RCMP attempt damage control in wake of B.C. video

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
DG
If we thru every Cop in jail that screw up - Disciplined by some Police Forces is indeed a joke - and yes some convicted under the Criminal Code as well. How many would we have?

Not all should be in jail. And this one does not rate jail or losing his job if convicted.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Goober- if not losing his job he should definitely be suspended without pay for a considerable period. Law abiding people have to be able to feel that the cop is their friend and I'll bet there's not 10 people in Kelowna who have that confidence. Cops have to be able to remain calm in tough situations. I think 30 days in the slammer would be a good lesson for him.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Still waiting for the BCPP to return to British Columbia.

Always the case they bring in a bunch of Newfies, rural Albertans, rural Ontarians and other rift-raft, most of these coppers abuse steroids and are always punching people up.

Hell just like the original BCPP I would up for British Policemen coming here, they're trained to uphold the law not bully people into submission (not even allowed to have guns).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And meanwhile he is running around with at least one gun - How about if it turned out to be a wacko and God knows we have enough and kills someone.

Then the Police would be hammered to death - you know it, i know it and the Police involved in this lolly-gagging would face severe discipline.

You do not respond to a man firing off a weapon like a stroll in the park

Don't matter Goober, he was in his truck when the cop spotted him- the cop could have followed him at a discreet distance while calling for back up. As long as he's in his truck he's not going to shoot anyone. Apparently the shots he was reported to have fired were on the golf course, where he had worked for years firing shots.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Probe calls for Mountie charge | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
VANCOUVER -- Abbotsford, B.C., police are recommending an assault charge against the Kelowna, B.C., Mountie after a man was seen on tape being kicked during an arrest earlier this month.

Less than an hour before a protest was scheduled in a Kelowna park Sunday afternoon calling for RCMP Const. Geoff Mantler to be charged and fired, Abbotsford police announced they would recommend an assault causing bodily harm charge.

On Jan. 7, a Mountie was caught on tape kicking Buddy Tavares, 51, while arresting him near the golf course where he works.

Kelowna RCMP had been called to the area after receiving reports of a man with a gun.

A local reporter at the scene caught the arrest on tape. The video shows a Mountie kicking Tavares, who was on his knees, in the face.

The RCMP later said Tavares’ arrest was related to domestic abuse. However, he was never charged with such an offence, only with careless use of a firearm.

Mantler was relegated to deskwork and later suspended with pay, while Abbotsford police investigated the incident, speaking to more than 40 witnesses.

According to video posted on Facebook, about 200 protesters gathered at Kelowna City Park Sunday, brandishing signs and voicing outrage at police brutality.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Don't matter Goober, he was in his truck when the cop spotted him- the cop could have followed him at a discreet distance while calling for back up. As long as he's in his truck he's not going to shoot anyone. Apparently the shots he was reported to have fired were on the golf course, where he had worked for years firing shots.

How do you know when a person will shoot or where they will shoot from?
Impossible, does not make sense.
As to the information the police have - it is constantly updated -We do not have that sequence of information. when it was relayed, wheter it was factual. Now do we?

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Why do you have to wait? If he decided to kick his teeth in in miliseconds then the excuse shouldn't take any longer to produce either should it?
I'm waiting until the full story comes out rather than rushing to judgment because there's always two sides to every story.

How would you have reacted if you were in this officer's position? Remember your responding to a gun call with shots fired being reported, how would you have honestly reacted?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Are you saying we have police officers who are so incompetent that can't obey the laws
they are entrusted to enforce? Yes if we have officers that are committing criminal acts
they should be jailed and booted out of the force whatever force they belong to. We are
paying for law enforcement, not thuggery. I am sick and tired of officers caught drinking
and driving, or getting into accidents and then a long period of suspension with pay and
of course charged reprimanded, oh they may lose their licence for a year but who cares.
they are still on the force. NO, if you commit a criminal act you should be charged run
through the system fired and thrown into prison like any other criminal, because people
who commit criminal acts and are found guilty, are criminals and belong in jail.
We pay bloody good money for officers to protect and serve as it were, I know its and
American term, but it is true none the less.
Criminals are criminals and we don't need criminals in uniform and yes we should fire them,
Good God the people entrusted with upholding the law, should not be granted any more
rights that we the citizens have.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Are you saying we have police officers who are so incompetent that can't obey the laws
they are entrusted to enforce? Yes if we have officers that are committing criminal acts
they should be jailed and booted out of the force whatever force they belong to. We are
paying for law enforcement, not thuggery. I am sick and tired of officers caught drinking
and driving, or getting into accidents and then a long period of suspension with pay and
of course charged reprimanded, oh they may lose their licence for a year but who cares.
they are still on the force. NO, if you commit a criminal act you should be charged run
through the system fired and thrown into prison like any other criminal, because people
who commit criminal acts and are found guilty, are criminals and belong in jail.
We pay bloody good money for officers to protect and serve as it were, I know its and
American term, but it is true none the less.
Criminals are criminals and we don't need criminals in uniform and yes we should fire them,
Good God the people entrusted with upholding the law, should not be granted any more
rights that we the citizens have.

DG

I take it that you are a well educated man. I take this from your posts and insight.

Police Officers at times are convicted for example of assault - normally the sentence is, community service, educational course and the record is wiped clean, no record if all of the Judges terms are met. i am quite surprised that a man of your breadth of knowledge is unaware of this. I realize many Canadians are but those are the facts as they lay.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There are some real pukes posting here-you know who you are.

Real pukes, really??????????? I think there are some posters who tend to be "Smart Alecs" and some who jump to conclusions and a couple who are rude, but basically I'm interested in all opinions that are sincere. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Goober I do know about that, however those who uphold the law know better than to act in
such a manner. I noticed you mentioned you don't know when someone is going to shoot.
In this case, the man had his hands up and he was complying with the officers on the scene.
Unfortunately people in this Province are fed up, we have seen people being beaten up and
arrested for no reason. Some have tried to explain they have a permit, and still they were
tasered. That happened in Kelowna as well, he was parked on a street with a permit while
his wife took the papers into the establishment. He was told to move and before he could
explain he was tasered and arrested. The result, well everyone was sorry.
There is a case of the poor guy at Vancouver Airport got himself killed for no reason it was
police out of control. To make matters worse, the cop who was most aggressive, was the
same cop that later was involved in a hit and run I think it was in Surrey. Like Priests, these
cops are reprimanded and moved around. What about the police officer that was at a gathering
at the cop shop drinking and later became involved in an auto accident.
There was the self defence case where a man was shot in a cell in the back of the head.
No one I know of believes that is what happened.
Today I understand, that even a retired police officer was there at the demonstration. I am not
saying we should get rid of the RCMP or go about on a series of medieval witch hunts, I am
however saying we need to expect the police to obey the laws they enforce and if they can't
they should be booted out, in the case of Assault charges against a police officer, they should
be punished to the fullest extent of the law, and why because they are the aware of the law
or should be. The public is demanding, that we address the legal system and ensure the
punishment fits the crime, no exceptions, and that includes policemen. I would agree Goober
if the guy was resisting arrest or trying to escape or attempting to take a hostage, then kick
the hell out of him. but this is not one of those cases.
What also troubles me is who made the initial phone call. I don't believe there was ever a threat
of domestic violence but I have wondered about one other thing and think about this for a second.
In summer, many people get really angry when the Cherry Cannons are fired starting at 5am and
going on most of the day. I know there are people who hate the shotguns going off on the golf
courses in the early hours of the morning too. The geese make a hell of a mess of the greens
and I can understand why the operators would like to have even unofficial shooting in winter.
See the snow falls and melts all year here and as soon as the snow is gone, golfing starts in
early March some years. What if one of those neighbours called and reported that there was a
problem at the golf course? Someone, made that phone call and reported there was a potential
violent crime taking place or they knew there was no such crime taking place they wanted the
shooting to stop. If that is the case, it would be a false police report and that person should be
punished as well or more severely. In that case and depending on what originated the complaint
I would be willing to take a second look at what the outcome should be. but for no other reason.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
The Abbotsford police have recommended assault charges against the RCMP officer. if this sort of violent arrest was deemed acceptable the next time you're pulled over for speeding the cop may just reach through the window and punch you in the nose because you did not get your insurance out fast enough.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How would you have reacted if you were in this officer's position? Remember your responding to a gun call with shots fired being reported, how would you have honestly reacted?

A soccer kick to the head, of a man on his hands and knees isn't at the top of the list, especially when my gun is already drawn, and there is another officer on the scene.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm waiting until the full story comes out rather than rushing to judgment because there's always two sides to every story.

First of all you'd try to find out who you are dealing with (in this case you'd probably quickly find out), next you'd check on his history, third you'd keep him in sight from a distance. "Shots being fired" are not usually a rare or necessarily dangerous event. Every time you encounter a stranger I suppose there is an outside ( one in a million) chance he/she'll harm you, but you don't start out kicking them in the face, just in case..............:lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Where did I say that? :smile:

It's tough trying to read between the lines because you seem to switch directions at will.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/98011-too-many-cops-leave-pay-2.html

Post #92 seems to be a backtrack. Let's get your position straight N'Kay.

A cop allegedly commits a crime and you don't believe he should be allowed to continue on working normally until convicted. Is that right?

If so, he either needs to be placed on administrative duty (sits in the office and does paper work), gets suspended with pay or gets suspended without pay (essentially convicted without due process). Which option do you prefer?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's tough trying to read between the lines because you seem to switch directions at will.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/98011-too-many-cops-leave-pay-2.html

Post #92 seems to be a backtrack. Let's get your position straight N'Kay.

A cop allegedly commits a crime and you don't believe he should be allowed to continue on working normally until convicted. Is that right?

If so, he either needs to be placed on administrative duty (sits in the office and does paper work), gets suspended with pay or gets suspended without pay (essentially convicted without due process). Which option do you prefer?

I think I made it clear that I amended the O.P. as I had omitted to add an important point. My position is not difficult to put straight. He can not carry on "working normally" after he's done something that removes public trust. The integrity of the R.C.M.P. has to be beyond doubt. I personally doubt if he can continue working in any capacity and be efficient at the wage he was being paid to enforce the law. Clerk's pay is a far cry from a constable's pay. I personally have no sympathy for the prick. His victim spent a weekend in jail, while this bozo is on full pay. It's sickening.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think I made it clear that I amended the O.P. as I had omitted to add an important point. My position is not difficult to put straight. He can not carry on "working normally" after he's done something that removes public trust. The integrity of the R.C.M.P. has to be beyond doubt. I personally doubt if he can continue working in any capacity and be efficient at the wage he was being paid to enforce the law. Clerk's pay is a far cry from a constable's pay. I personally have no sympathy for the prick. His victim spent a weekend in jail, while this bozo is on full pay. It's sickening.

So you are in favor of suspension without pay and without due process. I get it now.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You're half right, I have no problem with due process which is happening as we speak. :smile:

Removing somebody from their livelihood over unproven allegations is not due process. You do not believe in due process. If you did, you would have no problem with the way this situation is being dealt with.