Study Confirms That Fox News Makes You Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I hear that weasel isn't any better ... than the fox ... not for dinner, not in a box or wearing socks, with a fox, not in the rain, on a train, in Spain ... or on a boat in a moat with a goat.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not sure that the study confirms that Fox News makes you stupid, it might rather be taken to mean that people of that sort prefer Fox.

Yeah, they kind of have the causality backwards, kind of like saying the more fire fighters who arrive to put out a fire, the more expensive the damages will be.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
My daughter said something that silly the other day. She said "the longer her son sleeps, the sooner he'll wake up". She, of course, meant, the more likely it is that he will wake up soon.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hear that weasel isn't any better ... than the fox ... not for dinner, not in a box or wearing socks, with a fox, not in the rain, on a train, in Spain ... or on a boat in a moat with a goat.

I do not like green eggs and ham. :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My daughter said something that silly the other day. She said "the longer her son sleeps, the sooner he'll wake up". She, of course, meant, the more likely it is that he will wake up soon.

Not that silly- Had she said "the more time that passes the sooner he'll wake up" she'd have been right on. :smile:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Not that silly- Had she said "the more time that passes the sooner he'll wake up" she'd have been right on. :smile:

That's probably what she said ... but it was the sort of thing that comes out wrong - best of intentions aside.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There is an advert on TV that claims with their brand of snow tires you will "stop up to 15 feet further." Written by a fox?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Study Confirms That Fox News Makes You Stupid | Media and Culture | AlterNet

December 15, 2010 |

Yet another study has been released proving that watching Fox News is detrimental to your intelligence. World Public Opinion, a project managed by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, conducted a survey of American voters that shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed than consumers of news from other sources. What’s more, the study shows that greater exposure to Fox News increases misinformation.

So I would take it that you watch Fox News???????

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Thing is to not loose sight of the game plan, the message massagers aren't overly concerned on hard fact elaborations but are deeply concerned on ratings, fox is entertainment in a news format with a not so subtle spin that drives the left nuts. Springer figured it out and has been around for years, political correctness is taboo and facts are irrelevant, ratings are paramount, stupid is as stupid does and corporate america wouldn't have it any other way. It's a simple equation if you want balanced insight switch from dr. phil and msnbc to springer and fox to diversify your perspective.
Cable News Ratings: Top 30 Programs In November 2010 (PHOTOS)

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
In my opinion watching something doesnt make you stupid, it could make you less informed..... In my opinion the person who published the study and posted this in the forum is mis informed.. And if you ask me (which you didnt) the anti fox crowd really seems to be becoming childish

You are probably right there. Viewers who are exposed to a steady diet of misinformation probably appear to be less intelligent even if they are not. Misinformation It is an old technique frequently used by both fascist and communist regimes to promote their agendas. I guess the question that should be asked is why anyone of normal intelligence would deliberately submit to a steady diet of misinformation when all they have to do is change the channel.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Study Confirms That Fox News Makes You Stupid | Media and Culture | AlterNet

December 15, 2010 |

Yet another study has been released proving that watching Fox News is detrimental to your intelligence. World Public Opinion, a project managed by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, conducted a survey of American voters that shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed than consumers of news from other sources. What’s more, the study shows that greater exposure to Fox News increases misinformation.
Ya, I read the actual survey. Again, you really should do your own research. When you don't, you end up making ridiculous OP's like this.

If you were so inclined to think for yourself, instead of allowing "Alternet" do it for you, you would have been able to note such findings as, a greater number of people who identified as Democrats, thought Barack implemented TARP.

As Karrie noted, Alternet takes a huge leap in logic, and artistic license in its titling of that story. They could have, if their political ideology were so inclined, just as easily applied it to a more Liberal American news outlet. Further to that, anyone that uses a single source or even multiple sources of a single ideological slant to acquire information, without balance, without fact checking and certainly without doing a little of their own research. Runs the risk of posting idiotic OP's, such as this.

people who think Glenn Beck has anything worth listening to ??
I think he does. I also think Margolis has something worth listening to.

You are exactly what you claim the viewers of Faux News are. Only on the opposite side of the spectrum

Have no worries, with maturity oft comes balance. If one is so inclined to allow such open thoughts to enter ones head.

You are probably right there. Viewers who are exposed to a steady diet of misinformation probably appear to be less intelligent even if they are not. Misinformation It is an old technique frequently used by both fascist and communist regimes to promote their agendas. I guess the question that should be asked is why anyone of normal intelligence would deliberately submit to a steady diet of misinformation when all they have to do is change the channel.
Well said.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I would extend that to include Liberals and Conservatives. :smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
A study done/sponsored by the University of Maryland?

The State that foisted Joe Biden on unsuspecting world. AND Steny Hoyer.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
God the CBC must make you wimpy, limp wristed, condescending, outraged and retarded all at the same time.

How bout it CUBert, you watch the CBC?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

No kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.