Quit picking on the Shiny Pony

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: More shiny ponyness

That's funny.

It speaks to corruption of MP's. How would they vote on a bill that affects a charity or company that has paid them huge fees for speaking.
Aside from that. Is that what MP's are supposed to do.
There are a few MP's that make money charging fees. And the Senate is corrupt- Yes- So is the Commons.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

And that is why I don't and won't ever trust any of them. Once upon a time there were MPs who were in politics not for themselves but for the people they represent. Those days are long gone.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

And that is why I don't and won't ever trust any of them. Once upon a time there were MPs who were in politics not for themselves but for the people they represent. Those days are long gone.

Well they will hang him on this one for sure, as they rightly should.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Blame the piss poor turnout for the fundraiser on the person they hired? Is that within the bounds of reality? Would people have shown up if it were a Con MP or a NDP MP? Why did they choose an MP? For $20K they could have gotten a known band to perform.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc

To start with the ethics commissioner says there is no conflict end of story
Not quite society wants their money back as the didn't make any money on
the event. Ain't gonna happen. No one would expect a band to fork over
the money paid for an event that didn't succeed so why should he have to?
I am not a Liberal and I wouldn't vote for him but this is just nonsense and
not true that he is doing anything wrong.
All this throwing up balloons of preceived evil and wrong doing surely they
are running out of jello to throw at the wall and none of it sticks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

All this throwing up balloons of perceived evil and wrong doing surely they are running out of jello to throw at the wall and none of it sticks.
Just another post to keep Spastics happy during the criminal investigation of the PM and the PMO.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Do you think what he did is right?

he did nothing wrong. There were no laws broken and no ethics problem. So why should he be "hung out to dry" for doing nothing wrong?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

he did nothing wrong. There were no laws broken and no ethics problem. So why should he be "hung out to dry" for doing nothing wrong?

Not what I asked. I asked a clear question.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Let me clarify.
Do you think what he did is morally right as an elected MP?

Yes, I, like the ethics commissioner see no problem with What he was doing. Please note, he decided to stop doing the engagements after he became leader of the LoP so that the petty twits would get off his back about it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Yes, I, like the ethics commissioner see no problem with What he was doing. Please note, he decided to stop doing the engagements after he became leader of the LoP so that the petty twits would get off his back about it.
MP's should not be profiting from speaking engagements as an elected member of Parliament.

The Ethics Commissioner ruling is based upon present rules and precedents. Just because he was cleared by the Commissioner does not make it right. That is my opinion.
And this will not sell well with the Canadian Public.
Agree or disagree?

As I mentioned, both Houses are littered with corruption. Do you disagree or agree?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

nb. obviously there are still those with limited mental capacities that buy into the cons propaganda every time it's trotted out.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

nb. obviously there are still those with limited mental capacities that buy into the cons propaganda every time it's trotted out.

Nope- I disagreed with his speaking fees when it became public.
Do you think this suddenly arrived as my opinion?
As to the Cons, Justin will welcome the return to Caucus of the Senator that is now up to approx 1/4 of a million of false claims.
On condition he pays it back.
What is nb?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

As to the Cons, Justin will welcome the return to Caucus of the Senator that is now up to approx 1/4 of a million of false claims.
On condition he pays it back.

Wrong, try again. This time without the con spin.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Wrong, try again. This time without the con spin.

Nope- Not a Con- have not voted Con for the last 2 elections. I voted for Iggy in the last one. Lizzie in the one before that.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Charity asks Justin Trudeau to return speaking fee after event bombs

OTTAWA - An East Coast charity has asked Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau to return a $20,000 fee he was paid to speak at an event in 2012 that flopped.

Grace Foundation in Port City, N.B., needed $300,000 to furnish two local retirement homes. A bake sale wouldn't raise that kind of money, so the charity took a chance and decided on a speaker-led fundraiser.

Trudeau, they believed, would draw the crowd they'd need.

As it turned out, he didn't. And now Grace Foundation wants a refund.

It sent a letter to Trudeau's booking agency.

"The fundraising event we hired you for as a speaker was a huge disappointment and a financial loss for our organization," board member Susan Buck wrote. "A refund of the fees charged would meet our needs and would provide a positive public impression."
But speaking fees aren't generally returned just because the event isn't a success.

Trudeau's office said the fee was negotiated as part of a contract. The $20,000 covered Trudeau's travel and accommodation expenses as well as his fee for the speech.

It is unclear whether Trudeau intends to repay the charity, but regardless, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney seized on the episode to attack Trudeau's judgment.

"He was getting paid $160,000 as an MP, but he went and took a $20,000 cheque from a group of seniors," Kenney said. "Mr. Speaker, I'd like to know how many members here go to charity events where they give money...that's what most Canadians do."

Sun News : Charity asks Justin Trudeau to return speaking fee after event bombs

Oh heck, its New Brunswick. Spend 20,000.00 on floor poles, 'exotic dancers', he males, she males,. Throw in a beastiality act & you can raise enough funds to build the Taj Mahal.

Nobody asks my advise.....