Nudity and the Western World..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Re: National Topless Day Venice Beach.. Equality or Immorality?

well some people out there are very conservative and it would take almost to the point of threatening them in order to get them to allow it.

'get them to allow it'. See, that's the fun part about civil liberties and human rights. You have to have a REASON not to allow me to sunbathe topless. And the Bible doesn't cut it. You getting a chub over the mere sight of breasts doesn't cut it. There are certain things in life that get to happen no matter how it offends someone else's sensibilities. And, the mere fact that someone DOES get their panties up in a knot, isn't a reason to stop it from happening.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

'get them to allow it'. See, that's the fun part about civil liberties and human rights. You have to have a REASON not to allow me to sunbathe topless. And the Bible doesn't cut it. You getting a chub over the mere sight of breasts doesn't cut it. There are certain things in life that get to happen no matter how it offends someone else's sensibilities. And, the mere fact that someone DOES get their panties up in a knot, isn't a reason to stop it from happening.

Agreed..... there are of course, logical places where going topless wouldn't be a good idea, like working at a deli with those slicing machines.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Oh my gosh I forgot about topless...

It's so common around where I live I didn't realize there were still places who frowned on it.... Europe has been topless for ages and I thought Canadians favored that freedom. I find it strange the breast is one of the first body parts we all
utilize when we are babies...we should feel up close and personal with them - nothing
wrong there.

Tell you the truth - many women still opt for the top bra to wear because their breasts aren't in the best form and the uplift gives them a better appearance -

Also there is talk about the threat of UVRays on the nipple skin of the breast being uber sensitive to sun...
I've always worn a top after one particularly terrible case of sunburn and it wasn't worth the pain.

So- it's sort of do whatever you want and strangely enough most of the male population don't seem to be changed
in any way - even the younger guys - perhaps it's just something else people get used to.

I'm talking about family beaches too - kids have no inhibitions unless it is created by the adult group.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Hardly anyone was phased by the toplessness in Nice. Kids, old folks, young moms. I got a few second looks but that's the 'Canadian glow' factor I suspect. I don't think they could have burned if I'd wanted them to, they were so effective at reflecting the sun. lol.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

I think there have been a couple of cases (at least one) that made it to provincial supreme court. At least in Ontario, women's right to go topless is unquestionable. Nudity is not topless, so nude beaches are a different story.

Recently, in Rome (like 2 days ago) a woman complained to the police about a woman going around topless. The woman said that this topless lady was corrupting her children. The police were baffled, they politefully informed the woman that women are well within their right to go topless. Italians cannot understand the big deal, surely the children see their mother's breasts all the time?

Me personally, I like the East German attitude. There something called FKK (frei Koerper-Kultur) exists in many areas. It isn't everywhere, but simultaneously, nobody complains if you take all your clothes off to change at a beach.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Karrie you brat - did you write Bonjour!! on them???? :)

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Karrie you brat - did you write Bonjour!! on them???? :)

lol, I missed that joke on the first pass through.

Actually you made a good point Curiosity. Some people look better in the bikini. In that case maybe it is more indecent to continue wearing the bikini!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Oh my gosh I forgot about topless...

It's so common around where I live I didn't realize there were still places who frowned on it.... Europe has been topless for ages and I thought Canadians favored that freedom. I find it strange the breast is one of the first body parts we all
utilize when we are babies...we should feel up close and personal with them - nothing
wrong there.

Except that they're my Mom's breasts, HELLO?! Blech :lol:

Tell you the truth - many women still opt for the top bra to wear because their breasts aren't in the best form and the uplift gives them a better appearance -

Also there is talk about the threat of UVRays on the nipple skin of the breast being uber sensitive to sun...
I've always worn a top after one particularly terrible case of sunburn and it wasn't worth the pain.

So- it's sort of do whatever you want and strangely enough most of the male population don't seem to be changed
in any way - even the younger guys - perhaps it's just something else people get used to.

I'm talking about family beaches too - kids have no inhibitions unless it is created by the adult group.

True about the parents comment..... our hangups are usually built around our own parent's hangups.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

The only reason women can't go topless or for that matter why anyone can't go nude is because the US is overflowing with uptight religious zealots that think their wacko religious rules should apply to everyone.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

I'm really glad to see much of our modern society is getting over nudity and body hangups.

It always seemed kinda phony to me - like it was reserved for "special people" or something when we
were all of us born nude.

Praxius

Yup your first dinner dates were with mom blech or not haha....

Karrie

If you can fit that whole description on your mammaries girl congrats to ya!!!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

but that's the whole thing, it's not the norm.

the video proves it. those older guys protesting against the women. saying all the Christianity stuff about it.

it would take generations for it to become the norm.

One generation ago it was the "norm" to smoke in Movie Theatres & Hospital
Waiting Rooms, It was the "norm" to start out the school day with The Lords
Prayer & God save the Queen & Oh Canada. It was the "norm" to not bother
locking your doors at night in many Canadian cities & towns. It was the "norm"
to see rifle-racks in the back windows of trucks (& not just empty racks either).

I think things would become "normalized" faster than you might believe.