Something Fishy in Canada. Very Fishy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well at least the edit didn't kill all the humour I was shooting for...lol...

Sorry Ron...I'll wash my hands and eat a bar of Ivory...That might help. I doubt it, but I'll try for ya.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
We may be witnessing the last hunt this year. I expect the IFAW, PETA, Greenpeace and the rest of the self-righteous treehuggers will win out on this one. But keep this in mind. The seal population now stands at about 5.5 million. Once the hunt is banned, expect the numbers to increase dramatically. The ecological unbalance will be so drastic that in 10 years time we will be overrun with seals. They will not only keep the cod stocks down but other species will be at risk as well. If this happens I say we put the people associated with these animal rights groups right where they belong...in the gallows. Feed them only water and seal meat.

Reactions: CDNBear

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I was under the impression that seals were only a small part of lagging fish stocks.

That over fishing, polution and poor management by gov't were the biggest culprit in low fish stocks.

I think the problem most animal rights group have with the seal hunt isn't the killing of the animals, but the perceived inhumane way it's done.

That would be my only problem with it, if it's done in an inhumane way.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Something Fishy in Canada. Very Fishy

Ironically....thinking of the Financial Ecology of the entities like PETA,
Greenpeace, etc....they get a whole lot of mileage out of the Seal Hunt.
With it gone, I can see it dramatically harming their finances without having
the Seal hunt to vilify with their 1970's era footage and selective misinformation.

Oh Well....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I was under the impression that seals were only a small part of lagging fish stocks.

That over fishing, polution and poor management by gov't were the biggest culprit in low fish stocks.

I think the problem most animal rights group have with the seal hunt isn't the killing of the animals, but the perceived inhumane way it's done.

You would be right, they play a small part in the actual consumption of fish. But diseases once only found in Seals, are now being found in fish stocks.

Clubbing went the way of the dino years ago. It's mostly rifle now. Some Inu use clubs still, I think, but they are exempt by Treaty and UN provision.

Anyone caught using a club now, is subject to heavy penalty. As far as I know.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

For the most part - true. Lagging fish stocks will never recover if seal (sea rabbit) populations grow in the exponential manner of which they're capable. I agree ... the hunt is ugly and makes lousy PR. The club (hakapik) is fast and as humane as it gets. Mouse traps and Raid are extremely cruel in comparison ... and we can't sell their pelts or eat the remains....

Last edited:
Reactions: CDNBear

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
"All species of seal generally eat octopus, squid, shellfish, cod, herring, flounder, sculpin, salmon, mackerel, sandeel, shrimp, whelk, and other crustaceans such as krill." quote

Cod is already at an all time low while the seal population continues to increase. This puts significant pressure on the remaining species. Stop the hunt and we're going to see an ecological upset.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What does an avatar showing an American hunter having shot a single wolf in the head have to do with the subject of this thread?
Thanks to the 2 or 3 people who are able to stand on their own feet and post on topic in this thread without going into defense/attack mode. I raised a very legitimate question. And nothing to do with the morality of it all.

I'm not in attack mode, I'm in 'Jeez, but that's funny' mode.

Something about the white fur and the blood, and the obvious satisfaction of the hunter makes me laugh.

What makes that different, is it because the hunter is American, or the fact that it was purely for sport, that makes it somehow better than a commercial hunt of non-white seals by Canadians?

It's funny as hell, and your lack of understanding makes it more so.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I see a number of problems; ending the seal hunt will not stop IFAW, PETA, or whatever group is looking for funding, they will just turn their sights on a different target, as some already have, such as farming, hunting etc. Another problem will be if or when we are overrun by the seal population.

Talking of your selctive outrage, hunting in the UK is a lot different than here, the landowner basically owns whatever game is on his or her land. Hunting sort of went out of fashion and they were overrun by deer. A friend of mine who is a former sniper in Her Majesty's Service was one of many hired to cull the population. These were culls in all sense of the word, none of these deer were used for anything, they were nuisances to be gotten rid of. Where was the international outrage over that I ask? Blimey, what a bunch of two faced bas**rds, Paul McCartney et al.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I remember when Nancy Green won olympic gold at Grenoble.
She was paraded around the coutry wearing original seal skin mucalluks.
What a score for the HBC as every one went right out to buy their own pair.
How the mighty have fallen.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I'm not in attack mode, I'm in 'Jeez, but that's funny' mode.

Something about the white fur and the blood, and the obvious satisfaction of the hunter makes me laugh.

What makes that different, is it because the hunter is American, or the fact that it was purely for sport, that makes it somehow better than a commercial hunt of non-white seals by Canadians?

It's funny as hell, and your lack of understanding makes it more so.

Listen to me. You need to stop giggling for a minute. I can't make it any simpler for you than this:
I don't care if you take your baby seals, stick 'em up your @ss and set fire to the whole configuration of your @ss and the baby seal. I WAS QUESTIONING WHY CANADA THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH 6 MILLION DOLLARS TO CONTINUE WITH THE SEAL HUNT.
Now take a deep breath, avoid eye contact with my avatar, and get a good night's rest.

Moderator Edit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Thanks CdnBear, Lone Wolf, Karrie and Ron in Regina (who I'd like to just call Ron from now on if it's ok with him?) for the info on the Hakapik (wish it had a nicer sounding name though)

I'm glad to know it's humane. I don't like living creatures to suffer needlessly, be they 2 legged, 4 legged, scaled or feathered.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Listen to me. You need to stop giggling for a minute. I can't make it any simpler for you than this:
I don't care if you take your baby seals, stick 'em up your @ss and set fire to the whole configuration of your @ss and the baby seal. I WAS QUESTIONING WHY CANADA THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH 6 MILLION DOLLARS TO CONTINUE WITH THE SEAL HUNT.
Now take a deep breath, avoid eye contact with my avatar, and get a good night's rest.

Moderator Edit.
You need to calm down.

'Canada' is not a *****, and therefore doesn't measure everything by the almighty dollar.

You need to grow up.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Moderator Edit.

To understand the seal hunt in Newfoundland and throughout the Arctic you have to understand the culture and the history there. For hundreds of years this industry has sustained a people who rely on the income from the hunt to augment their annual income. This might not mean much to a ranch hand from Montana or Texas but it means a lot to families who count on this income year after year. The number of animals killed at the annual seal hunt is smaller than the number of animals killed for pelts on European fur farms every week. Go protest that you animal welfare nutbars.

This is not about the $16 million dollars. That's a mere pittance. Chump change. This is bigger than that. Man has upset the balance in the Atlantic region and throughout the Arctic. A man sitting on a dusty ranch in the midwest of America might have a problem understanding the damage that's been done to the oceans in those areas. You turn on your TV set in the evening and you see the latest lunatic from PETA screaming their lungs out about an injustice to the seals in Newfoundland but you're not getting the true story. It's all played up to you by the ****heads to pull at your heartstrings and make you feel empathy for the seal. When in reality the whitecoats have not been hunted in 22 years, the majority of the seals are killed with a bullet (much like the kill in your avatar), the seal population is not endangered at all, in fact they threaten the remaining fish species in the region because of their burgeoning numbers.

I'd suggest you educate yourself a liitle bit on this topic and then we'll talk.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
To understand the seal hunt in Newfoundland and throughout the Arctic you have to understand the culture and the history there. For hundreds of years this industry has sustained a people who rely on the income from the hunt to augment their annual income. This might not mean much to a ranch hand from Montana or Texas but it means a lot to families who count on this income year after year. The number of animals killed at the annual seal hunt is smaller than the number of animals killed for pelts on European fur farms every week. Go protest that you animal welfare nutbars.

This is not about the $16 million dollars. That's a mere pittance. Chump change. This is bigger than that. Man has upset the balance in the Atlantic region and throughout the Arctic. A man sitting on a dusty ranch in the midwest of America might have a problem understanding the damage that's been done to the oceans in those areas. You turn on your TV set in the evening and you see the latest lunatic from PETA screaming their lungs out about an injustice to the seals in Newfoundland but you're not getting the true story. It's all played up to you by the ****heads to pull at your heartstrings and make you feel empathy for the seal. When in reality the whitecoats have not been hunted in 22 years, the majority of the seals are killed with a bullet (much like the kill in your avatar), the seal population is not endangered at all, in fact they threaten the remaining fish species in the region because of their burgeoning numbers.

I'd suggest you educate yourself a liitle bit on this topic and then we'll talk.

I know it's not your point but it's 6 million, not 16 million. It's almost 2/3 less than what you are calling chump change. That's why I questioned the point of the hunt.