Something Fishy in Canada. Very Fishy.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
People like Paul Watson really piss me off. I guess with him it's whales.

You want to p*ss him off? Buy his boat, the MV Farley Mowatt is currently under arrest in Sydney and is being auctioned off by the sherriff. Problem is that there are about $250,000 in liens, fines and berthing fees owed. Hmmm, maybe we should go after him for that :lol:.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Canada's annual seal hunt begins

Hunters armed with spiked clubs and rifles have taken to the ice off Canada's east coast for the country's controversial annual seal hunt, amid claims of depleted stocks and a looming European Union ban. ......

A European Parliament committee ruled earlier this month that the cull, the world's largest marine mammal hunt, was "inherently inhumane"......

Environmentalist quoted in the article:
"In the midst of intense European and Canadian opposition, dwindling markets and low pelt prices, it's apparent the government's insistence on continuing this slaughter is based solely on politics not reason."
Canada's annual seal hunt begins - Telegraph

Something just ain't right about this. Not for six million dollars. Can you imagine the Canadian outrage and bashing of Americans (the people, not the government) if this hunt was being done by the United States?? As it is, I can't even raise this topic and discuss it on a level separate from the moral right or wrong of it without being called a moron. Canada may not consider it a stain on your reputation, but the rest of the global media seems to think it is. And I point that out only to question the 'cost' to Canada of conducting this seal hunt.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Why don't these same people protest the killing of baby sheep, baby cows, baby pigs.

They probably do. But why protest these during seal hunt season?

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The hypocrisy surrounding the animal rights groups and their continued attack against the hunt while other animals are being slaughter by the thousands is sickening and disturbing.
Fact of the matter is the seal population is not in danger as the protesters would like you to believe. The population has exploded over the last 10 years. Does anyone understand the stress this is placing on our struggling cod stocks? Seals are so desperate for food they are swimming up rivers in search of a meal. The protesters in their infinite wisdom are so focused on saving the seals they have lost sight of the bigger picture.
My new mantra: Save a cod, club a protester.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm not trying to be inflammatory but it seems no one knows why Canada would stain it's reputation like this for six million dollars. It''s not a matter of "The US is worse when it does ....." or "people should get over it" or "what about lambs" (my paraphrasing). It gets world wide coverage. My conspiracy theory is that it continues because of electoral votes somehow.

it is partially (and quite correctly, IMHO) the KMA factor.

(Kiss My Arse)

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I'm really enjoying reading that first post, and looking at the accompanying avatar.

Brings a smile to my face.

What does an avatar showing an American hunter having shot a single wolf in the head have to do with the subject of this thread?
Thanks to the 2 or 3 people who are able to stand on their own feet and post on topic in this thread without going into defense/attack mode. I raised a very legitimate question. And nothing to do with the morality of it all.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Environmental group defends Canada's seal hunt
Mar 11, 2009
MONTREAL (AFP) — A Quebec environmental group on Wednesday called on the European Parliament not to ban seal products, saying it would hurt the Gulf of Saint Lawrence ecosystem and local communities.
Nature Quebec, part of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), said in a letter to EU parliamentarians that a proposed ban "could have grave consequences" for residents of the Magdalen Islands and Newfoundland province.
If the 350-year-old seal hunt were stopped now it also would damage the "ecological balance" of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, it said.
The group cites studies which found that the seal population, if unchecked, would boom and threaten North Atlantic cod stocks.
It also notes that the annual cull does not threaten the local seal population, estimated at 5.5 million in 2006.

More here....

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
What does an avatar showing an American hunter having shot a single wolf in the head have to do with the subject of this thread?

Correct me if I'm wrong here; but weren't wolves hunted to near extinction in Yosemite National Park to the point where they had to have some relocated from Alberta? There is no danger of seals suffering this fate under the regulations we have now. People seem to have a need to protest something, they need a cause to justify their existance. And make no mistake there is money in the protests, big money, possibly more than in the hunt itself.

A big chunk of my income was derived from the fur industry at one time, then the Bridgette Bardot's of the world killed that. Beaver pelt prices alone dropped by 80% and the native trappers had to rely on goverment for a living. They say that conditions on native reserves are much like third world countries, that's partly because their livelihood was stripped from them by the goody goody leftards. The fur trade has been going on in this country for over 400 years and has raised the standard of living of the inhabitants steadily since then. The only reason the seal hunt is vilified is because it happens in the open and easily accessable for viewing by those with enough money to do so. You want to see ugliness, visit a chicken farm.

BTW, many of the seals are dispatched with rifles, however when there are a lot of hunters on the ice you don't want a lot of lead flying around. As it is, there is less guarantee of a sure kill with a rifle than there is with a hakapik.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If it's the "poor little babies" thing, do you eat veal? Isn't it more humane to kill swiftly that which stands a good chance of starving slowly if their populations are unchecked? Well we're on about tree huggers and "poor babies" read up on Ontario's spring bear hunt....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Canadians are not allowed to go after baby seals, so Paul McCartney and his photo-op was just that, a photo-op. The reason he did not get himself pictured with an adult seal is that it isn't as "photogenic" as the baby seals.

(Someone mentioned McCartney earlier in the thread, so that is why I brought this up)

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
If it's the "poor little babies" thing, do you eat veal? Isn't it more humane to kill swiftly that which stands a good chance of starving slowly if their populations are unchecked? Well we're on about tree huggers and "poor babies" read up on Ontario's spring bear hunt....

Is the spring bear hunt back or is it still off?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's still off and the bears are getting to be more and more of a problem. They're not scared any more. Maybe they'll move into Toronto. If some Yuppie pees on his Nikes while making a fast escape, the hunt will be on like gangbusters....

Or just send them after some gang-bangers.;-)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Canada continues to receive near universal bad press for conducting their baby seal clubbing harvest. It's possible that it is among the top 5 most reported stories about Canada in the global media (my guess) during a typical year. The US banned the import of the harvest years ago. The EU will have their annual debate on it soon.

"Animal rights group denounce the hunt as cruel. In past years actors and activists including the Dalai Lama, Brigitte Bardot, Paul McCartney, Kim Bassinger and many others, have campaigned against the cull.
Last week, Russia banned the hunting of harp seals less than a year old, after Prime Minister Vladimir Putin criticized the "bloody practice," its natural resources ministry said."

Paul McCartney and Vladmir see eye to eye on this and there is no question it tarnishes Canada's reputation.
In the same article:

"The value of the Canadian seal hunt in 2008 was six million dollars (US), according to the Canadian fisheries department, down from 10 million in 2007 and 27 million in 2006."

Why would Canada put itself through this for six million dollars? What is at stake here? This makes no sense whatsoever. Unless I'm quoting a typeo it makes no sense.
AFP: Canada seeks EU approval for seal hunting code
RH, I'ld take it in the @ss for 6 mil...
Moderator Edit

Shooting or clubbing a couple thousand seal pups is light work in comparison.

Besides, they breed like rabbits that have been to one of Karrie's house party's. Trust me, we ain't running out of them. The bruhaha is all about emotion, cuz they're so darn cute. They taste like ****, slimy greasy b@stards. It's like licking a Puertorican's hair. But that fur, soft, supple and oh so water repelant. Best pair of boots I ever had. If they didn't cost an arm or a leg now, I'ld still be wearing a pair.

Screw the emotional ***holes, they can all go pound salt for I care. Bunch of granola crunching wingnuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: karrie