“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Not at all.

Given that neither you nor TP understand nor wish to even attempt to do so, the mindset of the military man, neither of you will understand that we do not just "Support our Troops". We feel a bond with all those that serve. Including those that have served uniformed against us.

It's called respect.

I get all that Bear, I really do. I do, however, disagree with your contention that a "bond" is felt with those that have served against the allies but that is another topic.

And it surely isn't myopic. Now, back to "Support our Troops". A non political organization, with a statement of supporting the wounded and the families thereof.

I can and have tried to see it from your perspective. And seriously, I still can not for the life of me see, how you can come to any other conclusion, then it isn't political. Except of course, you're viewing it with an ideological filter and with little to no understanding of the organization itself. Which I believe you are.

Again, I understand, and as a matter of fact I purchased and display a "support our troops" ribbon on my vehicle for the very reason of where the money goes.

The statement and supporting organisation behind it are not political here in North America. The statement and picture WOULD be considered political in damn near the rest of the world as the rest of the world has no knowledge of the grass roots organization that started this.

North America is NOT the world, nor are we the be all and end all. What we say and do is NOT necessarily broadcast around the world for all to see and hear. Out of 6 billion plus people on this planet we make up less than 400 million.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
one more thing, you are not being asked to change your view, just to see it from someone elses perspective too.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I get all that Bear, I really do. I do, however, disagree with your contention that a "bond" is felt with those that have served against the allies but that is another topic.
Agreed...;-)

Again, I understand, and as a matter of fact I purchased and display a "support our troops" ribbon on my vehicle for the very reason of where the money goes.
:cool:

The statement and supporting organisation behind it are not political here in North America. The statement and picture WOULD be considered political in damn near the rest of the world as the rest of the world has no knowledge of the grass roots organization that started this.
The picture in question, in retrospect, is political in nature. I'm big enough to admit my error there.

North America is NOT the world, nor are we the be all and end all. What we say and do is NOT necessarily broadcast around the world for all to see and hear. Out of 6 billion plus people on this planet we make up less than 400 million.
Again I agree, and I can fully grasp how someone without foreknowledge may perceive even the benign yellow ribbon and quotation. Had we been discussing the red ribbon, or flag ribbon and accompanied quotation, I would also agree, it would be blatantly political.

Last edited: