“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
In ancient Greece, the Olympic Games became one of the worlds most enduring and hallowed institutions. They were celebrated continuously for almost 1,200 years. The athletes who won were lauded as heroes for life, and often elevated to the status of royalty in their hometowns. Statues were erected in their honor around the extraordinary Temple of Zeus, near the Sacred Grove of Altis and the stadium at Olympia.

An international truce among the Greeks was declared for the month before the Olympics to allow the athletes to reach Olympia safely.

Nothing about advertising or politics mentioned in original rules.

Original Olympics

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
what he means is that he is unable to explain or backup his statement.
Already done so. I have seen nothing but ideological rhetoric, plus signs and equal signs, and 4 year old grudges, in a faint attempt to prove otherwise.

Yes he does, on the top of his head... :cool:
At least it's sharp, as apposed to the dull wit that some of you pass off as deep thought.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
At first I thought he should keep the helmet and what a patriotic statement “Support Our Troops” but then again when you look at the design of the American eagle and the flag there is a sword which means death to anyone that opposes us then I agree with the IOC.

The enemy countries of the Americans are represented at the Olympics and this event cannot have political statements right in front of those athletes while they are competing because they lose their concentration and lose the event.

The political statements belong outside with the protesters

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
At first I thought he should keep the helmet and what a patriotic statement “Support Our Troops” but then again when you look at the design of the American eagle and the flag there is a sword which means death to anyone that opposes us then I agree with the IOC.

The enemy countries of the Americans are represented at the Olympics and this event cannot have political statements right in front of those athletes while they are competing because they lose their concentration and lose the event.

The political statements belong outside with the protesters
You know what Liberaldud, I actually agree with that. Given that the artwork contained military symbolism, I actually agree, it should have been removed.

But that still doesn't make the statement "Support our Troops" political.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
po·lit·i·cal (p
-l
t
-k
l)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state.

'our troops' = troops hired by our state.

Therefore, 'support our troops' = 'support the people hired by our state to do its bidding', which is inherently a political statement, having to do with the affairs of state.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You know what Liberaldud, I actually agree with that. Given that the artwork contained military symbolism, I actually agree, it should have been removed.

But that still doesn't make the statement "Support our Troops" political.

ROFLMFAO..... getting damn good at splitting hairs, aren't ya.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Perhaps you have, somewhere else. Certainly you have never proven such a thing here on this forum.
Your confusion stems from either your childish 4 year old grudge, or a severe reading comprehension issue.

You have stated that it is your opinion, but that counts for about as much as one micron in the distance to the sun.
As if yours means anything that stellar.

po·lit·i·cal (p
-l
t
-k
l)
adj. 1. Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state.

'our troops' = troops hired by our state.

Therefore, 'support our troops' = 'support the people hired by our state to do its bidding', which is inherently a political statement, having to do with the affairs of state.
Again, "Support our troops" is not in reference to supporting the actions of the state. It is a support system for those people that do or have served.

Seeing as the state does not create people, nor are they in the employ of the state, once they have finished their service, nor is "Support out Troops" in anyway a support for state policy or action, it is solely about the person, not the state.

Furthermore, it is in direct response to the deficiency of the state that "Support our Troops" is mandated.

Hence it's non political, non partisan stature.

I can understand your confusion, myopic thinkers oft have difficulty making distinctions between such complicated things. Especially when compounded by ideologies and grudges.

ROFLMFAO..... getting damn good at splitting hairs, aren't ya.
Not at all.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't sell yourself short, you are getting very good at it.
Gh, your ideology on the subject, makes you a tad bias. As well as the other guy with the sad little grudge.

This isn't a debate or discussion. This is how I see it, this is how everyone I know attached to the organization sees it. So what does that tell you? It's obviously an ideology issue.

I'm not going to change your' or the sad little guys ideology. You aren't going to change mine.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Your confusion stems from either your childish 4 year old grudge, or a severe reading comprehension issue.

I have no idea what you are talking about, I can only assume that you are a 4 year old with a grudge against someone.

You seem to have some problem with defining words, so I'll leave you to your world.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I have no idea what you are talking about, I can only assume that you are a 4 year old with a grudge against someone.
You're projecting again TP.

You seem to have some problem with defining words, so I'll leave you to your world.
In other words you just can't prove your case? Or you just can't past that 4 year old, sad little grudge you have against me? Or your ideology, is of such, that you just can't see past it?

Or all of the above?

In any case, the weakness is yours.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Bear, you talk of others not being able to see past things........

You have already admitted that the picture on the helmet depicts military symbolism and agreed that it should be removed. Now look at the whole thing from someones perspective that does NOT live in North America. Someone that does NOT know that "Support our troops" is in regard to supporting family's and returning service men/women. Someone that does NOT know where the money goes that is raised by the "Support our Troops" program. Someone that only knows that that u.s. troops are fighting in at least 2 theaters, Iraq and Afghanistan with Iraq being the most contentious in the world today.

Now, can you honestly say that considering all of the above that the picture and slogan would not be considered a political statement?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bear, you talk of others not being able to see past things........
I have already admitted we have two different perspectives Gh. And they aren't likely going to change anytime soon. My point is...

You have already admitted that the picture on the helmet depicts military symbolism and agreed that it should be removed. Now look at the whole thing from someones perspective that does NOT live in North America. Someone that does NOT know that "Support our troops" is in regard to supporting family's and returning service men/women. Someone that does NOT know where the money goes that is raised by the "Support our Troops" program. Someone that only knows that that u.s. troops are fighting in at least 2 theaters, Iraq and Afghanistan with Iraq being the most contentious in the world today.
Ignorance is no excuse. Just as I won't let TP off the hook for his, people need to educate themselves. Instead of kneejerk reactions, how about they take a second and ask.
Now, can you honestly say that considering all of the above that the picture and slogan would not be considered a political statement?
Yes, but this conversation morphed into a debate on whether or not "Support our Troops" was a political statement. Which it is not.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes, but this conversation morphed into a debate on whether or not "Support our Troops" was a political statement. Which it is not.

In the eyes of the IOC and the rest of the world, it is a political statement and I just explained why.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In the eyes of the IOC and the rest of the world, it is a political statement and I just explained why.
In the eyes of teh IOC maybe, but not the rest of the world, that's a bit of a stretch. And I've explained it numerous times as to why.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
In the eyes of teh IOC maybe, but not the rest of the world, that's a bit of a stretch. And I've explained it numerous times as to why.

No, you've explained it from your view point. From the view point of North Americans. You accuse others of a myopic view. Time to, once again, check that mirror out Bear.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It doesn't matter where the money goes, and it doesn't matter if the organization is a government-related organization or not.

The sentiment 'support our troops' is an inherently political sentiment, in the larger meaning of the word 'political'.

Perhaps CDNBear's problem is his personal definition of 'political', I don't know. He persists on believing I have a grudge against him, I can't imagine why.

If he cannot stop for a minute, and look up the various meanings of the word 'political', and he is unable to expand his mind to understand the implications of those definitions, there is not much that can be done for him.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, you've explained it from your view point. From the view point of North Americans. You accuse others of a myopic view. Time to, once again, check that mirror out Bear.
Not at all.

Given that neither you nor TP understand nor wish to even attempt to do so, the mindset of the military man, neither of you will understand that we do not just "Support our Troops". We feel a bond with all those that serve. Including those that have served uniformed against us.

It's called respect.

And it surely isn't myopic. Now, back to "Support our Troops". A non political organization, with a statement of supporting the wounded and the families thereof.

I can and have tried to see it from your perspective. And seriously, I still can not for the life of me see, how you can come to any other conclusion, then it isn't political. Except of course, you're viewing it with an ideological filter and with little to no understanding of the organization itself. Which I believe you are.

As for TP, I bet I could say something he would otherwise support, but because I said it, he would rail against me. He's the quintessential little man, still holding a grudge from years ago on a now defunct forum. Over a disagreement on a similar subject, to which I made an error, and apologized for. But being as small as he is, he can't rise above his petty little stature and here we, at odds.