Physicist Stephen Hawking tells US to stop attacking British health service

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seriously though. The health insurance companies are blocking, or doing their best to block health care reforms. The ignorance of the American public is unbelievable. A little research would tell them what other countries have compared with what they have. The number of bankruptcies caused by medical debt in America is higher than any other country.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry Anna, but if you are claiming that Canadians are as interested in the private life of their PM as Americans are interested in the private life of their president, you could not be more wrong.

I am not going to admit I am wrong (and you are right), just to end the argument. In this case, you are wrong. Canadians pretty much leave their PM alone; don’t pry into his private life, Americans do.

So it is quite understandable if a Canadian does not know the names of the kids of the PM (I don’t). There is no excuse for an American not to know the name of the kids of the president.
Nope. You are dead wrong and you never would admit it to save your life. You love yourself too much to allow your gigantic ego to take a blow like that. It's an inherent trait in narcissism.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You grow up.

Evidence, you idiot. Maybe you're drunk or something, at least then you would have some feeble excuse. As I said, you choose to live out in the sticks, you choose to live that far from a hospital. No one needs to cater to your wants and desires, if you choose something then deal with the consequences.
lmao I'm an idiot? roflmao You poor, myopic "man". Look, you are the one arguing that Canada has an equally accessible healthcare system for everyone. I have shown that is not true. It only has the policy to provide this, but it can't deliver on its policy. Healthcare is NOT equal nor equally accessible everywhere in Canada. Where people live is irrelevant. Need a simpler picture or can you grasp the idea now?
BTW, I suggested you grow up because of your childishness in name-calling.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah it is. Anyone in a major city will tell you that a doctor that has only 30 patients is a joke. Seeing 6 patients a day is your idea of sensible? Holy ****, you're not even smart enough to be sheep. You don't want equal you want privileged treatment far beyond what anyone in Canada receives. What you need is a doctor to look at that swelled head of yours and see if you can get some treatment for that over inflated sense of entitlement you have. :sign5:
LOADS of assumptions again. I'm not surprised. YOU are the one that brought up the number 30, not me. I guess you haven't the capacity to remember that, though.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
lmao I'm an idiot?

You need to ask? :evil3:

roflmao You poor, myopic "man". Look, you are the one arguing that Canada has an equally accessible healthcare system for everyone. I have shown that is not true.

Yes I would have to say that you are clearly an idiot to think that equally accessable means convenient for those who go out of their way to make it inconvenient for them to get to a hospital. This is all you have shown here.

It only has the policy to provide this, but it can't deliver on its policy. Healthcare is NOT equal nor equally accessible everywhere in Canada. Where people live is irrelevant. Need a simpler picture or can you grasp the idea now?

You must be acting this stupid on purpose. No you can't go live in some remote area in Canada and then demand the same speed of service someone in a major centre would expect.

That it's physically impossible to provide that sort of service, it's astounding that you actually thing it's your right of privelege to have it. I rest my case on the who idiot thing.:roll:

BTW, I suggested you grow up because of your childishness in name-calling.

Name calling was the first thing you did in your reply.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You need to ask? :evil3:
Apparently, you have no idea what a rhetorical question is.

Yes I would have to say that you are clearly an idiot to think that equally accessable means convenient for those who go out of their way to make it inconvenient for them to get to a hospital. This is all you have shown here.
You have no idea what I've shown.

You must be acting this stupid on purpose. No you can't go live in some remote area in Canada and then demand the same speed of service someone in a major centre would expect.

That it's physically impossible to provide that sort of service, it's astounding that you actually thing it's your right of privelege to have it. I rest my case on the who idiot thing.:roll:
Well, then convince the government to give up on its policy then. I didn't make it up. It claims equal service to all Canadians, it fails to deliver. As far as my demanding it goes, you ASSume to know that's my intention. It isn't. I am simply pointing out that the concept is unachievable. You are simply twisting my argument to fit your own agenda of ridiculing me. What a vengeful and petty thing to do.

Name calling was the first thing you did in your reply.
:roll: I'm sorry I called you a "man".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Niflmir, I think Canada is a bit of an oddball among developed countries, in having government only health care (not that there is anything wrong with it, it works pretty well). All the other developed countries have a mix of public and private.

I personally would not be opposed to some private involvement in the health care, if done properly.

In Canada most of the lab work and x-rays have been done by private companies for years. We just have to keep out the American health insurance companies. As soon as they start calling the shots, we are lost.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
In Canada most of the lab work and x-rays have been done by private companies for years. We just have to keep out the American health insurance companies. As soon as they start calling the shots, we are lost.

That is not the point, Juan. Even if private labs do the work, they still bill the government, so it is not really private medicine. In most developed countries, public and private sectors compete in providing the same services. Private sector can provide the services faster (for a fee).

We don’t have that in Canada, there is no private sector. If government covers a particular medical service, private insurance sector is not permitted to cover the same service. It is only where government does not pay for a service, does not cover a service, that private sector may step in.

That is not really private sector involvement. In all the other countries, there is an overlap between public and private sectors. In Canada, there is no such overlap. Canada is an oddball.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That is not the point, Juan. Even if private labs do the work, they still bill the government, so it is not really private medicine. In most developed countries, public and private sectors compete in providing the same services. Private sector can provide the services faster (for a fee).

We don’t have that in Canada, there is no private sector. If government covers a particular medical service, private insurance sector is not permitted to cover the same service. It is only where government does not pay for a service, does not cover a service, that private sector may step in.

That is not really private sector involvement. In all the other countries, there is an overlap between public and private sectors. In Canada, there is no such overlap. Canada is an oddball.

As far as the Unions are concerned contracting out is privatization. That is the biggest complication to health care.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I don't know what the hell it is then. Private labs and x-ray companies are competing with publically funded hospital labs and x-ray departments.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don't know what the hell it is then. Private labs and x-ray companies are competing with publically funded hospital labs and x-ray departments.

Well yes, but my understanding is that private labs still charge the government, they do not charge the patient or a private insurance company. In other countries, where public and private coexist, private labs would charge the patient directly (if he has no private insurance) or to the insurance company (if he does).

When it comes to deciding whether it is public or private, the ultimate criteria is where does the money come from, from public purse or private funds.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Let me give an example of how private system works (e.g. in Britain). For cataract surgery, in our area there is a waiting list of four weeks. So once the ophthalmologist determines that you need the surgery, you will be scheduled four weeks from now.

But let us say that you want it done earlier. Then in Britain, you could go to a private hospital and get it scheduled much earlier, perhaps the very next day. Then if you had private insurance say, with BUPA (when I lived in UK, BUPA was the biggest private insurance company), then BUPA would pay for it (you may have to copay depending upon your contract with BUPA). If you don’t have private insurance, you could pay out of your own pocket if you could afford it(and if you want to do it the very next day).

This would be an alternative to getting it done four weeks later for free with NHS. This is how private medicine works. Most developed countries have such an alternative, Canada doesn’t. In Canada, you cannot buy insurance for cataract surgery, since it is covered by the government. You probably wouldn’t be able to find a doctor who would do the surgery for you, even if you are willing to pay out of your own pocket. For the doctor to do that, he would have to completely opt out of health plan, never charge anything to government. That is not a realistic option for the doctor. Your only option would be to go to USA and get it done.

So the alternative that is available in most developed countries is not available in Canada. In that respect, Canada is an oddball.