Multiculturalism, Fake, and Dead

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Just because it's on TV does not mean it's nationally broadcast. Ad's can easily be substituted out depending on the area you live. What I receive over the public airwaves; meaning, OTA via antenna is not what you see in your neck of the woods. Global Toronto is not the same as Global Calgary, the ad's are different obviously as who would invest money in local ad's if they couldn't control who would see them?

Oh puh-lease. Decent strategy though, bog people down in endless details and lose sight of the big picture.

A&W is not your local pizza parlour or plumbing outfit. They compete with the big boys like Macdonalds, Wendys and other heart atttack affiliated merchants. These are gigantic MNCs, don't whine about minor tech issues.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Oh puh-lease. Decent strategy though, bog people down in endless details and lose sight of the big picture.

A&W is not your local pizza parlour or plumbing outfit. They compete with the big boys like Macdonalds, Wendys and other heart atttack affiliated merchants. These are gigantic MNCs, don't whine about minor tech issues.

I work in a TV broadcast facility and know quite a bit about the subject. You seem to be confusing national advertising campaigns versus local based ones, your lunatic ramblings are quite comical.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I work in a TV broadcast facility and know quite a bit about the subject. You seem to be confusing national advertising campaigns versus local based ones, your lunatic ramblings are quite comical.

I think all the Teen Burgers are affecting his cognitive abilities.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

You have provided no real info on the topic. Just ramblings on what you "think" they did, or could do. Create another thread if you want to talk telco tech. This is like one of many commercials. Try to stay on topic.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You watch this clothing ad by Men's Warehouse and wonder, why does it appear a chubby white man is being rejected by a white couple? Another ad has another woman directing a man into a Men's Warehouse store to buy some proper clothing, like suits.

Then there is the Tim Hortons ad where two couples see a tennis court and compete for it, a compromise is formed and then they eat. No minorities/vismins here either, couldn't be, there is possible tension. Yet so many ads place minorities/vismins in them.

Commercial ad multiculturalsim does not seem to permit the rejection of an African or Asian man in the media. Or a situation of uncertainty such as a possible argument over something. Africans and Asian are always presented as good, working hard types, or having fun, trying or showing they are solid citizens. Not solid enough it appears.

Commercial ad multiculturalism is fake. Nauseating happytalk. Casually dressed Canadian men, gotta wonder about them. It just shows that the recent huge intake of immigrants over the past 20 years have not been integrated into the culture and Canada is not the diverse multicultural paradise we keep hearing about. To be always presented as positive, is not reality, it is fake.

The Men's Warehouse ads can be found here:

‪MensWearhouse's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Uh, did you miss taking your meds?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You have provided no real info on the topic. Just ramblings on what you "think" they did, or could do. Create another thread if you want to talk telco tech. This is like one of many commercials. Try to stay on topic.

What is your topic, A&W? Wanna talk about cheeseburgers?

I already told you about targeted advertising but you insist on believing that it's some sort of conspiracy to make minorities look good.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Uh, did you miss taking your meds?

He misses them alright. If he had a job he could afford them and the love affair could go on.

What is your topic, A&W? Wanna talk about cheeseburgers?
"Tree pippty pies" are my favourite cheese burgers. 2 McD's double cheese burgers comes to $3.55. If you get one of the Flips you can argue that you want burgers not pie and have some good giggles.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
That's not right at all. Everyone can see ads for children's toys, but that doesn't mean the ad is targeting the entire viewing audience. Golf fans as a demographic tend to be older men with large disposable income, hence why ads run during the tournaments ae not for economy cars, they are for luxury cars. Some middle class folk watch golf too, but an advertisement for a $90,000 sedan isn't targetting that demographic.

Egad.

Where one demographic begins and ends is hard to say, but anyone who watches a TV ad is being targeted with the information. Advertising, as any ad exec will tell you, is a very inexact science. Should the non-targeted people shield their eyes and ears? Most of the viewers of golf are older men, but not all. Many younger people watch golf because they like it, have good jobs and might lease a luxury car to impress their older bosses who watch golf. Try to stay on topic, shop talk is little help here.

Allow me to help. Marketers are large determiners of culture these days. They purport to have no interest in race/vizmins, but seem to take pains to them in ads in some places and not other places. Most immigrants to Canada don't want to rock the boat, they want to get in on the lolly and one way to smile and eat happily on TV. And the corporate cullture says rock on. It would be of greater help if you could find an ad where the immigrant/vizmin is not happy in some way, like complaining, and bring it to our attention here.

The link doesn't show the ad, from what I remember, he's just selling medicine, body ache stuff. Doesn't count.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If multiculturalism is dead were am I going to find a decent donair, roti, perogy, samosa, pizza or egg roll in Canada?

Or some sushi!

The link doesn't show the ad, from what I remember, he's just selling medicine, body ache stuff. Doesn't count.

No it doesn't, I simply wanted you to know that it is a real product. Look, you stated that Indians are never in ads at all. You didn't state they are never in Tim Horton's' ads or A&W ads - besides how would you know? I know a few natives whose skin is whiter than mine and their features are even more European looking than mine.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy
.... and Indians are never in ads at all.

Want to see the cover of my last year phone book with the pretty native girl on it?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
No it doesn't, I simply wanted you to know that it is a real product. Look, you stated that Indians are never in ads at all. You didn't state they are never in Tim Horton's' ads or A&W ads - besides how would you know? I know a few natives whose skin is whiter than mine and their features are even more European looking than mine.

They are in some ads. They are not often placed in the ads I am talking about, complaining or contesting something. They could be good invisible background noise.

Lakota, hmmm. Another midwest/prairie Indian from the land of the big sky. That's what they always complain about, the only Indian the white man puts on the box is one with feathers, tipis, peace pipes and living on the plains. Doesn't Ontario/Quebec/Atlantic Canada have Indians that can sell medicine?

Exactly! We're talking about cheeseburgers here people, not medicine. Try to stay on topic for ****'s sake.

Right. The topic here is all sorts of "cheeseburgers." They can have a lot of diversity.

Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy
.... and Indians are never in ads at all.

Want to see the cover of my last year phone book with the pretty native girl on it?

Sure. As long as I don't have to look at you also.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They are in some ads. They are not often placed in the ads I am talking about, complaining or contesting something. They could be good invisible background noise.

Lakota, hmmm. Another midwest/prairie Indian from the land of the big sky. That's what they always complain about, the only Indian the white man puts on the box is one with feathers, tipis, peace pipes and living on the plains. Doesn't Ontario/Quebec/Atlantic Canada have Indians that can sell medicine?

Right. The topic here is all sorts of "cheeseburgers." They can have a lot of diversity.

Sure. As long as I don't have to look at you also.
Lakotahs were chased here by Custer you dumb ass. Good thing Queen Vic had some decency compared to the US Military.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Not all ads target all markets, it varies on the area & the demographic. Do you think it's wrong to have Chinese people portrayed in ads targeted towards a Chinese demographic in Chinatown Vancouver or Toronto??

My daughters are Chinese, we don't live in Vancouver or Toronto, and one's a damn fine hockey player, and they're both good soccer players. Today on the field, I think there were 3 Chinese girls.

I've seen Tim Hortons commercials with TimBits hockey and soccer players, where some are Chinese. Seems perfectly normal to me.

Dumpthemonarchy - are you offended when you drive by and see my kids playing? Is that what gets your pecker all knotted up? Are you trying to tell me that seeing reality reflected in commercials is wrong? Are you as much of an azzhole as you appear, or is that part of your one trick?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Where one demographic begins and ends is hard to say, but anyone who watches a TV ad is being targeted with the information.

I can fire a bullet at my target and miss. Does that mean I was targeting what the bullet actually hit? Nope.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
My daughters are Chinese, we don't live in Vancouver or Toronto, and one's a damn fine hockey player, and they're both good soccer players. Today on the field, I think there were 3 Chinese girls.

I've seen Tim Hortons commercials with TimBits hockey and soccer players, where some are Chinese. Seems perfectly normal to me.

Dumpthemonarchy - are you offended when you drive by and see my kids playing? Is that what gets your pecker all knotted up? Are you trying to tell me that seeing reality reflected in commercials is wrong? Are you as much of an azzhole as you appear, or is that part of your one trick?

Size matters, the thought of having a Toronto 18, a homegrown group of ethnic terrorists, prior to the 21st century was impossible. Couldn't happen here. We are just so nice. Humanitarianism and peacekeeping, are out middle names.

But starting in 1990, without a vote, with almost no discussion during an election, immigration was tripled from about 85,000 per year to over 250,000. That's about five million people entering the country, many who have widely divergent customs and habits. And you know what, many are disgusted by Canada and modernity.

Most have become regular Canadians, doing what everyone else does, playing soccer, happily eating burgers. I had an Asian girlfriend and she was very very hot. But take in big numbers with little regard to their cultural background, a few problems might develop. The idea of the left is "They're just people, wanting to live peacefully like us, no problem." The right thinks, "More workers, fantastic. Let them all in." I read the latter sentence quote years ago and ignored it. No more.

Try not to take everything so personally, there's a bigger picture out there.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Size matters, the thought of having a Toronto 18, a homegrown group of ethnic terrorists, prior to the 21st century was impossible. Couldn't happen here. We are just so nice. Humanitarianism and peacekeeping, are out middle names.

The FLQ was a homegrown ethnic terrorist organization active prior to the 21st century.

The idea of the left is "They're just people, wanting to live peacefully like us, no problem." The right thinks, "More workers, fantastic. Let them all in."

And dumpthemonarchy thinks there's a cheeseburger conspiracy.