Rights Group Calls for Cheney Arrest-in Vancouver

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The point of the protest is to remind people that Cheney authorized torture. No they won't bring Cheney to justice... but they made the news.

BTW, Gitmo still exists. Who knows how many American black sites exist or how many people Americans have abducted over the years...
Black site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheney also was a primary force behind the US starting an unprovoked American war of aggression against the Iraqi people, which has made Cheney and others around him in the oil industry much wealthier. Many people still believe the US found evidence of WMDs and links to 9/11. So far this war which continues to drag down the US financially has resulted in hundreds of thousands of violent deaths and made millions of people homeless refugees.

I support holding people accountable for their actions...

'Guantanamo files': Dozens held were innocent - Americas - Al Jazeera English

My point isn't that everyone in Gitmo and US Black sites should be set free. My point is this jail system is illegal, unjust and unfair. Americans should have higher standards. Based on current trends, its only a matter of time until Chinese leaders can visit the US and legitimately give the President a lecture on Human Rights...
Remember Tianamien,is no longer a call for civil rights I gather.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A US Human Rights Group wants Canada to arrest Cheney?...

ON what grounds should they arrest him? The legal invation of Iraq? That was not done in Canadian space and so Canada would be outside its jurisdicitonal mandate to do such a thing. What this group is doing is akin to a Rights group in New York State proposing that the NYPD arrest someone for an alleged crime he'd committed in California and which even the state of California has not put out a warrant for. Now if that group should propose the Federal government arrest him for having violated a Federal law, that would be another matter.

Sounds like this Rights group in Vancouver does not understand jurisdicitonal boundaries. If it could get a warrant from the International Court of Justice, that might be a different matter. But until that happens, Canada has no authority to arrest him, and rightfully so.

I'd be highly offended if the US police decided to arrest a Canadian for alleged crimes comitted outside the US without the proper authorization from the Canadian government (in which case he'd be arrested for the sole purpose of extraditing him to Canada) or the ICJ, so as to turn him over to that court.

The way we expect the US to treat Canadians is how we should treat US citizens.

Correction, it wound't be the ICJ but the ICC (International Criminal Court).

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
On a related note, I think Canada should stand up for US citizens who travel to Cuba from Canada on the grounds that since the act was committed in or from Canada, that US laws therefore do not apply to Canada. Likewise any person residing in Canada should not be required by his government to file tax forms with his government for the years he'd been residing in Canada. Also, Canada should not try and prosecute anyone, Canadian or otherwise, who should be accused of pedophilia abroad. Instead, we should turn him over to the jurisdiction in which the alleged crime occurred. And of course Canadians living abroad should not have to file Canadian taxes either.

The whole point is respect for jurisdicional boundaries. And if the current government is so strong on respect for national boundaries, it should take the lead in making it clear to other countries that Canadians abroad are not subject to Canadian laws and that foreigners in Canada are subject to Canadian laws only.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The point of the protest is to remind people that Cheney authorized torture. No they won't bring Cheney to justice... but they made the news.

BTW, Gitmo still exists. Who knows how many American black sites exist or how many people Americans have abducted over the years...

Cheney also was a primary force behind the US starting an unprovoked American war of aggression against the Iraqi people, which has made Cheney and others around him in the oil industry much wealthier. Many people still believe the US found evidence of WMDs and links to 9/11. So far this war which continues to drag down the US financially has resulted in hundreds of thousands of violent deaths and made millions of people homeless refugees.

'Guantanamo files': Dozens held were innocent - Americas - Al Jazeera English

My point isn't that everyone in Gitmo and US Black sites should be set free. My point is this jail system is illegal, unjust and unfair. Americans should have higher standards. Based on current trends, its only a matter of time until Chinese leaders can visit the US and legitimately give the President a lecture on Human Rights...

You must still be getting your"facts" from an alternate to news source. The US did not start an illegal war of aggression against the Iraqi people. They went to help free the Iraqi citizens from a corrupt and oppressive government.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You must still be getting your"facts" from an alternate to news source. The US did not start an illegal war of aggression against the Iraqi people. They went to help free the Iraqi citizens from a corrupt and oppressive government.

It seems like you and I are the only ones (besides Iraqi citizens) that understand that. I know everyone blames Bush, but if they'd been paying attention to the news they'd know there was a couple of insurgents responsible too. :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

So why didn't they just say that instead of making stuff up about WMDs?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Because they did not go into Iraq to depose a dictator. All the official reasons were pure BS. Just look to who is really benefiting financially from this war and you will see the real reasons.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Very simple, they knew based on Saddam's past shenanigans (blowing up Kuwait and gassing the Kurds) that W.M.D.s were a distinct possibility and it's much safer to act on that assumption than to be caught with one's pants down. Not rocket science!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
On a related note, I think Canada should stand up for US citizens who travel to Cuba from Canada on the grounds that since the act was committed in or from Canada, that US laws therefore do not apply to Canada. Likewise any person residing in Canada should not be required by his government to file tax forms with his government for the years he'd been residing in Canada. Also, Canada should not try and prosecute anyone, Canadian or otherwise, who should be accused of pedophilia abroad. Instead, we should turn him over to the jurisdiction in which the alleged crime occurred. And of course Canadians living abroad should not have to file Canadian taxes either.

The whole point is respect for jurisdicional boundaries. And if the current government is so strong on respect for national boundaries, it should take the lead in making it clear to other countries that Canadians abroad are not subject to Canadian laws and that foreigners in Canada are subject to Canadian laws only.

I disagree. It is not the business of the Canadian gov't to comment on the regulations and restrictions another country places on its own citizens. It is also none of our business what demands another country places on its citizens with regards to taxation, even if those citizens reside within Canada. The only way I could agree with the intervention of the Canadian gov't is if the individuals traveling or being told to file tax returns are dual citizens possessing Canadian as well as the other country's passport, be it the US, UK, India, Lebanon or anyone else.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

They made the news? OB posted it on CanCon. I would not have heard about it except for the thread.

What is new about fringe lefties calling for the arrest of Bush and Cheney?

Arrest Biden! Everyone know Biden is calling all the shots!

Isn't what I said absolutely absurd?

yaaaaaawn

Al Jezeera...lol

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I disagree. It is not the business of the Canadian gov't to comment on the regulations and restrictions another country places on its own citizens. It is also none of our business what demands another country places on its citizens with regards to taxation, even if those citizens reside within Canada. The only way I could agree with the intervention of the Canadian gov't is if the individuals traveling or being told to file tax returns are dual citizens possessing Canadian as well as the other country's passport, be it the US, UK, India, Lebanon or anyone else.

My understanding is that dual citizens are caught up in this. Never paid that much attention though . Now if they are American citizens living in Canada they must file US income tax same as Canadians living abroad must file Canadian income tax. Basically if you are allowed to vote in a country then you pay taxes there.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Yes indeed, the loud and stupid will protest, and it will accomplish absolutely NOTHING as usual.

I never cease to be amazed at the proportion of people that would much rather be a live coward, then ever stand up for anything that MIGHT be dangerous to themselves. And how frequently those "live cowards' will attack anyone that does take a stand, and actually does something to defend their country or their society.

Hate to tell the uneducated in Canada, but the Vice President in the US has absolutely no power to do ANYTHING John Nance Garner, a former Vice President, gave that job the perfect description. "It's about as useful as a pitcher of warm spit!"

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Where were all these people when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad spoke at the UN or when he spoke at Columbia?

I guess hanging gays doesn't count?

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Oh and tax slave, no US citizens are NOT obliged to always pay taxes to the USA, when they live in other countries. It is only when one or more of several conditions are met that this would be required:

1. A portion of your income was actually earned in the USA.

2. A portion of your overseas (including Canada) income was not taxed by the host country.

3. You continue to claim residency in the USA, in order to be able to vote in local and state elections, then a portion of your income earned abroad MAY be subject to taxes in the USA.

Instead of depending on the headlines, you really ought to look into matters such as these, before voicing your opinions.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Yawn, some Toronto group wanted the cops to arrest GWB while he was in the city a couple nights back. Seriously, these people need to get a facking job or something.

Seems that he was the architect of the torture effort. He was the power behind the bush efforts. Silently pulling strings that many failed to see.

What is truly interesting is just how lawless the US has become in its attitude and conduct. Mind you......it all depends on who breaks the law and how it is treated. No such thing a fair and just rule that treats all equally.

By scoffing at this call for arrest........folks are just admitting to their own lawlessness and complete support of barbarism of torture. & other dastardly behaviors/ er policies that have devolved in america over the past decade.

No surprise there.~~ bizarre as it is.

Why doesn't he go and peddle his book in Europe or the Middle East. We just might see the real reception this twit would get.

What about Mexico and South America?? AFter all , there is a "legacy" involved here.

There are some authors and books , that you could not pay me enough to see or buy. He is one of them.

There are principles that simply cannot be shaken. Being against human and animal torture/brutality is one of them.(regardless of who does it or supports it )

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OB - Have you ever considered that other world leaders have committed crimes. Such as Chinese - Russian? or is this just a Hate the US fest that drives you.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Old Medic: an aside: but why not concern yourself with the "UNEDUCATED" ( which is rapidly increasing in numbers8O8O ) in the US :-( as from what one can see and hear .........that too is reaching crisis levels.

.......but I digress.:roll:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Old Medic: an aside: but why not concern yourself with the "UNEDUCATED" ( which is rapidly increasing in numbers8O8O ) in the US :-( as from what one can see and hear .........that too is reaching crisis levels.

.......but I digress.:roll:

How about regressing and answering my questions?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
OB - Have you ever considered that other world leaders have committed crimes. Such as Chinese - Russian? or is this just a Hate the US fest that drives you.

Is that what you use as an excuse for the US to commit crimes of humanity too?? And no need to play the "everyone hates us " card of self pity and victimhood. The last thing the US is ....is a victim. But it does its share of victimization. That is the reality of that one.

One does not have to hate the US to see its major and many flaws. Or is that too complex a concept for comprehension here??

What a joke.......now you are comparing the US to Russian and China........both of which have long histories of human abuse and torture.

How low have you sunk..

How about regressing and answering my questions?

I just did. grow up and learn a little patience. Seems you suffer from that instant gratification syndrome that is killing the US