Obscure Canwest Canspell Words

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Does anyone know which edition of R.D. published that nonsense?

I read it in a doctor’s or dentist’s office JLM, a while ago. But it may be years old, you know how old some of these magazines are. When my wife opened her office, the first day the office was open, several old RD, MacLean’s, Time, Chatelaine etc, issues mysteriously appeared in the office. I didn’t ask where she got them.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if the issue is ten years old or even older. But if you contact RD, perhaps they may be able to tell you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I read it in a doctor’s or dentist’s office JLM, a while ago. But it may be years old, you know how old some of these magazines are. When my wife opened her office, the first day the office was open, several old RD, MacLean’s, Time, Chatelaine etc, issues mysteriously appeared in the office. I didn’t ask where she got them.

So it wouldn’t surprise me if the issue is ten years old or even older. But if you contact RD, perhaps they may be able to tell you.

Anecdotal, none of that is worth anything.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ooooooooooooh not so fast. Berm is a word that has picked up momentum over the years, so if the R.D. was ancient, perhaps at the time of publication the word was still obscure.

I believe the anecdotal, in this case, is in reference to Porter's story of how he came to discover berm was an obscure word. It's not good enough for anyone else ... but seeing as it's uttered by Potty, it's gold.

The word has been a big one in the Pits and Quarries Act for at least three decades ... so that RD must have been stapled....

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I believe the anecdotal, in this case, is in reference to Porter's story of how he came to discover berm was an obscure word. It's not good enough for anyone else ... but seeing as it's uttered by Potty, it's gold.

The word has been a big one in the Pits and Quarries Act for at least three decades ... so that RD must have been stapled....
.... or scrolled. lol
berm "narrow ledge," 1729, from Fr. berme (17c.), from O.Du. baerm "edge of a dike," related to brim (q.v.). In U.S., 19c., "the bank of a canal opposite the tow path."
- Online etymology dictionary.

Maybe people quit using canals for a while and the word died for that length of time? Same with dikes?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Quite so; that was my intent.

Unfortunately, my lagniappe must have had a hole in it, so now I must away to the repair depot.