Now this is a real attempt, to control the media...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You know, I really hate being right all the time...

The Ontario Provincial Police aren't laying charges in a leak about the 1996 visit to a massage parlour that found NDP Leader Jack Layton inside.
The police force was investigating the information leak about the 1996 incident at the request of the Toronto Police Service, whose officers raided a suspected bawdy house posing as a massage parlour in 1996.

No charges in Layton massage parlour leak - Politics - CBC News

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You hate being right all the time.

I hate being so brilliant and charming.

We all have our crosses to bear. ;)

I know for me it's this damn rapier wit coupled with my dashing good looks.
If I weren't so humble I would seem obnoxious.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You hate being right all the time.

I hate being so brilliant and charming.

We all have our crosses to bear. ;)
And our Bears to cross...

I will admit to one error, and I concede to fact here, the Toronto Police Services, views Officers note books as Police property. Which makes sense, and is in line with what I was told by York regional Police Services.

What got the retired Officer off the hook was, he's retired, lol. I actually wonder what the policy was on notebooks 10-16 years ago.

Anyways, I digress, It looks like the Sun and the Officer are scottfree, and layton is left with two helpings of egg on his face. One for getting caught in a rub and tug (And having heard interviews with several massage therapists, there is no reason you should be fully naked, for a shiatzu), and for trying tio infringe on the freedom of the press.

I hope he learned a lesson.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And our Bears to cross...

I will admit to one error, and I concede to fact here, the Toronto Police Services, views Officers note books as Police property. Which makes sense, and is in line with what I was told by York regional Police Services.

What got the retired Officer off the hook was, he's retired, lol. I actually wonder what the policy was on notebooks 10-16 years ago.

Anyways, I digress, It looks like the Sun and the Officer are scottfree, and layton is left with two helpings of egg on his face. One for getting caught in a rub and tug (And having heard interviews with several massage therapists, there is no reason you should be fully naked, for a shiatzu), and for trying tio infringe on the freedom of the press.

I hope he learned a lesson.
Yes, and it's not like he wasn't in public office at the time either. Regardless of whether he was doing something inappropriate or not (and as I've said before, I really don't care) when you hold public office you need to be keenly aware of even the appearance of inpropriety.

So the retired officer is off the hook because he is retired. If it's a breach of ethics for active police officers to make public their private work notes, then, in my opinion, it's also a unethical for a retired officer.

Just my two cents.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, and it's not like he wasn't in public office at the time either. Regardless of whether he was doing something inappropriate or not (and as I've said before, I really don't care) when you hold public office you need to be keenly aware of even the appearance of inpropriety.

So the retired officer is off the hook because he is retired. If it's a breach of ethics for active police officers to make public their private work notes, then, in my opinion, it's also a unethical for a retired officer.

Just my two cents.
I agree, across the board.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Harper has been doing it for 4 years.

This is the first I've heard of it from the left side of things.

I also think the degree and type of control is much worse on Harper's end - especially as part of the conservative platform.

No political party in Canada 'controls' the media. They may and do, limit media access to their MPs.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are all kinds of things you can't do, and it doesn't restrict national security alone.
One example would be, that a person cannot criticize a specific judge for a ruling on a
specific case, that in any way impugns the reputation of the judge.
Now to get to this case. A media outlet upon due diligence may release a story with some
sketchy details. However if those details turn out to be incorrect or infer there was wrong
doing and there was not it leaves the media outlet open to a lot suit or it can also be
disciplined by the CRTC.
In this case as I read the paper today locally, the police, in fact never contemplated any charges
period. They had no evidence of any wrong doing, and police recommended no charges of any
kind to the Crown Council. The case was for a moment in time mentioned at the time and died.
Therefore, it was a non story. Now as it turns out the name of the officer who wrote the notes is
known and his name was published in the Capital News today, I can't remember his name.
However there is speculation the person who released the information to Sun Media may or may
not have been the same person. On day two of this story it was announced that Layton's Lawyer
was contemplating a law suit, and still are. In addition the RCMP are looking into the matter as a
criminal breach of trust. If the notes did not amount to charges or an ongoing investigation and
are used in this manner, it may or may not be a criminal breach, because those documents are
confidential, as they are investigative notes and not part of the public domain.
I hope the police continue and if found to be a breach they newsperson would have to give the
name of the contact and it goes from there. If a criminal act has been committed there is no
assumption of confidentiality. CDNBear that is what I am talking about.
National Security is not the only material that is kept confidential because if it is not true or is a
breach of civil law it can come back to haunt the person who releases a story without having
proof that someone did something wrong. And that is at it should be.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There are all kinds of things you can't do, and it doesn't restrict national security alone.
One example would be, that a person cannot criticize a specific judge for a ruling on a
specific case, that in any way impugns the reputation of the judge.
Now to get to this case. A media outlet upon due diligence may release a story with some
sketchy details. However if those details turn out to be incorrect or infer there was wrong
doing and there was not it leaves the media outlet open to a lot suit or it can also be
disciplined by the CRTC.
In this case as I read the paper today locally, the police, in fact never contemplated any charges
period. They had no evidence of any wrong doing, and police recommended no charges of any
kind to the Crown Council. The case was for a moment in time mentioned at the time and died.
Therefore, it was a non story. Now as it turns out the name of the officer who wrote the notes is
known and his name was published in the Capital News today, I can't remember his name.
However there is speculation the person who released the information to Sun Media may or may
not have been the same person. On day two of this story it was announced that Layton's Lawyer
was contemplating a law suit, and still are. In addition the RCMP are looking into the matter as a
criminal breach of trust. If the notes did not amount to charges or an ongoing investigation and
are used in this manner, it may or may not be a criminal breach, because those documents are
confidential, as they are investigative notes and not part of the public domain.
I hope the police continue and if found to be a breach they newsperson would have to give the
name of the contact and it goes from there. If a criminal act has been committed there is no
assumption of confidentiality. CDNBear that is what I am talking about.
National Security is not the only material that is kept confidential because if it is not true or is a
breach of civil law it can come back to haunt the person who releases a story without having
proof that someone did something wrong. And that is at it should be.
I never mentioned national security, as it's like comparing apples to mountains. The OPP have already stated that there was no criminal wrong doing. If the RCMP are still investigating, they're wasting tax payers money.

The Toronto Police Services have already stated that the notebooks are property of the Dept. Now. Unless you can provide some evidence, that 10-16 years ago, it was the same policy, you're still blowing hot air.

I can think of 10 books, many of which were written by retired Officers, that relied on their notes, or notes from Officers, that wouldn't have been written, had this rule been around 10-20 years ago.

Something tells me, this policy is rather loose, and it's only an issue now, that an MP was exposed, by them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
...then there is the occasional one who keeps two sets of books :roll: no names....
That's no secret. In fact I know Officers that do that now. One, for quick jotting. The other for neat legible notes for reference. If need be, they provide both. And are quite careful to not change anything, and if they correct spelling or grammar, they make sure to note it and explain it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a long standing law about using material that serves no purpose or determines
no wrong doing, written or not, one in the media has to be careful about what is in and
what is out. This was clearly an old story and there was no wrong doing? Who determines
that? In court it comes down to one definition, "What would a reasonable person believe"
and that is usually decided by a judge. If those allegations are proven against the reporter or
the retired policeman, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
If it were proven that no offence took place and that has been determined, it leaves the issue
of determining a criminal breach of trust which is yet to be determined. As for the reporter,
his problem could result in having to find new employment down the road and it would be
very hard to get back in, remember media is a very closed club and memories are long.
The first fallout has already begun, I understand the cable or satellite network that carried this
station has dropped them. Now why do you really think that happened? Sure ratings is the
number one issue, and that may be true.
If in fact it is for other reasons the reporter would be looking for work. It is how the system works.
Been there seen that and done that. There are others who state the conditions and the way the
system should work, well understand they system has its own rules written and otherwise.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is a long standing law about using material that serves no purpose or determines
no wrong doing, written or not, one in the media has to be careful about what is in and
what is out.
A politician caught in an inappropriate situation isn't news? I can understand your consternation, since you proclaimed the NDP as your party of choice and all. But that doesn't change the fact that this is news to some people.

This was clearly an old story and there was no wrong doing?

Who determines that?
Umm, the OPP. They already closed the case.

In court it comes down to one definition, "What would a reasonable person believe"
And since it was fact and no accusation, you're still blowing hot air.

If those allegations are proven against the reporter or the retired policeman, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
What allegations? The make believe ones you're talking about?
If it were proven that no offence took place and that has been determined, it leaves the issue
of determining a criminal breach of trust which is yet to be determined.
Ya, the OPP already determined that there wasn't one, lol.

The rest of your post, is just more of the same nonsense.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A politician caught in an inappropriate situation isn't news? I can understand your consternation, since you proclaimed the NDP as your party of choice and all. But that doesn't change the fact that this is news to some people.

Yup... ;-) ...mostly by the same people who complain to the right people about "poor orphan bear cubs" .... and the ones who stick their noses into a strip club then complain of Bare Naked Ladies (or the other kind) in the place ... or the ... you know.... The whiners.

Umm, the OPP. They already closed the case.

And since it was fact and no accusation, you're still blowing hot air.

Damn! I'd love to get a wee boo at mine!

What allegations? The make believe ones you're talking about?
Ya, the OPP already determined that there wasn't one, lol.

The rest of your post, is just more of the same nonsense.

...errm.... This is where I walked in.... As you were.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yup... ;-) ...mostly by the same people who complain to the right people about "poor orphan bear cubs" .... and the ones who stick their noses into a strip club then complain of Bare Naked Ladies (or the other kind) in the place ... or the ... you know.... The whiners.
I agree, and they're just as entitled to their opinion, as you or I.

Damn! I'd love to get a wee boo at mine!
Your what?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

I imagine that's the norm for a lot of jobs where notes are taken relating to the law. When I was a fishery observer, my note book was not my own. If DFO decided to press charges, my note book would be taken, so of course there were things that were expected to be documented in the note books. Date, time and port of departure/return, date/time/location of fishing activity, estimated catch yield, species present, even the amount of rock for scallop tows, and of course any correspondence with the Captain or crew related to warnings.

I thought that one trip might bring me to court, unfortunately it didn't, even though the boat had prior discretionary reports written. I wasn't allowed access to the navigation equipment to check our position. Catch per unit effort doubled overnight, and I was given the coordinates at the apparent time the navigation equipment malfunctioned...that was a tense trip for the next two days.