“Support Our Troops” slogan falls foul of Olympic rules

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
.........I think it's better to avoid that whole ball of wax. The Olympics afterall are really more than just athletes. There is the consumer side of things, branded by country, and by product. That should probably stay where it is. But I think tha's likely something of a personal choice for the audience out there.
I think you are right. All advertising should stop.
But, if the Olympics didn't exist, there would still be athletes competing. If athletes didn't exist, the Olys sure wouldn't. I think the OIC has forgotten that, or perhaps it never occurred to them in the first place.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Slogans, logos, etc, at the Olympics are carefully controlled because the Olympics relies on commercial sponsors. If McDonalds is an Olympic sponsor, you don't want Burger King logos on all the hockey players' uniforms.

End of story.

If you don't like it, don't become an Olympic athlete.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Slogans, logos, etc, at the Olympics are carefully controlled because the Olympics relies on commercial sponsors..........
Another reason why the Olys are a farce. The best campaigners (usually the ones that front the most money) get to be the sponsors, not the companies with the best products. The better a company can coddle the IOC, the more likely the company's chances to become a sponsor.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Another reason why the Olys are a farce. The best campaigners (usually the ones that front the most money) get to be the sponsors, not the companies with the best products. The better a company can coddle the IOC, the more likely the company's chances to become a sponsor.

No, the companies who cough up the most money get to be the sponsors.

That's what being a sponsor is all about.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Slogans, logos, etc, at the Olympics are carefully controlled because the Olympics relies on commercial sponsors. If McDonalds is an Olympic sponsor, you don't want Burger King logos on all the hockey players' uniforms.

End of story.

If you don't like it, don't become an Olympic athlete.

When the first US Basketball "Dream Team" played I believe Reebok was the official sponsor of the gear. I believe it was Charles Barkley that said...

"I'll give you 7 Million reasons why I won't wear a Reebok suit"

...as he had a contract with Nike.

The story went something like that. I may have the name and brands wrong.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The problem with allowing 'anything' that the player wants
on part of his equipment, there are always the few who will
take it to such a degree, it becomes obscene, and of course,
the next statement is, obscene to who, and that starts the
war, so I agree that the ioc be in charge of what appears or
doesn't appear on the helmet etc.
I don't think players should be making personal statements
on parts of their hockey gear.
They can put all the personal statements they want, on their
personal clothing.

lunarwinds

The Local Music Teacher
Feb 14, 2010
The problem with allowing 'anything' that the player wants
on part of his equipment, there are always the few who will
take it to such a degree, it becomes obscene, and of course,
the next statement is, obscene to who, and that starts the
war, so I agree that the ioc be in charge of what appears or
doesn't appear on the helmet etc.
I don't think players should be making personal statements
on parts of their hockey gear.
They can put all the personal statements they want, on their
personal clothing.

Yeah, I think it just needs to be neutral, the IOC are not control freaks, they just want to keep it as peaceful as possible. I think that when you compete in the Olympics, the world issues of today that could have two sided opinions should be left out, forgotten. It is stupid that the United States has to bring in its pro-war to the games. It needs to be taken off, we are not here to discuss war or support it, we are here to compete...mind you, compete on friendly terms.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
IOC rules forbid political propoganda or advertisements being placed on equipment.
A whole lot of typical kneejerk reactions to something, obviously lost on the IOC and the bulk of the members here.

1, "Support our Troops", is not "political propaganda". It's not even a political movement in any way, shape or form.

2, Neither "Miller time", "Matt Man", nor "Support our Troops" are advertisements.

Unlike the brand names plastered all over equipment on the every athlete. "Uvex", "Oakley", "Fischer", "Prior", "Simms" "K2" and so on.

My guess is, there's more to the complaint then just supposed rule violations.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
A whole lot of typical kneejerk reactions to something, obviously lost on the IOC and the bulk of the members here.

1, "Support our Troops", is not "political propaganda". It's not even a political movement in any way, shape or form.
And how do you figure that?