'Serious allegations' against Guergis revealed

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Known drug users have associations of the most noxious and dangerous type-people of that stripe cannot have access to anyone who makes decisions about running the country-Does This Make Sense?

Throw them all under the proverbial bus?

You Betcha!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Harper screwed up majorly in that he didn't wait until the case had run it's course before he discharged her and I imagine she should be able to sue him for blabbing about it to the Whole Wide World.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They used the excuse of allegations to kick here out of the party because he didn't
like her or she was a loose cannon. Before you make to much of it or go after the
man, Mr. Harper, this has gone on in political parties for decades its called house
keeping. Remember they dumped Dief the Chief, Dion got his, and the Waffle
Wing of the NDP in the sixties. God knows I don't care for Harper and have freely
said so however this is not some great conspiracy here by the Tories, if I were in
any party with her, I would look for a way to push that cannon and her husband off
the deck of the ship. This is a mountain being made out of a mole hill.
Who cares if the allegations were true? This is politics you don't have to deal with
truth or fairness, and yes I say this in jest before the self righteous have a hay day
with the above statement.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Known drug users have associations of the most noxious and dangerous type-people of that stripe cannot have access to anyone who makes decisions about running the country-Does This Make Sense?

You Betcha!

What a ludicrous statement. So you're telling me that pot smokers associate with noxious and dangerous people?

Nice Palin-ism to end your diatribe.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
If her husband has been associating with drug traffickers-and he has-then she has a lot of questions to answer-does this make sense?

Here is a question. When he was caught for speeding, he was drunk and they found a small amount of Cocaine on him, he was arrested. In a deal with the Crown, he paid a $500 fine and that was the end of it. Now you tell me, if you were speeding, blew over the limit, and they found Cocaine on you, would you expect to get a $500 fine and that be the end of it?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

You Betcha!

Ugh.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The trouble is her husband associates with anyone there is the biggest loser. I thinks
her choice for a husband in this case says a lot about her judgement. Remember he
is the guy who even had his assistants fake being him for a radio interview in Edmonton
when he was an MP. There is so much crap swirling around him at all times whatever
flies off of him is bound to stick to someone. She is a loose cannon and a liability. If I
were a Conservative or New Democrat or even a Liberal, I would have done the same as
Harper. Whether she is guilty of anything or not is not the issue here, the fact is she and
her husband are high profile wing nuts and sooner or later they will come back to haunt
the party.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The trouble is her husband associates with anyone there is the biggest loser. I thinks
her choice for a husband in this case says a lot about her judgment. Remember he
is the guy who even had his assistants fake being him for a radio interview in Edmonton
when he was an MP. There is so much crap swirling around him at all times whatever
flies off of him is bound to stick to someone. She is a loose cannon and a liability. If I
were a Conservative or New Democrat or even a Liberal, I would have done the same as
Harper. Whether she is guilty of anything or not is not the issue here, the fact is she and
her husband are high profile wing nuts and sooner or later they will come back to haunt
the party.

First off, we should never blame a person for the actions of their spouse. A person could be hoodwinked by their spouse. It happens all the time with many foreign nationals.

Now though I know little of Guergis to be honest, it still doesn't change the fact that had Harper had any sense of human respect, he would have at least turfed here discreetly. All the party should have told us is that she is no longer a member of the party, the reason being none of our business. Should the RCMP decide to reveal more info, or Guergis herself, that would have then been their business. The way Harper did it does reveal something of his sense of respect for other human beings.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Prime Minister threw this woman under the bus as she put it because she was only
good for traction.

Whether the party turfs her or not is the party's business of course, but as such Harper did not need to plaster it over the news beyond she's no longer a cabinet minister.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As I said in another thread what Harper has done to this woman is reprehensible and in about one day more opinion of Harper dropped from moderate contempt to absolute disgust. No doubt he can be responsible in running a well managed economy but I would have a hard time voting for anyone who would deliberately harm their fellow human being. Until this came down there was little doubt I was going to vote for the Conservative Candidate, but now I'm seriously considering looking at Tallyman Jack. Right now I'm confused.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
As I said in another thread what Harper has done to this woman is reprehensible and in about one day more opinion of Harper dropped from moderate contempt to absolute disgust. No doubt he can be responsible in running a well managed economy but I would have a hard time voting for anyone who would deliberately harm their fellow human being. Until this came down there was little doubt I was going to vote for the Conservative Candidate, but now I'm seriously considering looking at Tallyman Jack. Right now I'm confused.

He turfed her for allegations of misbehaviour, but he didn't turf Oda for altering a document and lying about it.

Vote conservative if you love our country!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He turfed her for allegations of misbehaviour, but he didn't turf Oda for altering a document and lying about it.

Vote conservative if you love our country!

I never did follow that episode with Oda (they all f*****g lie) Maybe he didn't because he didn't want someone screaming "racial discrimination"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I never did follow that episode with Oda (they all f*****g lie) Maybe he didn't because he didn't want someone screaming "racial discrimination"
No because an election was coming up. It would mean a loss of a sure seat.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No because an election was coming up. It would mean a loss of a sure seat.
A hugely significant factor I'm sure. But it also seems to me that Harper would never censure and/or "turf" anyone when the opposition was calling for it. It would be later, on his terms. At least that's how I read the whole Geurgis debacle.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Depends. How did your local Conservative candidate respond to harper's behaviour? There may be the odd Conservative candidate out there still worth voting for. It just means you want to know him better before you vote for him though.

In my own riding of Ottawa-Orleans, I'm leaning Paul Maillet, but again not all Greens might be worth voting for either.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
At least you are voting.

I'd almost voted Maillet last election but was a little hard on him and so handed in a blank ballot. This time I probably will vote for him. Regardless of the Green party's hippy reputation, he's actually quite sound. Years of experience as an airforce engineer, so more likely to have an understanding of military matters than most. I've read some of his articles on foreign relations, and he clearly has a respect for the rule of law at home and abroad, including on military matters. By no means a maverick. Very conservative and down to earth, with sound ideas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If the Greens find more people like that with some proper background to bck them in the political arena, they might start gaining some credibility.