Polar bears turn cannibalistic as climate change depletes arctic food supply

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
No,I dont waste my time with this crap anymore,I spent enough years in the arctic,had dinner many times with Canada's govt. polar bear experts when they did their research which was all the time and hooked them up with what ever they needed along the way to do their studys that I can tell **** from shinola when I see it.
Most of these grant suckers dont make it past Churchill and rarely leave their hotel room because they can do their research right from the net,it's about the biggest scam I have ever seen and its getting worse because so many people gobble it up.

Living in tha arctic is pure survival for man or beast,even humans have resorted to cannibalism up their to survive,this is not something that just happened.

The arctic is not complicated,go live a year on the barrenlands and you will also ask yourself where are all the scientists?Why dont they continue on with me past thompson or churchill?
Now maybe if they had the nuts to go spend 7 weeks on Devon island they would have some credibility on their research.
I've spent my whole working life in the bush,animals eat each other,all the time,live with it.
I noticed you said "most of these grant suckers don't make it past Churchill". So then you admit that there are researchers who DO get out and about in the Arctic. So just because the ones that stop in Churchill get info off the web, doesn't mean they ALL do.
besides, if there are researchers scooting around Antarctica, where conditions are a LOT more severe than the Arctic, I'm sure that there are researchers wandering around the Arctic.
Jeeez whatta jackass.

You adapt very fast in the arctic or you die,polars are very good at stalking and hunting people on land,something most Griz wont do.
Some people dont seem to understand that in the summer most ice melts and the bears actually have to live on land during the (gasp) summer.They dont all follow the ice north,if theres food around they stay,if not they go find it.

With the Beverly and Dorothy Caribou herds wandering tha barrenlands it's not like there isnt an abundant supply of food on the tundra.

You seem to have the idea that bears that are used to hunting seal can just adapt to catching and eating caribou the day after they can't find seal. Yeeeeaaaaahhh, ok.
Jeez, if they adapted that fast, why would they go snooping around in dumps.

Well,I hate BS and your opening topic is pure BS,I rarely post about stuff I dont know about,this is something I know about from personal experience so I may not be a photo journalist but Im just showing my creds are a bit more believable then the person you posted the opening topic about.
uhuh Perhaps you should just write a letter to the various scientific researchers about how much of an expert you are on everything concerning the north and charge them a fee for all your vast info. It'd make everyone's work so much simpler and you could get rich.

If the scientific welfare bums could be enticed into the arctic close enough to the bears and left there to study could that help the bears survive the arctic drought. How much food would the scientific welfare bums need so they didn't get to thin? Aren't the science welfare bums about the same size as seals?
How about shipping loads of dim rodents up there? lol

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
Lions kill the cubs of other lions, but that was never due to GW. There is substantial evidence to show that mammals engage in infanticide, to lessen competition for their own offspring.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Lions kill the cubs of other lions, but that was never due to GW. There is substantial evidence to show that mammals engage in infanticide, to lessen competition for their own offspring.
I've seen bears eat bears,griz,blacks and polars,seen Arctic fox kill their offspring,in fact a father will actually seek out the kits and kill and eat them.Thats normal,no matter what anyone seems to think.
Polar bears dont drown unless being run by a boat,they are not fast swimmers but have been known to swim for days,thats been well documented and I have seen it and heard how the Innuit do hunt them while I lived and worked with them.

The thing about all this fearmongering is it detracts from real conservationalism and the real problems faceing the arctic,like the boy who called wolf,soon people will just start ignoring the real problems.

Polar bears arent starving,the Innuit arent killing emanciated bears.
Polar bears have no problem living on land,they are very adaptable,like the griz who used to be prarie dwellers.
Bears are opportunists,they dont care where they get food,it can be a dump,the sea or the tundra,they go where the easiest food is,there is no shortage of food on the tundra,at the camp we were at this year in the arctic we were far from the sea yet wandering bears on the tundra were a daily thing,they can have a range a few hundred kilometers square,very well known by anyone who knows bears.
Polar bears are cannabilistic,so are blacks and Griz,nothing new here,anyone whos spent time in the bush knows this.
Environmental fearmongering is a huge bussiness,as you can see by some of the more ignorant comments on this topic,it scares people and they cough up money for grants,it's a huge scam and people who have experience in the bush know this.
I've been working in the mountains and spent many years in the arctic,in 35 years I have spent 34 of them in the bush away from most people.I see more bears in a year then most will see in their lifetime,I think that counts for something.

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Stick to selling furnaces ger.

I flew through there many times and no one fell through the ice and the ice freezes and melts same time give or take 2 weeks.
Thats also where the Churchill bears pass through on their way north,funny how just north of Arviet at Rankin Inlet they encourage the people to do civil disobediance by claiming their useing self defense for hunting polars when the govt. cut back the quota's after public outcry from southerners who have never been north.

So whole towns will dis agree with that fellow,sorry but thats the way it is.
Barges freeze in same time every year on the Hudsons,so much for melting ice.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
no comment on what the Inuit hunter is telling everyone? It's basically the opposite of what you are saying. Are you telling us that the Inuit are lieing?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Nobody is claiming that cannibalism is a new behaviour, the claim is that it is becoming more frequent and it's correlated to climate change. It's written in plain English in the article for crying out loud. 8O

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I tend to beleive things I see with my own eyes before something I read on the internet.

Animals have been eating their own kind since the beginning.
Amazing how many species do it.This is wiki so take it with a grain of salt but interesting.
In zoology, cannibalism is the act of one individual of a species consuming all or part of another individual of the same species as food. Cannibalism is a common ecological interaction in the animal kingdom and has been recorded for more than 1500 species [1] It does not, as once believed, occur only as a result of extreme food shortages or artificial conditions, but commonly occurs under natural conditions in a variety of species.[1][2][3] Cannibalism seems to be especially prevalent in aquatic communities, in which up to approximately 90% of the organisms engage in cannibalism at some point of the life cycle. Cannibalism is also not restricted to carnivorous species, but is commonly found in herbivores and detritivores.[2]

Cannibalism (zoology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Maybe you should take a look at the documentary they an Inuik film maker put together with a lot more Inuik speaking of the changes up there, including elders. I imagine that they've would be all wrong to.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Maybe you should take a look at the documentary they an Inuik film maker put together with a lot more Inuik speaking of the changes up there, including elders. I imagine that they've would be all wrong to.

Well lots see it as some free money from the govt. so some have an agenda.The hunters out on the ice and the tundra dont seem to have a problem filling their kamutaks.

I'll make a bear prediction based on what I saw last summer while working in Peter Lougheed park.
Some one or more then one person is going to get mauled or eaten.On the trans Canada hiking trail where bears are protected by park boundarys I saw 5 griz in 9 kilometers and all with cubs.This is at the northern tip of the highwood pass where they relocate all the problem bears from the south.I saw so many close encounters of bears and mountain bikers that I'm amazed it didnt happen this summer,a girl did get mauled by a cougar though in the area I was working.This was another problem animal that was relocated after humans encroached on it's territory.

Thats way too many bears in that small an area,one bad berry crop and I wouldnt want to be in that area when the competition begins for food.This is just another example of what happens when we try too hard to interfere in the balance of nature by controling their populations.Some control is needed at times but overkill seems to be the name of the game.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I was on the phone with my Mother In-law the other day. She's 82 and she was telling me that winters are worse than they've ever been. Ah, but for the good old days when the sun shone 18 hours a day 25 days a month and a bag a chips and a pop cost a quarter. Things were better back then, before all this Global Warming started happening. No school shootings, no bears eating their cubs, no shrill debates where hero cookies were involved.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No school shootings, no bears eating their cubs, no shrill debates where hero cookies were involved.

Indeed, hero cookies weren't needed back in the good ole days. Discussions didn't involve someone spewing out their resume for trivial and irrelevant information.

The wise old owl sat on an oak, the more he heard the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Many older folks on here don't resemble that wise old bird.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Indeed, hero cookies weren't needed back in the good ole days. Discussions didn't involve someone spewing out their resume for trivial and irrelevant information.

The wise old owl sat on an oak, the more he heard the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Many older folks on here don't resemble that wise old bird.

Actually, from my vantage point you both could drop it down a notch or two.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Too bad they didnt have graphs back in those days.They also listened to the voice of experience,like I did in the Arctic,thats why I learned so much to share with the less experienced.
Someone thinks I just dig holes,I responded with my creds.Too bad if that breaks your heart,maybe you need a cookie.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In approximately two weeks I am going to Yellowknife. For six weeks I will be running the ice roads. When I get back we will put this global warming business to rest once and for all.:p

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
In approximately two weeks I am going to Yellowknife. For six weeks I will be running the ice roads. When I get back we will put this global warming business to rest once and for all.:p

Have fun! You picked about the worst time to go though,April is nicer,at least the suns starting to come up then.
I passed on the north this year or I would be flying to YK next week too.

If you stay at the super8 there is a Timmys next door but if you want a coffee before 6 am you have to walk through the drive through and place your order that way.
Enjoy the northern lights,good time of year for them.