Poll: Most Canadians don't care about upcoming royal wedding

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The prime minister is not elected.

He is appointed by the Governor General, in the Queen's name, based on the person best able to command the support of a majority of members of the House of Commons -- the only body on the federal scene in Canada that is elected. It would be a huge mistake to give the prime minister the power to determine whether he, himself, is governing respectful of constitutional norms; to do so would open the door to the prime minister being able to say "You know what, I know that our budget was defeated, but I'm the head of State -- I've decided not to invite another person to form a government."

Ummmmmmmmmm? I don't think so. The Prime Minister wins in his riding just like every other M.P. and is generally the leader of the party.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Down with the monarchy. The Royal family is a serious drain on taxpayers both in Canada and especially the UK. Their time is long past and since they no longer serve a purpose - why must we continue to pay for their lavish upkeep?

Do not care about the wedding it is non-news.

BBC NEWS | UK | Cost of Royal Family rises £1.5m

Each person in Britain has to pay 68 pounds for the Royal Family (not including security expense) but the ticket to Buckingham Palace is just 20 pounds and I doubt that 150 million people get to go inside the actual palace each year to break this expense even.

Great for the business owners who run hotels, hostels and cafes but it doesn't do a whole lot of good for the remainder of the country...!

Even then getting rid of the Royal Family wouldn't kill the tourism agency. More people go to Britain as a transit location, nightlife, experiencing Europe without a language barrier; et al, than to see the actual royla family.

Talk about the worse family in the world, nothing but inbreds and adulteers and the one person in the world who could had made a difference through appeal, Queen Elizabeth, did nothing to question her ministers over the collapse of Empire from 1948 to 1970. The old bag is probably a closet Marxist considering she knighted Mugabe and other freaks.

The Continentals desposed their Monarchs for a lot less but yet we still keep ours...

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Guys... newsflash, there is no national vote for the prime minister. He gets elected by a few thousand voters in his home riding, and he governs the entire country only because he's the most likely to keep the support of the House of Commons. As stipulated in the Constitution Act, 1867, he's invited by the Governor General, in the Queen's name, to form a Government. The power to appoint and dismiss the prime minister rests with the Crown. It would be absurd to suggest that the prime minister himself should decide who the next prime minister is, in a minority parliament.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
SO who died and made the governor general boss? Name one PM that was not elected.

Canada has NEVER elected a Prime Minister, and if anyone thinks otherwise, they are just showing their extreme ignorance in Canadian government.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The wedding isn't news here in Gopherland.
Gophers have no need of a monarchy and are not interested because they are too busy looking over their shoulders making sure they don't get snatched by a hawk, fox or coyote. Considering their place on the food chain, I would rather be a humming being watching royalty interbreed. I'm paranoid enough to want to be a gopher. :p

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Not outlined in any constitutional document, the office exists only as per long-established convention originating in Canada's former colonial power, the United Kingdom, which stipulate that the monarch's representative, the governor general, must select as prime minister the person most likely to command the confidence of the elected House of Commons; this individual is typically the leader of the political party that holds the largest number of seats in that chamber

In rare circumstances individuals who are not members of the Commons can be appointed prime minister. Two former prime ministers — Sir John Joseph Caldwell Abbott and Sir Mackenzie Bowell — served in the 1890s while members of the Senate

Prime ministers who are not Members of Parliament upon their appointment (or who lose their seats while in office) have since been expected to seek election to the Commons as soon as possible. For example William Lyon Mackenzie King, after losing his seat in the same general election that his party won, briefly "governed from the hallway" before winning a by-election a few weeks later. Similarly, John Turner replaced Pierre Trudeau as leader of the Liberal Party in 1984 and subsequently was appointed prime minister even though he did not hold a seat in the lower chamber of parliament;

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I'll always fail to understand how some of my fellow citizens put faith in the sex lives of foreigners to safeguard our democracy.

We have our independence, and a little icing on the cake, with the monarchy, and it keeps a keen
eye on our government, who have to stay within the laws of our country, or they will be 'turfed'
out by the monarchy, and I'm glad to have them.

As if this function couldn't be held by competent Canadians here at home....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What we were originally talking about was dumping the royals. While technically true that we don't elect our PM most people base their vote at least partly on the party leader or against the leaders of the other party so in reality we elect the PM We elect our representatives and generally the leader of the wining party becomes PM, which makes him/her leader of the country. We do not really need any other higher authority, just change the rules to make the PM leader and cut the expense of all the hangers on.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
What we were originally talking about was dumping the royals. While technically true that we don't elect our PM most people base their vote at least partly on the party leader or against the leaders of the other party so in reality we elect the PM We elect our representatives and generally the leader of the wining party becomes PM, which makes him/her leader of the country. We do not really need any other higher authority, just change the rules to make the PM leader and cut the expense of all the hangers on.

We could even have the exact same system as we have now, just without the Royals in Britain. The GG could be set up by the PM but a 66% approval would be required by the House of Commons. Would that be so complicated?

Those who use the ''safeguard against democracy'' argument just don't have enough imagination to figure out how our democracy could be fully protected otherwise. In the end, the truth is that they identify to British Monarchy as being a Canadian symbol. To them, it is an essential characteristic of Canada and to get rid of it would be to lose part of Canada's identity.

Personally I see it more as an 18 year old girl desperately clinging to her old stuffed animals because she refuses to grow up.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
s_lone; As if this function couldn't be held by competent Canadians here at home....[/QUOTE said:
Isn't that what is known as the Senate?

He wasn't elected by all Canadians, only those in his riding.

Which takes us back to when the leadership convention was held. That was the opportunity for ALL Canadians- join the party and get a vote!

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
An American pointed out to me once when we were discussing having a monarch as representative of the nation....

....she laughed a bit and said: "Americans try every year to elect a Queen - and all they can find are 'Miss America' and all the other beauty queens who win for their looks."

If the Royals aren't costing a huge sum in taxation, why not let it alone?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
An American pointed out to me once when we were discussing having a monarch as representative of the nation....

....she laughed a bit and said: "Americans try every year to elect a Queen - and all they can find are 'Miss America' and all the other beauty queens who win for their looks."

If the Royals aren't costing a huge sum in taxation, why not let it alone?

I fully agree, it's great tradition, and some canadians act like an ungrateful child, who would
kick their relatives in the shins because they want to be left alone, and not reminded of their
past.
Well our past is our present, and who we are, as we would not have become who we are now without
the british and their presence in this country, we would probably all be americans.

It is nothing like a little girl clinging to her dolls or 'whatever', that is very childish and
nothing to do with fact.

I'm not really sure why their is so much resentment with our connections to the royal family.
I don't understand that thought process at all, it seems ungrateful and selfish and thoughtless,

Maybe it's just all the people who have no ties to the british at all, and come from somewhere
else, and don't feel the tradition and the past.
All of my past relatives were either english or irish, no one from anywhere else at all, and I
do feel the ties to my past, and how this country was founded, and I do feel the happiness in
being independent and free, and not part of the u.s.

Also, they are not tryants who are doing disgusting things to anyone.

Now, if we were connected to some other countries in the world, perhaps I would feel the same,
but I enjoy the tradition and the history, and don't want to cut the ties.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You saying that Harper was not elected?

Harper was elected as an MP representing the riding of Calgary South West. At no time has there been an option on ANYONE'S ballot to vote for Harper as Prime Minister of Canada.