Poll: Most Canadians don't care about upcoming royal wedding

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
it cost us billions to host the olympics, against the better judgement of millions of canadians, doesn't
matter, governments will go ahead with whatever they decide, irrespective of what canadians want.
I like the commonwealth games, keeps us remembering who we were and who we are,
and the connection with the british empire is a good thing in my opinion.

The Olympics, as you may have already forgotten, were a roaring success. Even I was lukewarm about them, then I was very glad we put them on in Vancouver. There are disagreements but we don't live in a dictatorship like some Commonwealth so many countries are.

People here say they like Harry, Harry makes few visits to Canada. He doesn't seem to like us much, despite fawning supporters.

You say you like the CW Games, did you watch much of them? I would guess you watched more of the Olympics, and talked about them more. The CW Games were fine in their day, but like the empire, it lacks relevence. The Olympics have shown we want to compete with the best now because we can win. Why waste spending millions of dollars to beat third world athletes?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The Olympics, as you may have already forgotten, were a roaring success. Even I was lukewarm about them, then I was very glad we put them on in Vancouver. There are disagreements but we don't live in a dictatorship like some Commonwealth so many countries are.

People here say they like Harry, Harry makes few visits to Canada. He doesn't seem to like us much, despite fawning supporters.

You say you like the CW Games, did you watch much of them? I would guess you watched more of the Olympics, and talked about them more. The CW Games were fine in their day, but like the empire, it lacks relevence. The Olympics have shown we want to compete with the best now because we can win. Why waste spending millions of dollars to beat third world athletes?

of course I haven't forgotton, but I also haven't forgotton the fact that there was much protest to
having the olympic games to begin with, and they were a success, what else would they be, when the
time comes, we are all caught up in the emotion of the celebration, and the negative part of the
situation is put away for a while. I was just making a point that was a fact.

The level of talent of the athlete is not 'always' the point, and the athletes who take part are just as
proud to participate as is any olympic athlete, and we shouldn't put down athletes because they
are not the best in the world, as talent and ability to beat everyone else isn't always the priority,
the celebration and the sport of the event is priority.

Your opinion on the empire and the empire games is just that, 'your opinion', doesn't mean much in
the grand scheme of things, but it is your right.

'Let the Games Begin'.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
of course I haven't forgotton, but I also haven't forgotton the fact that there was much protest to having the olympic games to begin with, and they were a success, what else would they be, when thetime comes, we are all caught up in the emotion of the celebration, and the negative part of the situation is put away for a while. I was just making a point that was a fact.

The level of talent of the athlete is not 'always' the point, and the athletes who take part are just as proud to participate as is any olympic athlete, and we shouldn't put down athletes because theyare not the best in the world, as talent and ability to beat everyone else isn't always the priority, the celebration and the sport of the event is priority.

Your opinion on the empire and the empire games is just that, 'your opinion', doesn't mean much inthe grand scheme of things, but it is your right.

'Let the Games Begin'.

In BC, a small vocal minority gets huge media play. We found out during the Olympics when they marched through the streets and caused property damage, they really had very little public support. The professional protestors became discredited.

I think kids should learn about the British empire in school, but they don't. Too oppressive for them I guess.

There are other new events that crowd out the CW Games. They are for participation and fun, like the BC and Canada Games which I totally support because they bring Canadians together in a very cost efficient way. The CW Games are not cost efficient, they are a potential billion dollar boondoggle. The world passes them by and says thanks for the memories.

BCLocalNews.com - Abbotsford competes at International Children?s Games
Abbotsford competes at International Children’s Games

Eight of Abbotsford’s junior curlers join more than 400 international athletes attending the International Children’s Games in Kelowna this week.
Submitted photo
Published: January 26, 2011 3:00 PM
Updated: January 26, 2011 3:37 PM

Eight of Abbotsford’s junior curlers join more than 400 international athletes attending the International Children’s Games in Kelowna this week.

The International Children’s Winter Games will be held January 26-31 in Kelowna.

“We are so proud to be cheering on our youth curling teams at the Children’s Games in Kelowna,” said Mayor George W. Peary. ‘It is vitally important to encourage and support healthy active youths in our community, and these two teams are a testament to what can be accomplished with some hard work and dedication.”

The junior program now has approximately 70 curlers at all levels coached by local Abbotsford experts Michele Baratelli and Bob Fatkin and assisted by Jordan Kiss. Each team spends at least five hours a week in practice and then play in adult leagues at least once a week to improve their level of play.

Baratelli and Fatkin have been together for almost three seasons and their dream of building up the junior program to the point where they have athletes ready to compete in other regions is finally starting to come to fruition.

Taylor White, aged 14 and Skip for Team White, is leading a competitive team for the first time and in her preparation for the games has shown herself to be a leader. Team White also includes Brittany Pawliuk, 13, Natasha Cummings, 12, and Mikaela Turnbull, 12.
Team Parker is skipped by Nick Parker, 14, and his team is made up of Vincint Wood, 13, Nicolaus Bonneau, 12, and Carson Keith, 13.

This team has played together for almost two years and is also participating in the B.C. Provincial Zone 3 playdowns. Their anticipated highlight will be playing against the team from Seoul, Korea.
Nick Parker has been honing his skills skipping by playing in the Wednesday Night Men’s league and the Optimist Highpoint Division 1 league.

“What an opportunity this is to be able to meet athletes from other countries,” said Parker. “I wouldn’t miss this for the world - winning is secondary.”

Kelowna will host international youth, age 12 to 15 for a week of fun filled games, sporting events, festivals and more. The Games aim to enable, develop and advance the meeting, understanding and friendship of students from different countries around the world and promote the Olympic Ideal. For more information on the International Children’s Games – Winter Sports, visit

Kelowna 2011 International Children's Games :: Home

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
In BC, a small vocal minority gets huge media play. We found out during the Olympics when they marched through the streets and caused property damage, they really had very little public support. The professional protestors became discredited.

I think kids should learn about the British empire in school, but they don't. Too oppressive for them I guess.

There are other new events that crowd out the CW Games. They are for participation and fun, like the BC and Canada Games which I totally support because they bring Canadians together in a very cost efficient way. The CW Games are not cost efficient, they are a potential billion dollar boondoggle. The world passes them by and says thanks for the memories.

BCLocalNews.com - Abbotsford competes at International Children?s Games
Abbotsford competes at International Children’s Games

____________________________________________________________________________________
You have downplayed the protest to the olympics, there was also a vote that was a joke, as the
plans to have the olympics was allready set and confirmed, then they allowed a vote, why I don't
know, because it made no difference if they had voted 100% against it, it would have gone forward
anyway.
I didn't really care one way or the other if the olympic games came here or not, because I knew that
it doesn't matter what I think, they will do what they want, so whats the point of protesting or not.
Just go about my business as usual.
I watched all of the olympics, I am a sports person, always have been, so of course I will enjoy the
games, wherever they are.

I think all games such as you have mentioned are positive and productive for communities and countries,
including the common wealth games.

I'm all for it.​

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Biz and political parties wanted the Oly Games for the work. The publlc was kind of ambivalent, but the protestors were quite focussed but we learned they lacked solid popular support.

With limited budgets and deficits, some events, which are expensive, have to be permanently cut from the political agenda.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".

It's also very difficult to measure (if not impossible) what psychological effect things like the Olympics have. For instance, did Vancouver help raise federalist sentiments in Quebec? Does the positive events of Vancouver carry over into things like productivity?