Obscure Canwest Canspell Words

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hey Anna, it's a nice beautiful sunny day out.............BE NICE.:lol::lol::lol:
lol It's gloomy over here, but I'm in a pretty good mood. I didn't suggest you'd cheat, you know. I was suggesting you wouldn't cheat.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
lol It's gloomy over here, but I'm in a pretty good mood. I didn't suggest you'd cheat, you know. I was suggesting you wouldn't cheat.

Oh, I know that, sometimes when people say one thing about one person they are inferring the opposite about another person, silly old me should have known you wouldn't do that. Please help me out before I go nuts.......... Who is S.P.A.? I see those initials all the time but they don't ring a bell.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oh, I know that, sometimes when people say one thing about one person they are inferring the opposite about another person, silly old me should have known you wouldn't do that.
Nah, not me. lol
Please help me out before I go nuts.......... Who is S.P.A.? I see those initials all the time but they don't ring a bell.
The nearest I can figure is that SPA stands for Sir Pompass, but I may be wrong.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I love Readers' Digest and often test myself in the Word definition section, but in all respect R.D. caters to the general population including those whose reading ability at about a grade 4 level, and to those people "berm" could well be obscure. (I don't score quite as high as S.J.)

As a yearly subscriber to RD, I must take acception to your comment about the grade level you mentioned. I am quite sure it must be at least grade 8 as I seem to be able to score between 18 and 20 quite consistently. lol :lol:

Here's a word for you straight from the pages of RD's December issue.

kinara - Kwanza
A. candle holder
B. ceremonial head scarf
C. religious dance.

No cheating now. :lol::lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As a yearly subscriber to RD, I must take acception to your comment about the grade level you mentioned. I am quite sure it must be at least grade 8 as I seem to be able to score between 18 and 20 quite consistently. lol :lol:

Here's a word for you straight from the pages of RD's December issue.

kinara - Kwanza
A. candle holder
B. ceremonial head scarf
C. religious dance.

No cheating now. :lol::lol:

I wouldn't have an inkling but since it's a hyphenated word I'd have to guess the religious dance.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I wouldn't have an inkling but since it's a hyphenated word I'd have to guess the religious dance.

A. A seven-candle holder that is a Kwanza symbol of ancestry; as, Kinara candles are red, green, and black - the colors of Kwanza. Swahili.

Even I didn't get that one. lol ;-);-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A. A seven-candle holder that is a Kwanza symbol of ancestry; as, Kinara candles are red, green, and black - the colors of Kwanza. Swahili.

That's even more obscure than Pompass's missing day. lol

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
A word that is obscure to some, is totally run-of-the-mill to others.

I'm surprised that anyone finds 'berm' obscure, but the world is a big place.

Readers’ Digest says it is obscure, and dictionary on the Microsoft Word agrees (it is a very extensive, large dictionary). The Word spell checker does not recognize it. That is good enough for me.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

That would have been my guess, Mowich. The word ‘kinara’ sounds similar to the word ‘menorah', which refers to the candle arrangement used in the Jewish festival (Hanukkah). So that is what I would have guessed (though I didn’t know the word, of course). But in Reader’s Digest quiz, I very likely would have got the right answer.

And yes I agree with you, standard of Reader’s Digest English tends to be pretty high. I guess those who are trashing Reader’s Digest here are probably those who also do poorly on the Word Power quiz.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Mowich, I remember you mention that you don’t have a broadband connection, only a dial up. Internet is very slow with dial up, so my guess is that you don’t waste a lot of time with internet and do plenty of reading instead.

I a voracious reader myself. I have found that if you read a lot, you vocabulary increases automatically, without trying.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I find that RD caters to middle aged, right wing Christians, and I'm fairly surprised that a certain poster would admit to reading it.

I don’t’ know, TenPenny, I have always found reader’s Digest to be an interesting read. But then some of my tastes can only be described as right wing.

For instance, classical music and Gilbert and Sullivan are predominantly favored by right wingers. It is just as well we don’t discuss politics at the Gilbert and Sullivan festival. Sir Gilbert himself was a right winger, even for his times.

I remember reading a few years ago in Time, that the late William Rehnquist (former Chief Justice of US Supreme Court) was a great fan of G & S. That almost made me question my taste in G & S, in my opinion, the guy was a right wing nut.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I a voracious reader myself. I have found that if you read a lot, you vocabulary increases automatically, without trying.

However, the evidence presented suggests that it does nothing for one's ability to write.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Readers’ Digest says it is obscure, and dictionary on the Microsoft Word agrees (it is a very extensive, large dictionary). The Word spell checker does not recognize it. That is good enough for me.

S.J. One of my first rules of life is "there is an exception to every rule", and this is one of them. To the vast majority of the population "berm" is not an obscure word, as the vast majority of the posters here have tried to tell you. In fact it has many different uses in many walks of life - flood control, city planning, mining, earth retention, noise attenuation, stream rehabillitation. Why can't you just let go of the fact that "you know everything" and accept what people are trying to tell you once in awhile?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don’t’ know, TenPenny, I have always found reader’s Digest to be an interesting read. But then some of my tastes can only be described as right wing.

For instance, classical music and Gilbert and Sullivan are predominantly favored by right wingers. It is just as well we don’t discuss politics at the Gilbert and Sullivan festival. Sir Gilbert himself was a right winger, even for his times.

I remember reading a few years ago in Time, that the late William Rehnquist (former Chief Justice of US Supreme Court) was a great fan of G & S. That almost made me question my taste in G & S, in my opinion, the guy was a right wing nut.

Is there nothing in life that you can enjoy without politicizing it? 95% of what's going on in the world has nothing to do with politics and 95% of the people involved really don't care a whit about politics.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
S.J. One of my first rules of life is "there is an exception to every rule", and this is one of them. To the vast majority of the population "berm" is not an obscure word, as the vast majority of the posters here have tried to tell you. In fact it has many different uses in many walks of life - flood control, city planning, mining, earth retention, noise attenuation, stream rehabillitation. Why can't you just let go of the fact that "you know everything" and accept what people are trying to tell you once in awhile?

I've known the word berm all my life. Between farming and the oil patch, I don't know a single person who wouldn't know what I meant if I told them something was 'just on the other side of the berm'.