Nudity and the Western World..

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I believe that our neighbours to the south are a lot more uptight about anything related to sex and nudity than us Cannuks.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
riiiiiiiiiight:roll:

Nevada.

For every Nevada there is a North Dakota. Recently police were thinking of prosecuting a shopkeeper in that state for obscenity. The crime - leaving a female manikin in the window of the shop without clothing.

However, haven't you noticed the continual pixilating of images on US TV? It is everywhere. On one talk show a doll was pixilated as was a scene from a village in Africa where nude villagers were pictured in a display similar to National Geographic. And these are late night shows that don't come on until after midnight.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Re: National Topless Day Venice Beach.. Equality or Immorality?

Maybe this thread should be merged with the Nudity and the Western World Thread. Seems to be pretty much about the same thing.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
For every Nevada there is a North Dakota. Recently police were thinking of prosecuting a shopkeeper in that state for obscenity. The crime - leaving a female manikin in the window of the shop without clothing.

However, haven't you noticed the continual pixilating of images on US TV? It is everywhere. On one talk show a doll was pixilated as was a scene from a village in Africa where nude villagers were pictured in a display similar to National Geographic. And these are late night shows that don't come on until after midnight.

What's worse is when you have news reports or regular shows in the US blur out cleavage or ass cracks.... sometimes if you have someone showing a little butt cheek through the bottom of some short.... er..... shorts, they blur that as well..... as if the viewers at home or even their children for that matter, haven't seen that while walking down the street or when the plumber came over.

The thing is that those things aren't even illegal or immoral.... they're not nipples or genitals..... nobody has their ass spread to the camera exposing their anus...... it's just some girl wearing a normal top, or someone walking by with their pants or shots being a little droopy..... but they have to shelter their viewers from such evilness....... all the while the following show unloads explosions, shootings, people being murdered, crime scene investigations, wars and ghetto gangs. :-?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What I found appalling was the warning on a show I watched once that it contained 'scenes of nudity and sexuality'. The nudity was a corpse. I'm sorry, I really don't care that it was naked, I care that it was a ****ING CORPSE people. When did we hit the point where nudity is more appalling than death?

commonsense

Time Out
Aug 25, 2010
They have their eye on the big picture.

If we acknowledge a "make love not war" reality, then how could we possibly produce all the soldiers we require, to invade independent countries?

Karma speaks loudly. When we run out of soldiers, then what will we do?

We are jepordizing our own national security and we don't even understand it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What I found appalling was the warning on a show I watched once that it contained 'scenes of nudity and sexuality'. The nudity was a corpse. I'm sorry, I really don't care that it was naked, I care that it was a ****ING CORPSE people. When did we hit the point where nudity is more appalling than death?

CSI?

I get more queasy watching and hearing everything in slow and very graphic motion as a bullet takes a leisurely trip through a virtual body....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

When we let religious fanatics rule our lives.
It is rather pathetic when TV regularly has shows with murder and body parts flying every which way but cannot show topless women for fear of retaliation by the thought police.

Ever go to Wreck Beach? There are some people that probably should cover up but it is their right to be naked. Then there are always men usually 40ish with big bellies, speedos and cameras walking around. Sickos.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
it does make sense, not everyone is the same. some people out there have less acceptance of things than others. now what creates that level of acceptance? that's another story.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Reminds me of when I watched Trailer Park Boys on Showcase.... During the daytime, after every commercial break they'd disclaim that the show contained "Violence, Nudity, Sexuality and Course Language.... Viewer Discretion is Advised."

The course language was beeped out the whole time (making 90% of the episode nothing but beeps) there was no nudity, let alone any sexuality. Perhaps in one or two episodes out of the entire series perhaps you'd have someone's ass showing, but it was blurred, and in regards to sexuality, I can only think of the incident where J-Rock was caught masturbating to dirty magazines..... but nothing was shown, just hinted..... so wtf was with the excessive warnings placed on every episode?

Was someone at Showcase just lazy, couldn't be bothered and just branded all of them as the worst things on the planet? :-?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Some things to remember:

- North America is not the Western World, just a part of it
- we all have bodies
- seeing a naked human form does no lasting damage to anyone and if you find it truly offensive, you can LOOK SOME OTHER DIRECTION (and if you're driving, stop gawking at pedestrians and pay attention to the damned road!)

Too many prudish busy bodies need to STFU and mind their own business. If my infant son was hungry, he couldn't just pop into McDonalds, he had to have Mommy Milk: him eating should be as offensive as anyone else eating (and yes the health care professionals are pretty much unanimous that it IS better than formula). Most swimsuits and many other pieces of modern apparel leave little to the imagination anyway, so if someone wants to take it all off in public, then the prudes need to get over it: shouldn't the fundies actually rejoice in what "god" created rather than the clothing man did? This isn't Saudi Arabia or some other fundamentalist hellhole; we don't live under Sharia law or any similarly restrictive code.