Sharia Judge Says It Is OK for Husbands to Slap spendthrift Wives.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sharia may be backed by religion, but it's not religion. It's courts. Legal systems in North America used to allow wife beating too. These Sharia courts may be behind us, but, they're no worse.

You are wrong here, karrie, Sharia is very much part of Islam. Koran and Sharia together constitute Islam.

And you are right, North America and Europe used to permit wife beating. I assume you know the expression ‘rule of thumb’. That refers to the law passed in Britain in the middle ages, which said that a man may not beat his wife with a stick thicker than his thumb. That was of course, based upon the Biblical notion that a wife is husband’s property.

But that really goes back to the point I made in one of my previous posts. Most Christians do not take the Bible literally these days. They are ‘bad’ Christians (if one listens to the Fundamentalists). Same way, Muslims have to learn to be ‘bad’ Muslims for there to be any progress on social issues in the Islamic countries.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We should remember though that there is a wide range of interpretations fo Shari'a just as there are of the Christian Gospels. An islamic judges interpretation is but his alone, though I admit that it will affect all of his followers, just as is the case with a Christian priest or pastor's opinion. But even then, it is still but one person's interpretation. It's a shame that people can't read their Bible of Qur'an for themselves and apply their own understanding to it rather than follow blindly the interpretations of some fundamentalist preacher.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Interestingly enough, we seldom understand the diversity within a religion unless we're part of it ourselves or at least try to look at it through their eyes. For example, a Reform jew, a Liberal Jew, a Conservative Jew, an Orthodox Jew, etc. are not going to understand the Torah the same way. A Protestant, a Catholic, an Orthodox Christian, a Unitarian, etc. don't understand the Gospel the same way either. for example, some Christian groups even reject the Nicene Creed as counter-evangelical, etc.

We find the same within Islam. Some Muslims argue based on certain passages of the Qur'an that a man may not have more than one wife, in spite of the fact that most would argue that he can have up to four wives, using arguments from the same book. Islam is not any more homogeneous as any other religion. They don't all have beards and look like carbon copies of each other. Indonesia is quite Muslim too by the way, and yet quite different in its understanding of Shari'a as Saudis for example.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Curious. Who here has read the Qur'an from cover to cover beside me?

I just bought one from a second hand store a week ago. Haven't started it yet but will probably in the next couple of days. I am intersted to see what it really does say.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think if you collect all of eannasir's posts you could have saved yourself the purchase. lol

There is no need to collect anybody’s writings, Gilbert. Koran is available on line for free. Same with Bible, and Holy Books of most religions, they are available for free online.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
We should remember though that there is a wide range of interpretations fo Shari'a just as there are of the Christian Gospels.

You may be right, machjo, but on this issue I think there is general agreement among Islamic scholars, that Koran permits a man to beat his wife.

Same as there is general agreement that a man may have up to four wives. As you say there are some who say that Koran doesn’t say that, but they are in a distinct minority. The diversity of opinion among Muslims is not as large, as intense as widespread as it is among Christians.

Christians agree on very little when it comes to social issues. There are Christians who say that Bible forbids abortion, there are others who say that it doesn’t (the word abortion is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible). There are some who say Bible forbids gay marriage, there are others who say it doesn’t and so on.

The diversity among Muslims is not that widespread. There may be a few who think that Koran doesn’t give man a permission to eat his wife, or that Koran says that a man is allowed only one wife, but they are in distinct minority.

Indeed, there are liberal voices in Islam. During the gay marriage debate in Canada one Muslim organization (in Canada) came out in support of gay marriage. But as I said, such voices are a small minority (and practically nonexistent in the Islamic countries).