Polar bears turn cannibalistic as climate change depletes arctic food supply

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Why did the polar bear mark his meal with an X?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Heres a funny story,when the Innuit first got internet I was there,they got to read about the horrors going on in their back yard,the ice was melting,polar bears were drowning,the world as they knew it was going to end according to what they read on the internets so it must be true.
Nonetheless they loved the attention they were getting from the world and embraced it.
So this is the readers digest version and we'll jump 3 years into the future where in Rankin inlet and other communities the polar bear quota's were drastically cut to protect this endangered and allmost extinct species.
So in every newspaper in the Kivallik it was front page for everyone to engage in what they called civil disobediance protests.
There was so many polar bears wandering into communities and they couldnt shoot them unless it was self defence so this was encouraged and when a bear was shot in town(self defence) it was common to see the elders and children all going to the kill with knives so they could harvest this bear.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The article kind of lost any merit in the first paragraph.

You do realize that polar bears live on both land and ice?

Yes. I know a great deal more than you likely think I know.

Now, do you realize that the article is second hand information from a journalist?

You do realize the sea ice melts every year and the Churchill polars follow the ice as it melts and they do it on land?

Yup, every year. In fact the trend is towards earlier melt, and later formation of the sea ice. By the way, you do realize that Churchill polar bears are but one of 19 sub-populations right?

They go where the food is,if it's plentifull in one area and lots of belugas are washing up on shore they will be content to stay right there.

They go where they have to, to survive. Are we getting to a point somewhere that is in contention? You're not exactly giving any new information that would lead to falsification of this woman's reported findings.

You also realize polar bears are equally as happy on land as on the ice?

You asked them did you? So given the choice, we would expect 50% of bears would stay on land when the ice forms?

Retarded.

I think even one single trip past churchill would open your eyes but hey.

I lived in Rankin Inlet, that's well over 400 km North of Churchill, MB. Therefore I will ignore all observations of anyone who I disagree with on all matters relating to the Arctic. Sounds pretty stupid when I say it, doesn't it? Would you like a mirror?

...you read it on the net and a photo journalist says it's true so it must be. Sheeeesh.

Umm no, in fact I disputed her claims in my first post. Sheeesh.

Here it is again:
While some of the claims Ross makes have been peer reviewed in other publications and by other researchers, I don't think increasing prevalence of cannibalism is one of them. It's definitely a plausible relationship, but I'd like to see how she deals with an alleged increase in prevalence when there has likely been an increased observation effort at the same time. If there has been increased observations, then she would have to account for this possible confoundment.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Well im not going to get into all this crap again as it's been shown as fearmongering a long time ago.

I know what I have seen there and I have more arctic experience then most of the fearmonger authors will ever have.
Sorry but there's not many people up there doing research anymore unless from the comfort of their hotel room.As for sub species and all that,like I said,the arctic is huge but theres not many people and the ones that are there and work there all are experts,experience is something you dont get off the net or by reading graphs.

Ice melts in summer,freezes in winter,bears are opportunistic,they will go where the food is on land or water,they can also swim for days.
Theres some expert facts for you.
The arctic doesnt get much simpler then that.

Theres probably less then 100 people who have kept a small remote camp open during the winter months at the arctic circle,I'm one of them and even the most hardened Innuit thought I was crazy to volunteer to attempt that as they wouldnt.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ice melts in summer,freezes in winter,bears are opportunistic,they will go where the food is on land or water,they can also swim for days.

Theres some expert facts for you.

The arctic doesnt get much simpler then that.

I don't think there would be this much concern if the species (or sub-species if you will) could adapt to the environment to survive. It does not appear that this is the case.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Theres probably less then 100 people who have kept a small remote camp open during the winter months at the arctic circle,I'm one of them and even the most hardened Innuit thought I was crazy to volunteer to attempt that as they wouldnt.

Do you want a hero cookie or something? You boast and brag like a child.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I don't think there would be this much concern if the species (or sub-species if you will) could adapt to the environment to survive. It does not appear that this is the case.

You adapt very fast in the arctic or you die,polars are very good at stalking and hunting people on land,something most Griz wont do.
Some people dont seem to understand that in the summer most ice melts and the bears actually have to live on land during the (gasp) summer.They dont all follow the ice north,if theres food around they stay,if not they go find it.

With the Beverly and Dorothy Caribou herds wandering tha barrenlands it's not like there isnt an abundant supply of food on the tundra.

Do you want a hero cookie or something? You boast and brag like a child.

Well,I hate BS and your opening topic is pure BS,I rarely post about stuff I dont know about,this is something I know about from personal experience so I may not be a photo journalist but Im just showing my creds are a bit more believable then the person you posted the opening topic about.

Pure sensationalism and fearmongering in your opener.
Sorry but I like truth,not B.S.

Now if I wanted to be childish I would be handing out bad rep points to those who dont agree with my opinion.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well,I hate BS and your opening topic is pure BS,I rarely post about stuff I dont know about,this is something I know about from personal experience so I may not be a photo journalist but Im just showing my creds are a bit more believable then the person you posted the opening topic about.

Credibility... out the window. I didn't post this thread. Mentalfloss did.

Pure sensationalism and fearmongering in your opener.
Are you drinking again? My first post again because you have a bad memory rummy:

While some of the claims Ross makes have been peer reviewed in other publications and by other researchers, I don't think increasing prevalence of cannibalism is one of them. It's definitely a plausible relationship, but I'd like to see how she deals with an alleged increase in prevalence when there has likely been an increased observation effort at the same time. If there has been increased observations, then she would have to account for this possible confoundment.

Pure sensationalism and fear mongering.... One thing you are really good at, digging holes.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Credibility... out the window. I didn't post this thread. Mentalfloss did.

Are you drinking again? My first post again because you have a bad memory rummy:

Pure sensationalism and fear mongering.... One thing you are really good at, digging holes.

Ahhhh,now the insults,sorry but I dont drink.
I also hold level 1 and 2 supervisor certificates for remote arctic camps and have managed a few camps.
Everyone digs holes in the arctic,they also pack groceries and burn **** bags and It matters not who you are or what title you hold.
You obviously have no idea what it's like on the other side except from what you read on the net,how sad.

Theres also Griz in the arctic,guess they arent as cute as a polar so they get neglected,check out this starving bear,good thing they put it out of it's misery before it died of starvation.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I also hold level 1 and 2 supervisor certificates for remote arctic camps and have managed a few camps.

And that means you know everything about reality, including physics, biology, ecology, biochemistry...... Why pay scientists, just ask Kakato...:roll:

Here's your damned cookies already, jeez:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And that means you know everything about reality, including physics, biology, ecology, biochemistry...... Why pay scientists, just ask Kakato...:roll:

Here's your damned cookies already, jeez:

Spidey can't hang with the NATO crew.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
That's because he doesn't even have a level 1 supervisor certificate for remote arctic camps. What a loser.
You need a minimum level 2 nunavut certificate to manage a remote camp,thats the law.
you cant supervise or be responsible for men and woman in an exploration environment up there without one.

The govt. poster in every airport warning about cannibalistic polars.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Level 1 sounds like a scam then. What do you get to manage with level 1? An outhouse?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If the scientific welfare bums could be enticed into the arctic close enough to the bears and left there to study could that help the bears survive the arctic drought. How much food would the scientific welfare bums need so they didn't get to thin? Aren't the science welfare bums about the same size as seals?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What a load of crap! Arctic fox will also eat others,pups,even their own offspring.
Thats something that happens in the animal kingdom the world over but if a photo journalist says it's so then it must be true.
So, do you have any proof that they aren't feeding on each other? Do you have any proof it is not more prevalent now than before when there was lots of ice around?
Someone saying "A" and someone else saying "B" and both simply saying the other is wrong is not debate. It isn't even argument.

Some of these "researchers" should actually talk to the people who have lived amongst these animals all their life instead of relying what they can gleen off the net.
Next thing you know they will say they are drowning because the sea ice is melting.
Actually they can and do drown because they're too far from land or ice. Especially if they are cubs.

With these claims if you follow the money you will see someones usually getting a grant to post this kind of crap.
You can only post what you see, which is basically just anecdote. Like you've never seen a bear eat a bear so that must mean no-one else has either. You see lots of ice and even get your cat stuck in it, so that must mean there's lots of ice and it isn't melting.

So do you spend your time wandering all over the Canadian Arctic looking for data in research, or do you just happen to notice the occasional event?

Freakin hilarious.