Now this is a real attempt, to control the media...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I would think if a news media had ethics, brains, and could read a copyline, they'd know it was an old story served up for purposes of propaganda - the sort of dirty laundry some folks love to play in....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I would think if a news media had ethics, brains, and could read a copyline, they'd know it was an old story served up for purposes of propaganda - the sort of dirty laundry some folks love to play in....
LW, I'm with you. But that's our opinion.

I'm sure there are people out there that don't see it that way.

But that also, in no way diminishes the fact that Layton attacked freedom of the press.

Something that I find far more repugnant, then him getting a 'happy ending'.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What would you do if some newshack published an old story that might hurt tomorrow's job?
Years ago when SCB and I owned a small bait and tackle, and ice hut rental, I went through the ice in February, on my way back in from checking my huts. I spent 45 minutes in the water. The day after, a reporter called me to talk to me about the ordeal.

I asked him not to run the story. Not because it would hurt my business, I was done, I was already making deals to sell my huts. But because it had the potential to harm the business of other operators.

His answer, and I'm quoting him word for word here..."Are you kidding? It's not every day I get to interview a dead man."

What I like or dislike, is irrelevant. News, is news.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Years ago when SCB and I owned a small bait and tackle, and ice hut rental, I went through the ice in February, on my way back in from checking my huts. I spent 45 minutes in the water. The day after, a reporter called me to talk to me about the ordeal.

I asked him not to run the story. Not because it would hurt my business, I was done, I was already making deals to sell my huts. But because it had the potential to harm the business of other operators.

His answer, and I'm quoting him word for word here..."Are you kidding? It's not every day I get to interview a dead man."

What I like or dislike, is irrelevant. News, is news.
...and OLD news useful only for propaganda is malice.

Jack could have made big with the "poor you" factor had he capitalized on the story. People relate more easily to the victim. He could have used the cancer thing too. Note that he didn't use either. I wonder what the also rans would do.....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
...and OLD news useful only for propaganda is malice.
That's an opinion based on perception.

If I start up another ice hut rental, which I plan to do next year, would it be fair for the local paper to run the story again?

I bet you won't believe what my answer is.

Jack could have made big with the "poor you" factor had he capitalized on the story. People relate more easily to the victim. He could have used the cancer thing too. Note that he didn't use either. I wonder what the also rans would do.....
I'll be honest, it (Getting his freak on in a rub and tug) kind of made me like him a little more. Up until he sought to shut down the press.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sometimes that's a necessity.

The informed findings of a scientist funded by tax payer money is not the same thing as troop movements in Afghanistan. I have no problem whatsoever with protecting troops and civilians.

You think restriction is an attack, I don't. I recognize the necessity of restricting information for various reasons from treaty negotiations, to covert operations.

There's a reason I chose the examples I did. Restricting information unrelated to national security or other necessary reasons such as diplomatic negotiations are not the same thing at all. On balance, the greater good is protecting lives rather than giving someone access to information. Restricting important information that can only hurt someones political control on messaging and framing debates is most certainly an attack on any free-thinking Canadian.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The informed findings of a scientist funded by tax payer money is not the same thing as troop movements in Afghanistan. I have no problem whatsoever with protecting troops and civilians.
And I have no problem paying to see Millers report.

There's a reason I chose the examples I did.
I know.

Restricting information unrelated to national security or other necessary reasons such as diplomatic negotiations are not the same thing at all. On balance, the greater good is protecting lives rather than giving someone access to information. Restricting important information that can only hurt someones political control on messaging and framing debates is most certainly an attack on any free-thinking Canadian.
Again, your opinion. I see it as an abhorrent act by the gov't. Not an attack. Perceptions dude. I'm not saying you're wrong Ton. Hell I partially agree. From my perception, Layton's direct attack, was far worse.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
That's an opinion based on perception.

If I start up another ice hut rental, which I plan to do next year, would it be fair for the local paper to run the story again?

I bet you won't believe what my answer is.

I'll be honest, it (Getting his freak on in a rub and tug) kind of made me like him a little more. Up until he sought to shut down the press.
My answer would be Print it! It might keep stupid people off the ice.... Now, if someone was to publish an article about your bad welds - ignoring the fact it was in high school shops - would you be so enthused with freedom of the press (an American thing)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
You read about this last week? You have a time machine?

Indeed I do.... it's called living in Australia, where we're about a half a day in the future. ;-)

I think the original report I read was at lunch time last Friday, Aussie time, which would have been close to when you guys were heading to bed. The original Sun report was dated April 29th.... which was last week.

If you want, I can also tell you who won the election since it's currently 11:09am on Tuesday, May 3rd.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Indeed I do.... it's called living in Australia, where we're about a half a day in the future. ;-)

I think the original report I read was at lunch time last Friday, Aussie time, which would have been close to when you guys were heading to bed. The original Sun report was dated April 29th.... which was last week.

If you want, I can also tell you who won the election since it's currently 11:09am on Tuesday, May 3rd.
Actually, if you would be so kind as to get back to me Friday noon my time with the 649 draw results, that would be super. ;)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My answer would be Print it! It might keep stupid people off the ice....Now, if someone was to publish an article about your bad welds - ignoring the fact it was in high school shops - would you be so enthused with freedom of the press
Those two examples, are one in the same. I now have a GPS, which means I won't get lost in a snow storm again, and my welds have improved since then. That doesn't change the fact that the report would be fact.

And yes, I would still be enthused about freedom of the press.

(an American thing)

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

Being Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982 [Enacted by the Canada Act 1982 [U.K.] c.11; proclaimed in force April 17, 1982. Amended by the Constitution Amendment Proclamation, 1983, SI/84-102, effective June 21, 1984. Amended by the Constitution Amendment, 1993 [New Brunswick], SI/93-54, Can. Gaz. Part II, April 7, 1993, effective March 12, 1993.]
Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms

RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS IN CANADA. 1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Fundamental Freedoms

FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS. 2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and (d) freedom of association.
I have it nearly memorized LW.

Please tell me it wasn't Jack "Happy ending" Layton.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Actually, if you would be so kind as to get back to me Friday noon my time with the 649 draw results, that would be super. ;)

"GREAT CRIKEY!! Mai'te, you con't go an tell em Ca'nari'kams the Fuch'ya, or'ems will know about ourz Lazer-Goi'ded Dingo Snach'as attack'en them at noon!"

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Those two examples, are one in the same. I now have a GPS, which means I won't get lost in a snow storm again, and my welds have improved since then. That doesn't change the fact that the report would be fact.

And yes, I would still be enthused about freedom of the press.

I have it nearly memorized LW.

Crow ain't all that bad...

It still isn't as free as some would like to be. Publish some hate and see what happens.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Crow ain't all that bad...
Try Franks Red Hot. It covers the gamy flavour, lol.

That's also the reason why I'm very reluctant to disrespect you, btw.

It still isn't as free as some would like to be. Publish some hate and see what happens.
I do not agree with hate speech laws, but I do respect them.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
LOL, I wouldn't be, lol.