Poll: Most Canadians don't care about upcoming royal wedding

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Guys... newsflash, there is no national vote for the prime minister. He gets elected by a few thousand voters in his home riding, and he governs the entire country only because he's the most likely to keep the support of the House of Commons. As stipulated in the Constitution Act, 1867, he's invited by the Governor General, in the Queen's name, to form a Government. The power to appoint and dismiss the prime minister rests with the Crown. It would be absurd to suggest that the prime minister himself should decide who the next prime minister is, in a minority parliament.

yeah, that would be frightening.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
So, you're saying the best reason to dump the monarchy is because that would mean we would leave the commonwealth and therefore save money by not being involved in the Commonwealth Games.

I'm surprised you don't have the ear of every single Canadian with reasoning like that. Flawless, that is.

Plenty of Canadians are getting it quite well. The monarchy, the crown, CW Games, is the GG or queen the head of state? It's a mess. Canadians are beginning to see that these relics of history need to be shed, we can do a reboot and make something better. Throw out the old baggage and good riddance to it.

Canadians are getting the idea the CW Games are a potential several billion dollar time bomb. I can see the federal govt giving goodies to Quebec or Alberta to make it happen one day.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
An American pointed out to me once when we were discussing having a monarch as representative of the nation....

....she laughed a bit and said: "Americans try every year to elect a Queen - and all they can find are 'Miss America' and all the other beauty queens who win for their looks."

If the Royals aren't costing a huge sum in taxation, why not let it alone?

For one thing, the Commonwealth Games could cost us a few billion to host if we ever get unlucky enough to "win" this third rate event.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
For one thing, the Commonwealth Games could cost us a few billion to host if we ever get unlucky enough to "win" this third rate event.
I mean, I have no use for that bunch of inbred twits, but, common, there must be a more intelligent reason to dump them besides the commonwealth games.That seems so limp.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Canadians are getting the idea the CW Games are a potential several billion dollar time bomb. I can see the federal govt giving goodies to Quebec or Alberta to make it happen one day.

No doubt we will see pork barelling, corruption and contract favoritism.

British Columbia coming to mind but my province is incredibly corrupt. The skytrain was not a waste when you consider it cost the same amount to build the "Olympic Village", no doubt this explains where Gordon Campbell found the money to buy those four homes of his on a MLA's salary.

Unfortunately, corruption will continue to exist in our democracies as our representatives tend to come from lower and middle income brackets, where the tempation of accepting bribes in values of thousands and millions is almost impossible to ignore.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I mean, I have no use for that bunch of inbred twits, but, common, there must be a more intelligent reason to dump them besides the commonwealth games.That seems so limp.

I guess the young generation, Billy and Harry don't fit in there as with their mother Diana, new blood was brought into the family. I don't think those two boys are "twits", although I'm not sure Chuckie can take credit for that.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I guess the young generation, Billy and Harry don't fit in there as with their mother Diana, new blood was brought into the family. I don't think those two boys are "twits", although I'm not sure Chuckie can take credit for that.

Disagree about Harry,
he seems to take a lot from his (disinherited) Great Great Uncle Edward VIII. I won't mention the Halloween Party Incident as most of us are aware of it but there have been other incidents like racist tape recordings, spotted at strip bars, unruly behaviour with military buddies - "bros before hoes" kind of mentality, et al.

His current girlfriend is Camilla Romestrand (Rockstar).

A lot of "accidents" happen all the time in Europe so Harry may end up becoming our monarch one day.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

British Columbia coming to mind but my province is incredibly corrupt. The skytrain was not a waste when you consider it cost the same amount to build the "Olympic Village", no doubt this explains where Gordon Campbell found the money to buy those four homes of his on a MLA's salary.

Unfortunately, corruption will continue to exist in our democracies as our representatives tend to come from lower and middle income brackets, where the tempation of accepting bribes in values of thousands and millions is almost impossible to ignore.

Where is the link for Campbell's four homes?

Sure we have corruption, but they say China spent $50 billion on the Olympic Games. Although we did spend $1 billion on a week or so for the G8-G20 summits. Both were political shows where most of the money was wasted.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Disagree about Harry,
he seems to take a lot from his (disinherited) Great Great Uncle Edward VIII. I won't mention the Halloween Party Incident as most of us are aware of it but there have been other incidents like racist tape recordings, spotted at strip bars, unruly behaviour with military buddies - "bros before hoes" kind of mentality, et al.

His current girlfriend is Camilla Romestrand (Rockstar).

Harry has a bit of a mischievous side but I think that's all it is. He was pretty young with some of those antics and was probably just trying to add some "comic relief" to his straight laced la de da relatives. Harry is quite intelligent and can be pretty serious. He lost his mother at a very young age, which has no doubt had an adverse effect on him. I like Harry.

With gov'ts of all description all around the world you find corruption - Campbell looks like a choir boy compared to say Robert Mugabbe or Myamar Khadaffy. We should count our blessings! :smile:

Maybe Harry comes by his pranks honestly, years ago when his grandfather Philip was a young buck and disliked the press and on one occasion turned the garden sprinklers on them totally drenching them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Million dollar smiles on those Saxe-Coburg Gotha boys. Every tooth a buck.

At least those lads have the teeth to compete with the beaver on the nickel.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

it cost us billions to host the olympics, against the better judgement of millions of canadians, doesn't
matter, governments will go ahead with whatever they decide, irrespective of what canadians want.
I like the commonwealth games, keeps us remembering who we were and who we are,
and the connection with the british empire is a good thing in my opinion.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I am philosophically oppose to the idea of a monarch The whole idea of birth rite makes me nauseous. That said, unless somebody can give me a reason to spend the millions of dollars to dump this nutty family, I will remain indifferent. They do, after all, have little real power over us.

I'm all in favour of another holiday so let's take the wedding day off (provided it's a Friday or a Monday). Who can argue against a long weekend.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Gophers have no need of a monarchy and are not interested because they are too busy looking over their shoulders making sure they don't get snatched by a hawk, fox or coyote. Considering their place on the food chain, I would rather be a humming being watching royalty interbreed. I'm paranoid enough to want to be a gopher. :p

who's afraid of that food chain - lol!

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
I like the fact the newly engaged couple (along with brother Harry) seem to be integrated into public society as carefully as they can without disrupting the Gilded Carriage Act......

If Kate wishes to use a classy automobile, why not let her morph into regular society - most of the 'carriage society' can't think for themselves any more and who cares how she arrives - only that she does and is finally married to the Heir Apparent.

I think they will make a modern, fine thinking, educated couple, in touch with the people without fawning over all the historical tradition
which has become far too expensive and outmoded

Let them be more human - for in reality there are no creatures who have ever earned the "royal" deferential title. It doesn't make sense.

Those who have 'ruled' other humans have done so with force and expection or punishment - dark ages thought. Let's be done with it!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Watched 'The King's Speech' this past weekend.

Bertie was an interesting guy - never wanted to be King, but determined to do the best for the people that he could, from what I've gathered from the various books about him that I've read. Which was pretty much the same concept as his daughter has used for this many years.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I was thinking more about the starting point of this thread being apathy about the impending wedding, and you know, when I am perfectly honest, I don't care all that much when most of my extended family gets married either. Its a case of "good for them" or "thats nice", not something I get really pumped up about. Sure I want them to be happy, and for the most part I'll be there to congratulate them but its not anything that evokes a lot of passion in me. I know geography plays a part in that and I know there are people who are closer to their cousins, etc. than I am but its still a far cry from your immediate family and closest friends. So really what is so surprising that so many are apathetic about a wedding, thousands of miles away, between two people most of us will never see, never mind meet?