Physicist Stephen Hawking tells US to stop attacking British health service

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Doctors here are overloaded with patients and there are people that don't have a family physician. They use those walkin clinics.

Doctors are overloaded everywhere, Anna, not just in rural areas. In Ontario there is a shortage of Family doctors almost everywhere. 15 or 20 years ago the shortage was restricted to mostly rural areas. The Golden Horseshoe (the area between Toronto and Niagara) has plenty of doctors. But the situation has changed dramatically in the past 10 to 15 years, many old doctors have retired and new Family Physicians have not taken their place.

In Ontario, any Family Physician could set up practice almost anywhere and have more than enough patients in about six months. My wife’s practice was full after six months, she stopped taking new patients. She hasn’t opened up her practice for years, now she only takes new patients if they are relatives of existing patients (and even then not always).

So as mentioned before, healthcare in Canada is fine, but only if you live in a city. That's hardly what I would call a good situation.

Again, that is the situation in most countries; Canada is not unique in that respect.
Aren't you the one who was trying to convice everyone that Canadian healthcare was the model of excellence? lmao Can we say "flipflop"?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oh there is always room for improvement but there is no pleasing some people.
There's also no point in trying to get people to use any sense either. They just stubbornly keep being apologists for screwups.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I forget Obama's daughters' names too, but then again, it is his private life, isn't it?
Some Canadians couldn't really give two hoots who Harpy is married to, let alone the names of his kids, either.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
According to the WHO's ranking in 2000,(The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems), Canada's Health Care ranked 30th worldwide:

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada

Why would the US be stupid enough to try to model its system on the Canadian one? The Canadian one is barely two-tier, mostly socialized. The best ones have proven to be two-tier systems. If the US were smart, it would be looking abroad to better models. Then again, if Canadians weren't so dogmatic, we'd be looking abroad too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
According to the WHO's ranking in 2000,(The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems), Canada's Health Care ranked 30th worldwide:

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada

Why would the US be stupid enough to try to model its system on the Canadian one? The Canadian one is barely two-tier, mostly socialized. The best ones have proven to be two-tier systems. If the US were smart, it would be looking abroad to better models. Then again, if Canadians weren't so dogmatic, we'd be looking abroad too.
Yep. I can't see any reason here for Canada to improve.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Oh, but I thought Canada's system of minimal private sector intervention was the best model? hey, what's a few lives if it allows us to maintain the ideological purity of our healthcare system. After all, we must serve the ideology, not the other way around.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We certainly wouldn't want to support a two-tier system; that would just make us right-wingnuts like the French and Singaporeans.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Individual responsibility for one's health is one such argument. Why should the teetotaller pay for the drinker's liver?

That is how insurance works, Machjo. If teetotaler comes down with cancer (it can happen to anybody), why should the drinker pay for it?

That is the definition of universal health care. Everybody pays, and everybody is covered. The alternative is American type Devil take the hindmost type of system. In USA, the type of health care you get mostly depends upon your ability to pay.

Both France's and Singapores are two-tier systems, though granted so is Canada's to a certain degree.

They all (except Canadian system) involve both public and private involvement. Canadian system does not involve private money. The services that are paid for by the government, you cannot buy private insurance for those services. You can but private insurance for services that are not covered by the public plan. That is not the same as two tier system.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
But there are arguements between pure medicare and two-tier. The best systems in the world are two-tier according to the WHO (see links above).

Sure there are. What I said is that there are no arguments for not covering everybody. Whether it is public only as in Canada, or a blend of public and private (as in other counties), everybody must be covered.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I forget Obama's daughters' names too, but then again, it is his private life, isn't it?

I can understand you forgetting their names, Machjo. There is no excuse for Americans to forget their names. They have been in the news a lot, and they are still in the news, from time to time.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Aren't you the one who was trying to convice everyone that Canadian healthcare was the model of excellence? lmao Can we say "flipflop"?

I never said that, Anna. Sure there are problems with the Canadian system, as there are with almost every system. What I said was that overall, it is a very good system (in spite of the isolated problems), and Canadians who trash it don’t know what they are talking about. I stand by that.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Some Canadians couldn't really give two hoots who Harpy is married to, let alone the names of his kids, either.

In Canada we have different system, Anna. We leave the private life of our leaders alone (and a good thing too). I don’t know the name of Harper’s wife, how many kids they have, what are their names etc.

However, in USA they make the private life of their president public; they let it all hang out. I know a lot about the private life of Obama (his mother’s name, his father was a Kenyan etc.). I know nothing about private life of Harper (which is as it should be, in my opinion).

There is no excuse for an American not to know the details of the private life of their president.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I never said that, Anna. Sure there are problems with the Canadian system, as there are with almost every system. What I said was that overall, it is a very good system (in spite of the isolated problems), and Canadians who trash it don’t know what they are talking about. I stand by that.
Where you stand depends upon where you sit, I think.
I don't feel like snooping though your posts to find where you said there was nothing wrong with Canada's healthcare, but you said it. You wouldn't admit it even if I did pull up the post.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In Canada we have different system, Anna. We leave the private life of our leaders alone (and a good thing too). I don’t know the name of Harper’s wife, how many kids they have, what are their names etc.

However, in USA they make the private life of their president public; they let it all hang out. I know a lot about the private life of Obama (his mother’s name, his father was a Kenyan etc.). I know nothing about private life of Harper (which is as it should be, in my opinion).

There is no excuse for an American not to know the details of the private life of their president.
"System"? We have a "system" for knowing who the family members of pols are? And it's different than the American "system"? Yeah, our newsmedia are completely different than the Americans'. lmao

"Prime minister-designate Stephen Harper, at age 46, has two children with his wife Laureen Teskey. Their son Ben is nine and daughter Rachel is six. " - Harper family's arrival means new kids on the block

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"System"? We have a "system" for knowing who the family members of pols are? And it's different than the American "system"? Yeah, our newsmedia are completely different than the Americans'. lmao

They most certainly are. They leave the private life of the PM alone; they don’t go after the wife, kids etc.

This is in total contrast to the American system. They go after the families even in the primaries. Once a candidate wins the nomination, all of his private life is left to hang out in the open. The names of Obama’s daughter, Sasha and Malia, were common knowledge once he became the candidate. As I said, I still don’t know how many kids Harper has or their names.

The two systems are totally different. While an average Canadian probably wouldn’t know the names of PM’s kids, there is no excuse for an American not to know the names of President’s kids (Whether it is Bush or Obama).

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
They most certainly are. They leave the private life of the PM alone; they don’t go after the wife, kids etc.

This is in total contrast to the American system. They go after the families even in the primaries. Once a candidate wins the nomination, all of his private life is left to hang out in the open. The names of Obama’s daughter, Sasha and Malia, were common knowledge once he became the candidate. As I said, I still don’t know how many kids Harper has or their names.

The two systems are totally different. While an average Canadian probably wouldn’t know the names of PM’s kids, there is no excuse for an American not to know the names of President’s kids (Whether it is Bush or Obama).
Baloney. The mainstream newsmedia are the mainstream newsmedia. Canadians are just as hungry for celebrity as Americans.

Last edited: