Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Another issue with this result to consider is this....

I do not think it's okay to hit my husband. But that doesn't mean I haven't done it. Mostly in jest, once in a fit of rage.

Colpy has a bit of a point in that when I threw a fit, grabbed my husband, and shoved him against the wall trying to threaten him and drive my point home... he burst into laughter. It's just not the same threat level coming from 5'2" me as it would be coming from him. But, that doesn't mean had I decided I really wanted to hurt him, I couldn't have found a way, and plenty of women do all the time.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yeah right, released at, and presumably commissioned by, the Alberta Council of Women's Shelters... Think they might have an agenda? Both that news report and the pdf document linked to clearly show an implicit assumption that all domestic violence is done by men. It's not. Long term study by the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire has found that men are just as likely to be victims of domestic violence as women, women and men are the instigators of violence about a quarter of the time each, half the time it's mutual brawling, unclear who struck the first blow, and domestic violence occurs in only 3 to 4 percent of families. Those are admittedly American results, but given the cultural similarities it's hard to argue that things would be much different here.

Wish I could give a link to the source I'm citing there, it used to be at urbanlegends.com but it's been archived and is no longer available online, though I did find a listing for it in an archive. It's item 5 on the list at this page: tafkac.org

Now I don't have to say it. So I'll go on to the next item:

This data is completely useless without having the same opinions from women. You can't analyse a gender in a vacuum. There is a rather famous study about latent bias in hiring practices against women in academia and one of their big conclusions was that women were just as likely to discriminate against women as men were. So in all likelihood 1 in 10 women believe that it is acceptable for a man to physically assault a woman after she admits to having sex with another man.

The whole provocative clothing is a huge mistake of interpretation. Do I think I am more likely to be raped if I put on a costume to make myself look like a fairy (literally a fairy)? Yes. That is to say, I believe that I increase my own chances of being raped by wearing provocative clothing. The actual issue of interest is if it justifies it. No. As it is they are merely asking if people believe that part of the reason why men rape women is because of sexual attraction.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:naka:eek:ne in ten can't control their anger!! ?

Not much of a surprise

It's been going on for eons.............(that's a long time eh)

I feel sorry for the gals that have a violent dickhead in their life.

Just leave, ladies, they aren't really all the same no matter what you're told.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Is this part of Alberta's "conservative" values???

And here we so wrongly thought that Alberta was rather progressive .......:-(

Not that I put a lot of credence in this particular study, but.... did you notice the part where it states that no other province has bothered to do similar studies/polls? So, you're comparing it to.... nothing... and deciding that you can infer something based on it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Not that I put a lot of credence in this particular study, but.... did you notice the part where it states that no other province has bothered to do similar studies/polls? So, you're comparing it to.... nothing... and deciding that you can infer something based on it.

Haven't you noticed? That's OB's modus operendi. lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Although I agree with DS on that, and I acknowledge that female violence is also a problem....I think men are MUCH better equipped to defend themselves.....(although then they go to jail, and are added to the domestic violence statistics as the instigator)

I absolutely agree. To a point. Yes most men could certainly physically overpower a woman, no question. But personally I think people tend to mitigate what kind of psychological hold an abuser has over his or her victim. That can go a long way to evening out the playing field, in my opinion.

Personally I think that's why the question about whether an abused woman could leave the relationship if she really wanted to was nearly 50/50 as to whether the respondents agreed with that statement. And I've heard plenty of woman say the same type of thing over the years.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
How about we do our own poll on here ??

Those that approve of violence against women

Those that don't.

Seems that this is a black and white situation.

My vote: Totally against it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How about we acknowledge that if 'some Alberta men believe it's okay' then it stands to reason that some do not. In fact, looking at the actual numbers I'd go so far as to say that most do not think it's okay. Could the numbers be better? Absolutely. 100% would be stellar but that's never going to happen, not in Alberta and not anywhere because there will always be a certain percentage of idiots who think they have a right to control other people. And that goes for women too, I've met plenty of domineering controlling abusive women before.

The whole point of this survey was not to disparage males in Alberta or anywhere, it was to keep a spotlight on the fact that it does happen and that we need to ensure we continue to raise our sons and daughters to be mindful of that. And while we may yet still have a ways to go, we've come a hell of a long way. It's about awareness, not blame.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, you just stated that it stands to reason that it would happen.... no, it does NOT stand to reason. Like I said, it's called self control, and any man that can NOT control himself, well, he ain't much a fuc king man.

I am surprised that you would contend that women who weigh 600 lbs and dress like lumberjacks are as frequently victims of rape as women who wear nothing but underwear and wiggle their body parts in public.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I am surprised that you would contend that women who weigh 600 lbs and dress like lumberjacks are as frequently victims of rape as women who wear nothing but underwear and wiggle their body parts in public.

I'm surprised that I would contend that too. Obviously you know me better than I do. What else do I contend?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How about we do our own poll on here ??

Those that approve of violence against women

Those that don't.

Seems that this is a black and white situation.

My vote: Totally against it.

I personally don't participate in sexist polls.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Imagine one of these scenarios. First, you're at a nice restaurant, across the way you can see a table with a man and a woman deeply engaged in conversation, and suddenly you see the woman slap the man across the face. What do you think happened? Second, reverse it, you see the man smack the woman in the face. What do you think happened? And what does it mean if your answers are different in each case?

he has a red face where he was smacked, she has a black eye, and swollen face.

The difference in the force of the smacks.

Same scenario if she punches him, or he punches her, her injury will be much more serious.

this is not a 225lb woman, and a 125lb man, 'but the rule', which make the man bigger and much stronger.

I believe 'the rule would be', that the woman becomes angry and fearful when she strikes out, but the man
is just angry when he strikes out.

it is not something women have grown up doing, little girls don't wrestle and play fight, or fight in
anger physically, it isn't part of their nature.

One can watch a group of little girls staring at boys when they are 'either fighting in anger', or all tangled
up wrestling and play fighting, and they are pretty put off by the sight, can't undersand why the
boys would want to do that.

A man striking a woman is a very scary situation.

I know there are exceptions, I'm speaking of the rule.

So, no I don't think the two situations resemble each other at all.