Something Fishy in Canada. Very Fishy.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Word around the ol'water cooler has been that those pesky euro's arent done yet....

They are rallying to come at us for the Bear Hunts we offer to americans.. Polar Bears i understand...

There calling them the $30,000 trophy hunts, its a shame too cause alot of people up north rely on unlce sams money to survive...

Apparently its in humane, well ill take them euros seriously when they all become vegetarians lol, and even then farming plants and not letting them go in the wild is slavery :p

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Back that up please. Something as general as that statement needs to be qualified, if you please.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Let's revise shall we?

You said:

I asked you to back that up and so you post a link to Peta?
Come on, Peta is radical in comparison to most animal rights groups.
I don't see how you can seriously make the suggestion that they are in fact the model of animal rights groups.

Someone has to take the side of humane and ethical treatment of animals even during a harvest. We know what happens when there is only the side of only those who make a profit off a resource doing the talking.

I have no issue with monitoring the hunt to ensure it's carried out within the guidelines set by our governing bodies. I do, however, take issue with raving lunatics who shout and scream above everybody else to further their agenda.

Then you go on to finish with:

Well when you say "Man" you actually mean the people who fish these oceans daily. It wasn't the farmers who fished out the fishery. It wasn't the seals who run factory fishing vessels off the Grand Banks. That was the fishermen who despite what DFO, scientists and animal rights groups said, choose money over all else and took more than the resource could sustain until the fishery collapsed.

So why in the world do we have to listen to the same bad ideas that brought down the fishery when it's obvious that they will take all they can regardless of the damage it leaves for future generations of Maritimers and the inbalance it creates in the ecosystem?

That's right 'MAN' alone has done the damage to the oceans we are witnessing today. I would not accuse the small inshore fishing boats of overfishing the resources. But the foreign trawlers that were allowed to scrap and scour the spawning grounds are definitely guilty. And who allowed this to happen? Our federal government in it's infinite wisdom. Some of these politicians could have been farmers for all I know. This industry survived nearly 500 years, humming along just fine until NL became part of Canada and the rest as they say is history.

Indeed.
No argument here.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This little news story this morning should have the treehuggers up in arms. The seal population is nice and healthy but the cod stocks are in further danger. Get out there you pansie-assed, Starbucks-sipping woosies and bring attention to the real story.

Bad News for Cod Stocks
March 27, 2009, VOCM

The latest stock assessment for cod in the southern Newfoundland and Labrador region is not good. DFO has released the results of the assessment for Atlantic cod in 3PS. The total biomass from DFO research indicates a decline since 2004. In fact, the 2008 biomass estimate is less than 50 per cent of the average for 1997-2008. The survey spawning stock biomass is in decline and is near the lowest levels ever observed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
While I support the seal hunt, I loathe bad argument. And throughout this I've been hearing 'why don't they protect this, and why don't they protect that...'

PETA is virulently opposed to meat eating of any kind, right down to, yes mt, a new 'sea kittens' campaign on the internet that attempts to bring attention to the plight of fish everywhere, and convince people not to eat them, ESPECIALLY due to low stock levels. They would prefer we stopped killing the seals, and stopped killing the fish, and just let nature balance it out.

In that respect, they are even and fair in their approach. I still have no respect for their ultimate message, but, they are definitely attempting to tackle more issues than one at a time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This little news story this morning should have the treehuggers up in arms. The seal population is nice and healthy but the cod stocks are in further danger. Get out there you pansie-assed, Starbucks-sipping woosies and bring attention to the real story.

Bad News for Cod Stocks
March 27, 2009, VOCM

The latest stock assessment for cod in the southern Newfoundland and Labrador region is not good. DFO has released the results of the assessment for Atlantic cod in 3PS. The total biomass from DFO research indicates a decline since 2004. In fact, the 2008 biomass estimate is less than 50 per cent of the average for 1997-2008. The survey spawning stock biomass is in decline and is near the lowest levels ever observed.

Well, that's just it- before you can take a stand against something you have to make sure you have the whole picture, some people just have to protest and yap so as to get their mugs noticed, even if it's just spewing a diarreahic deluge.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
While I support the seal hunt, I loathe bad argument. And throughout this I've been hearing 'why don't they protect this, and why don't they protect that...'

Karrie, I prefer to call it healthy debate but go on....

PETA is virulently opposed to meat eating of any kind, right down to, yes mt, a new 'sea kittens' campaign on the internet that attempts to bring attention to the plight of fish everywhere, and convince people not to eat them, ESPECIALLY due to low stock levels. They would prefer we stopped killing the seals, and stopped killing the fish, and just let nature balance it out.

In that respect, they are even and fair in their approach. I still have no respect for their ultimate message, but, they are definitely attempting to tackle more issues than one at a time.

Well it seems you know your PETA stats very well so I can't argue (debate) with you there. I prefer to stay away from their website lest they somehow use their mind bending trash to sway my thoughts. I get their overall message and that's enough for me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well it seems you know your PETA stats very well so I can't argue (debate) with you there. I prefer to stay away from their website lest they somehow use their mind bending trash to sway my thoughts. I get their overall message and that's enough for me.

I don't visit the PETA site either, but they have made news for several campaigns, and the 'sea kittens' one was one of the more recent. I like to keep myself apprised of what the quasi-terrorist groups in our countries are up to. lol.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Are you admitting to having a weak mind? If you are that easily swayed, then if I were you I wouldn't even read the trash on here.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Word around the ol'water cooler has been that those pesky euro's arent done yet....

They are rallying to come at us for the Bear Hunts we offer to americans.. Polar Bears i understand...

Polar Bears are listed as a threatened species now.

There calling them the $30,000 trophy hunts, its a shame too cause alot of people up north rely on unlce sams money to survive...

Same with the US drug trade. Big tobacco and toxic waste also provide food for plenty of tables. Does your argument apply there?

Apparently its in humane, well ill take them euros seriously when they all become vegetarians lol, and even then farming plants and not letting them go in the wild is slavery :p

Raising a food staple, slughtering it humanely and using all of the animal is pretty far removed from shooting a wild animal that is on the threatened species list for fun and using only part of it for something that could be done without.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Are you admitting to having a weak mind? If you are that easily swayed, then if I were you I wouldn't even read the trash on here.
Only when I'm under the influence of alcoholic beverages or in the spell of a beautiful woman. Otherwise, I admit nothing of the sort.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

And of course Peta is the only voice speaking against the seal hunt.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And of course Peta is the only voice speaking against the seal hunt.

No, they're not... but it's just that I repeatedly hear the same thing being thrown about. "Why don't people care about the fish", "Why doesn't someone protest lambs", etc. My point was just that some do.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well when you say "Man" you actually mean the people who fish these oceans daily. It wasn't the farmers who fished out the fishery. It wasn't the seals who run factory fishing vessels off the Grand Banks. That was the fishermen who despite what DFO, scientists and animal rights groups said, choose money over all else and took more than the resource could sustain until the fishery collapsed.

I remember hearing the people on the northern tip of Van Island complain when the Gov't made mention on slowing the growth of fish farms in the archipelago's there. The people were mad. It was their bread and butter. It didn't matter that there was a sea lice epidemic and it was attacking wild pink salmon. It didn't matter that the waste from fish food was poisoning the water. They wanted their money. It happens in the Eastern Provinces and it happens in the western provinces.

A small sample:
CBC News Indepth: Fishing

Not that the gov't would actually slow it down too much. They'd only limit foreign investment. Many DFO members are financially backing Canadian fish farms. A bit of a conflict to be sure...

DFO can't manage fish stocks. Gov't has agreements with the natives who've got rights to fish what ever whenever. And if you think it's small time you're wrong. There are large Native fisheries going on. The gov't has agreements with fish farms, they have agreements with big business. ( Did you know in BC Jim Pattison group also owns a fishing company. Which earns millions of dollars a year on fish?)

How can a gov't manage fish stocks when their bound by tradition, law, and they're own greed.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
unforgiven i said i uderstand why the euros would get all worked up about polar bears

And i dont know you would have to ask the inuits up north if they are part of the drug trade, i cant speak on there behalf....

Mabye getting involved in the drug trade would be a good idea?

Americans just dont pay big bucks for polar bears, but also black, and brown bears... Alot of Sportmen lodges rely on the money coming from the south... And my concern is that the animal rights activists will just blindly fight any bear hunting

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yea, its liek that couple from the niagra region who have been spreading false information about coyote conservation and how we need tighter restrictions on them, when in actuality the coyote populations in ontario are exploding

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
No, they're not... but it's just that I repeatedly hear the same thing being thrown about. "Why don't people care about the fish", "Why doesn't someone protest lambs", etc. My point was just that some do.

So why choose the extreme to dispute? That's like saying those people who kill a bear for the gaul bladder are typical of hunters and so there should be no hunting.

The seal hunt has little to do with food and everything to do with a cruel tradition that has as the only support, the fashion industry.
The same people who feel that a woman that weighs more than 98 pounds ruins the way a dress looks.

I have no problem with native hunting for sustanance nor hunt for sustanance at all. Hunting for fashion and profit is wrong.

I eat lamp and were wool. Tell me Kerrie, how many seals have you gobbled up and how many seal skin suits have you hanging in your closet?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yea, its liek that couple from the niagra region who have been spreading false information about coyote conservation and how we need tighter restrictions on them, when in actuality the coyote populations in ontario are exploding

ah, I get it. It's too bad these organizations don't realize that when they've been found out for knowling spreading false information how anything out else they have to say (no matter how true and dyer) is then summarily dismissed.