Obscure Canwest Canspell Words

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Au contraire, methinks. AS the world gets more crowded there will be more of them for noise attenuation and protection from flying "missiles":lol::lol::lol:

You could be right.......Maybe if we built really big berms....We could drop them on selected politicians...;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I mentioned the word 'berm' in passing, as an example of obscure words. I never thought it would generate so much interest.
That's because you ASSumed it was obscure when it isn't really. But a lot of facts are obscured from your view. lol

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I mentioned the word 'berm' in passing, as an example of obscure words. I never thought it would generate so much interest.

I think it was more of a case of several of us being surprised that there is someone in this day and age that wasn't aware of the word or meaning.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Then I suppose you have never heard of 'sine die' either?

There are a lot of Latin and Ancient Greek terms used in legal and medical applications. Because they are "dead" languages their meanings aren't subject corruption like our dynamic languages. (I suppose the writers of "Deck the Halls" wouldn't have included "don we now our gay apparel" had they seen the future).

The definition of sine die would be less likely to be misinterpreted when used in LOU's and contracts, as well as an adjournment when it may not be known when counsel will get their sh*t together. Subsituting something like "indefinately" could eventually lead to lengthy legal wrangling long after the fact where the drafters of a contract or ruling are no longer around to clarify their intent.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
There are a lot of Latin and Ancient Greek terms used in legal and medical applications. Because they are "dead" languages their meanings aren't subject corruption like our dynamic languages. (I suppose the writers of "Deck the Halls" wouldn't have included "don we now our gay apparel" had they seen the future).

The definition of sine die would be less likely to be misinterpreted when used in LOU's and contracts, as well as an adjournment when it may not be known when counsel will get their sh*t together. Subsituting something like "indefinately" could eventually lead to lengthy legal wrangling long after the fact where the drafters of a contract or ruling are no longer around to clarify their intent.

That may be, but the term ‘sine die’ is frequently used in legal or Parliamentary business. Just two days ago I was watching the movie about Scopes Monkey Trial (this is Darwin week on the Vision channel). I was surprised when the judge used that phrase at the and of the kangaroo trial.

Even though it was a kangaroo court, the judge adjourned the court (after finding the teacher guilty of teaching evolution), ‘This court is adjourned, sine die.”

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think it was more of a case of several of us being surprised that there is someone in this day and age that wasn't aware of the word or meaning.

It is an obscure word JLM, according to Reader’s Digest (and I agree with Reader’s Digest). Whenever I am waiting at the doctor, dentist, hospital etc., I always go for Reader’s Digest and look up the Word Power section. Normally I get 18 or 19 right out of 20 (I suppose that is why I like the section).

Anyway, this one issue said let us see how good you are at obscure words. There they had mentioned ‘berm’ (they had also mentioned words like ‘rodomontade’, or ‘lagniappe’, but I knew those). Anyway, normally I get 18 or 19 out of 20 correct, that day I got 10 correct.

So yes it is an obscure word, mostly those who are involved in that trade or profession would know about it.

Incidentally, my word processor does not recognize the word ‘berm’ (probably yours doesn’t recognize it as well, try it). So it is an obscure word.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A word that is obscure to some, is totally run-of-the-mill to others.

I'm surprised that anyone finds 'berm' obscure, but the world is a big place.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is an obscure word JLM, according to Reader’s Digest (and I agree with Reader’s Digest). Whenever I am waiting at the doctor, dentist, hospital etc., I always go for Reader’s Digest and look up the Word Power section. Normally I get 18 or 19 right out of 20 (I suppose that is why I like the section).

Anyway, this one issue said let us see how good you are at obscure words. There they had mentioned ‘berm’ (they had also mentioned words like ‘rodomontade’, or ‘lagniappe’, but I knew those). Anyway, normally I get 18 or 19 out of 20 correct, that day I got 10 correct.

So yes it is an obscure word, mostly those who are involved in that trade or profession would know about it.

Incidentally, my word processor does not recognize the word ‘berm’ (probably yours doesn’t recognize it as well, try it). So it is an obscure word.

Well I guess if Readers' Digest says it's "obscure" then it's obscure making the definition of obscure rather obscure.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A word that is obscure to some, is totally run-of-the-mill to others.

I'm surprised that anyone finds 'berm' obscure, but the world is a big place.

I love Readers' Digest and often test myself in the Word definition section, but in all respect R.D. caters to the general population including those whose reading ability at about a grade 4 level, and to those people "berm" could well be obscure. (I don't score quite as high as S.J.)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I love Readers' Digest and often test myself in the Word definition section, but in all respect R.D. caters to the general population including those whose reading ability at about a grade 4 level, and to those people "berm" could well be obscure. (I don't score quite as high as S.J.)

I find that RD caters to middle aged, right wing Christians, and I'm fairly surprised that a certain poster would admit to reading it.

I enjoy the word quiz, too. I don't feel any need to brag about how well I do (or don't do), however. Like masturbation, it's for my own enjoyment only.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That may be, but the term ‘sine die’ is frequently used in legal or Parliamentary business. Just two days ago I was watching the movie about Scopes Monkey Trial (this is Darwin week on the Vision channel). I was surprised when the judge used that phrase at the and of the kangaroo trial.

Even though it was a kangaroo court, the judge adjourned the court (after finding the teacher guilty of teaching evolution), ‘This court is adjourned, sine die.”
So? I'd bet that the word "berm" is used much more frequently than "sine die" simply because there are more fields that use the term than there are fields that use "sine die".

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lmao If Reader's Digest is your reference guide, it's no wonder you are wrong a lot.

aaawwww It must have been a horrible day for you.

So yes it is an obscure word,
Apparently to you and Reader's Digest anyway. lmao
mostly those who are involved in that trade or profession would know about it.
That would be "those trades and professions". There's a difference between "berm" and "sine die" right there. "Berm" is used by people in multiple trades and professions. "Sine die" is used by people in a profession, law.

lmao and Microsoft is an authority on the English language in your view now? roflmao I suppose you'll say that "Cracked" magazine or Reggie the Rapper are authorities, too. 8O