that the Gov't of the day wishes to participate in. It is simply a message in support of those that would die for you and I. I would even support, defend the rights of those Nations that actually stand against our Troops to wear the same message on their gear. It's not "political propaganda". It's a message of support for men and women protecting our rights and freedoms so we can participate in such events as the Olympics.

It's as simple as that.

Nice try though.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Someones going to have to prove that he's been paid or in some way remunerated for doing so.

Anything else is conjecture at best.

You are still missing the point. As long as it stays on the helmet the advertising is there. So we give the brewery free advertising because a player duplicates a beer slogan using his name.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You are still missing the point. As long as it stays on the helmet the advertising is there. So we give the brewery free advertising because a player duplicates a beer slogan with his name.
Prove it!

It makes no difference, his name is Miller and that's the point. My name is Bear, literally, does that mean if I put Bear on my gear, I'm giving free advertising to Bear Archery products?

He's acquiesced to the request to remove "Miller Time", so the point is moot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Prove it!

He's acquiesced to the request to remove "Miller Time", so the point is moot.

Prove what? That "Miller Time" has been around longer than that kid has been alive?

I'm glad he could see that I was right......;-):smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Prove what?
That he was wearing it as a slogan to advertise Miller Brewery.

That "Miller Time" has been around longer than that kid has been alive?
I see you missed the point completely.

I'm glad he could see that I was right......;-):smile:
I'm glad you and the IOC have the same myopic views. No wonder the IOC has the credibility of the Bush administration.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Now you're being obtuse Bear

Since "Miller" is the kid's name he has every right to use that name. As soon as he lengthened it to "Millertime", a well-known beer jingo, he broke with the agreement the U.S, Olympic Committee signed to adhere to.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
:lol:, so is the TSSA and they license me. Does that make me political? The lady that took my picture at the Driver's license center works for the Gov't, is she political?

Nope, you're stretching. "Support our Troops" is not partisan, it makes no claims to support any chosen conflict that the Gov't of the day wishes to participate in. It is simply a message in support of those that would die for you and I. I would even support, defend the rights of those Nations that actually stand against our Troops to wear the same message on their gear. It's not "political propaganda". It's a message of support for men and women protecting our rights and freedoms so we can participate in such events as the Olympics.

It's as simple as that.

Nice try though.
You are the one stretching it. To the yankee's enemies, it is political. Pretty simple...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Now you're being obtuse Bear
No I'm not, you're being myopic. You've made the connection between his slogan and Miller Brewery. Proving they've advertising works. His personal slogan, no matter how much you seem to want to connect it to Miller Brewery, had nothing to do with Miller Brewery.

Hence my point, only the simple minded would be so mypoic as to make such kneejerk reactions.

Since "Miller" is the kid's name he has every right to use that name. As soon as he lengthened it to "Millertime", a well-known beer jingo, he broke with the agreement the U.S, Olympic Committee signed to adhere to.
Blah, blah blah!

You are the one stretching it. To the yankee's enemies, it is political. Pretty simple...
:roll:, oh brother. The problem is, you are one of the obviously clueless I spoke of earlier. Go research "Support our Troops" and the Yellow Ribbon and get back to me.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Blah, blah blah!

Good argument Bear. Perhaps one of your best efforts.......:roll::smile: