Many believe aboriginal people don't pay enough taxes

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, I guess no more problems than the immigration and citizenship problems of any other sovereign state, no?
Possibly.

The problems I see that may materialize are people trying to purchase status, or people denied status because of racism or political leanings.

Metis in Ontario have Metis status at the leisure of the MNO (Metis Nation of Ontario). Oh you can be Metis, fill out the form, file it along with the fee, but still be denied. Or better yet, be a Red River Metis, who can trace his families roots to Louie himself, and be stripped of your Ontario Metis status, because you are the political adversary of the leader of the day.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Possibly.

The problems I see that may materialize are people trying to purchase status, or people denied status because of racism or political leanings.

Metis in Ontario have Metis status at the leisure of the MNO (Metis Nation of Ontario). Oh you can be Metis, fill out the form, file it along with the fee, but still be denied. Or better yet, be a Red River Metis, who can trace his families roots to Louie himself, and be stripped of your Ontario Metis status, because you are the political adversary of the leader of the day.

I don't believe that is strictly an Ontario phenomenon either....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't believe that is strictly an Ontario phenomenon either....
Probably not. But it is one I am well aware of. The gentleman that got me into positive First Nations political activism many years ago was the Red River Metis I spoke of. He was then President of the Toronto Metis council. His battles with then leader of the PCMNO (Provisional Council of the Metis Nation of Ontario), Tony Belcourt, over funding and where that funding went, how it was used, or who could access (Read, use) Toronto's accounts, were tumultuous at best.

I accompanied him to Ottawa to raise his concerns, to no avail. We were accosted, assaulted and threatened repeatedly. After I wrote a couple scathing editorials for the Tansi paper, regarding an apathetic Metis populace in Ontario, who seemed more concerned with cementing their harvesting rights than the proper administration of the funding and finances of the PCMNO. I was inundated with death threats, called an apple, and because I'm a status "injin", told to mind my own business and get my house in order, before I go poking my nose in someone elses.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not that I want it to come to it, nor do I believe it will, I'll mention a couple things from history, just so you can mull things over. US Army in Vietnam, Battle of the Little Big Horn, Red Army in Afghanistan. Just to name a few instances where guerrilla warfare proved very effective.

Further compounded by the fact that you wouldn't be fighting just First Nations from Canada. You would be fighting First nations from the US, New Zealand and Australia. And of course there would be a litany of non natives that would join the fold. Like many Palestinians, and many others from the Arabic/Muslim communities.

Violence is not necessary. If Canada ever decided to just override the law and its treaties, a worldwide petition campaign would probably be enough to result in UN sanctions against Canada. And unlike sanctions against countries that don't have much to lose, the UN has plenty at its disposal to punish Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Probably not. But it is one I am well aware of. The gentleman that got me into positive First Nations political activism many years ago was the Red River Metis I spoke of. He was then President of the Toronto Metis council. His battles with then leader of the PCMNO (Provisional Council of the Metis Nation of Ontario), Tony Belcourt, over funding and where that funding went, how it was used, or who could access (Read, use) Toronto's accounts, were tumultuous at best.

I accompanied him to Ottawa to raise his concerns, to no avail. We were accosted, assaulted and threatened repeatedly. After I wrote a couple scathing editorials for the Tansi paper, regarding an apathetic Metis populace in Ontario, who seemed more concerned with cementing their harvesting rights than the proper administration of the funding and finances of the PCMNO. I was inundated with death threats, called an apple, and because I'm a status "injin", told to mind my own business and get my house in order, before I go poking my nose in someone elses.

Question, CDNBear:

What are your thoughts on the First People's National Party of Canada (First Peoples National Party of Canada)?

Here's a quote from its site:

The Vision of the FPNP is to:
- Promote the implementing of compulsory Indigenous Studies courses for Graduation in High School and University. Without education reforms we can not move forward as a nation.

- Abolish the Senate and replaced with an equal but second house, the First Nations House / Gimaa-gamig (First Nations elected representatives for First Nations Peoples of Canada) in the House of Commons equal to that of the present parliament.

I'd actually be open to the ideas presented there. Combine that with the Recommendations of the 1999 Seoul International conference of NGOs (Linguistic Human Rights and Democracy in Communication) which led to the foundation of the NGO Coalition for an International Auxiliary Language:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE 1999 SEOUL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF NGOs[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 1999 Seoul International Conference of NGOs, Thematic Group Human Rights, recommends:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][1] That the United Nations Economic and Social Council, [ECOSOC] should place the subject of "Language and Human Rights " on its agenda for an early meeting in order to discuss problems of global linguistic politics and the destruction of human rights caused by linguistic inequalities.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][2] That such a meeting should consider the appointment of a Commission to explore the posssibility of the use and practicality of an international auxiliary language.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][3] That ECOSOC should report to the United Nations General Assembly the results of its findings.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][4] That this Seoul International Conference of NGO's submit the above as recommended proposals to the ECOSOC and to the NGO Millenium Forum scheduled for May 22-26, 2000, for their attention and follow up action.[/FONT]

Then we'd have a good decolonialist party to vote for. I'm not so fond of political parties, but if a canddiate ran on such a platform, I'd seriously consider voting for him and would probably even be quite forgiving of other policy disagreements of his, with limits of course.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Why would you thank him for giving you erroneous information?

I never thought you would be one to call the rules of law erroneous information.

Since you believe an outside party can be forced to adhere to a contract I'm going to write one with JLM that puts you on the hook for my mortgages.

I will also start to collect everything you get from the govt as mine since according to you an outside party can collect on a contract.

Now we know these are impossible under contract law so why would you be such an a$$ to say I was wrong?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Violence is not necessary.
True, but sadly many feel it is the best course of action.

If Canada ever decided to just override the law and its treaties, a worldwide petition campaign would probably be enough to result in UN sanctions against Canada. And unlike sanctions against countries that don't have much to lose, the UN has plenty at its disposal to punish Canada.
This is true.

What are your thoughts on the First People's National Party of Canada (First Peoples National Party of Canada)?
Not a big fan.

I never thought you would be one to call the rules of law erroneous information.
I didn't. You don't know what you're talking about.

Since you believe an outside party can be forced to adhere to a contract I'm going to write one with JLM that puts you on the hook for my mortgages.

I will also start to collect everything you get from the govt as mine since according to you an outside party can collect on a contract.

Now we know these are impossible under contract law so why would you be such an a$$ to say I was wrong?
You've made the claim that you are not party to the original contract. Yet as a Canadian, you benefit (collect) from it.

The error you see, is yours, not mine.

You're welcome.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not a big fan.

Why not? Just curious.

I'm not a big fan of any political party anyway, but what about the idea they presented for their vision? Sure it leaves out their position on many other policy areas, but what about those ideas themselves on their own merits?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The country of Canada is a registered corporation, not the citizens.
And yet you suggest that individual people take action against other individual people even though it were reps of Canada and reps of various indigenous nations that signed on behalf of their respective nations. Specifically, you said, "Really, line up all those alive who signed it and they can have the benefits from all the Europeans that signed it."
Make up your mind. Like I said, you either honor a contract or you don't. You say you know contract law; well, what happens when contracts are not honored?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why not? Just curious.
I can't quite put my finger on exactly why I'm no big fan, but for starters, First Nations people are free to participate in the political sphere now.

A party of all First Nations people really isn't necessary, whether I agree with their education platform or not.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
And yet you suggest that individual people take action against other individual people even though it were reps of Canada and reps of various indigenous nations that signed on behalf of their respective nations. Specifically, you said, "Really, line up all those alive who signed it and they can have the benefits from all the Europeans that signed it."
Make up your mind. Like I said, you either honor a contract or you don't. You say you know contract law; well, what happens when contracts are not honored?
The reps who signed these deals many, many years ago may well have been given authority by those people alive at the time but I wasn't alive so they cannot assume to have my authority to bargain or negotiate on my behalf. I do not believe that I, not being a party to the contract and not having given due authority to those who made the contract, should be held accountable for the deal and can really find no legal reason I should.
Example:If my dad dies owing on his mortgage they can collect from his estate but cannot go after me or my sisters if there is not enough to pay them off. The obligation does not pass on to me just because I am his son.

A contract that is not honored must be proven to be valid. After it is proven the aggrieved party may ask the court for an judgement order to pay and then follow certain steps to collect which include applying for orders to garnishee wages and for possession and sale of property.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I can't quite put my finger on exactly why I'm no big fan, but for starters, First Nations people are free to participate in the political sphere now.

A party of all First Nations people really isn't necessary, whether I agree with their education platform or not.

Actually, that party is not so much for First Nations people; anyone who agrees with its principles can join. It's a party simply promoting justice for First Nations.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Example:If my dad dies owing on his mortgage they can collect from his estate but cannot go after me or my sisters if there is not enough to pay them off. The obligation does not pass on to me just because I am his son.
Unless you choose to keep the home.

Actually, that party is not so much for First Nations people; anyone who agrees with its principles can join. It's a party simply promoting justice for First Nations.
Although true, it can and has attracted a predominantly Native caucus.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The reps who signed these deals many, many years ago may well have been given authority by those people alive at the time but I wasn't alive so they cannot assume to have my authority to bargain or negotiate on my behalf. I do not believe that I, not being a party to the contract and not having given due authority to those who made the contract, should be held accountable for the deal and can really find no legal reason I should.
Well, you are either part of Canada or you aren't. Essentially, Canada signed the treaties with the various indigenous nations. Try convincing the guvmint that as a Canadian, you or I aren't part of any deals that Canada has.

A contract that is not honored must be proven to be valid. After it is proven the aggrieved party may ask the court for an judgement order to pay and then follow certain steps to collect which include applying for orders to garnishee wages and for possession and sale of property.
So you don't think this applies to indigenous nations and Canada?

I kind of like FNPN. For a party, it's not too bad.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Couldn't have said it better myself
Not in the same context, nor with the same understanding of the fact that not all First Nations have the same beliefs, goals or aspirations.

But I'm sure that won't stop you from making the same statement over and over, lol.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Not in the same context, nor with the same understanding of the fact that not all First Nations have the same beliefs, goals or aspirations.

But I'm sure that won't stop you from making the same statement over and over, lol.

Since when did context become important to you?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Unless you choose to keep the home.
His estate would have to use any & all resources to pay off the debt including sale of real property. If there is not enough to pay the debt the house would be sold. I could buy it out at MY discretion but they could not sue me for any shortfall. Also if the property is sold for more than the debt they cannot keep the extra, it reverts to the estate and is distributed to his heirs.