Many believe aboriginal people don't pay enough taxes

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
SOmewhat loaded question since most people have no clue at all how the tax system works even for non natives. Many natives, especially in remote areas don't earn enough to pay taxes to start with and we have contractual obligations that exempt many others. As far as I know every native that works off rez pays income tax and if they own property off rez they pay property taxes just like anyone else.
Senior citizens OTH get an age based cut rate on property taxes regardless of income.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
How does the government hire anyone without signing a contract? Who would build the infrastructure? Just ourselves of our own free will? In other words, you're essentially defining anarchy.

Just because I don't support the oversize & overreaching centralized big-brother govt we have today does not me I am an anarchist. Most things could be accomplished within communities with more support at a better price if we were left to it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just because I don't support the oversize & overreaching centralized big-brother govt we have today does not me I am an anarchist. Most things could be accomplished within communities with more support at a better price if we were left to it.

The point was, you're proposing that it's absolutely fine for a government to sign a treaty with another government and then stab them in the back. That's like the Nazi-soviet peace treaty. The moement the last trade shipment crossed the border into Germany, Hitler pounced. It was no coincidence. Make sure you get your goods, play friendly, and then screw them over. As far as you're concerned, that's the kind of government we ought to have?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I didn't realize taxes were levied according to race! (But then again there is a mentality running rampant here that thinks taxes should be levied according to age...........increasing by 5% for each year over 60, after all they've been slack all their lives and never contributed ever) :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I didn't realize taxes were levied according to race! (But then again there is a mentality running rampant here that thinks taxes should be levied according to age...........increasing by 5% for each year over 60, after all they've been slack all their lives and never contributed ever) :lol:

Actually, they're not levied according to race. Owing to mixed marriages, some status Indians might be white, some might even look Chinese (owing to many Indian-Chinese marriages on the West-Coast, etc.). Also, not all Indians are status Indians owing to the Enfranchisement Act. This is based not on race, but nationality. Just as Canadian citizens don't pay US taxes so Indians don't pay Canadian taxes on-reserve since they are recognized as possessing their own nationality.

Now thanks to the Indian Act, indigenous Canadians are prohibited from welcoming new members; it's the Canadian government that controls indigenous citizenships to a significant degree. As a result, naturally immigrants from around the world integrate into Canadian as opposed to indigenous nations, thus giving a false impression that somehow we're universal and they're racial, when in reality, it's our laws that have usurped theirs.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Actually, they're not levied according to race. Owing to mixed marriages, some status Indians might be white, some might even look Chinese (owing to many Indian-Chinese marriages on the West-Coast, etc.). Also, not all Indians are status Indians owing to the Enfranchisement Act. This is based not on race, but nationality. Just as Canadian citizens don't pay US taxes so Indians don't pay Canadian taxes on-reserve since they are recognized as possessing their own nationality.
If they are their own nation then they should have their own currency and tax system to pay for their own way. This idea of a separate nation that gets the entirety of funding for anything from Canada and its taxpayers is ludicrous. They want to be independent fine, let them be independent not leeches.

Now thanks to the Indian Act, indigenous Canadians are prohibited from welcoming new members; it's the Canadian government that controls indigenous citizenships to a significant degree. As a result, naturally immigrants from around the world integrate into Canadian as opposed to indigenous nations, thus giving a false impression that somehow we're universal and they're racial, when in reality, it's our laws that have usurped theirs.
Why shouldn't we stop their citizenship from growing? Since we pay for every one of their citizens it is in our best interest to minimize the number of people we have to support.
Our laws should usurp theirs. This land was conquered and claimed a few hundred years ago. I never read anything in the history books about one native tribe conquering another and then supporting them in perpetuity. No, when one tribe defeated another they eradicated that tribe completely to ensure future generations would not try to take back the conquered lands. Survivors were assimilated or killed off.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If they are their own nation then they should have their own currency and tax system to pay for their own way. This idea of a separate nation that gets the entirety of funding for anything from Canada and its taxpayers is ludicrous. They want to be independent fine, let them be independent not leeches.

Why shouldn't we stop their citizenship from growing? Since we pay for every one of their citizens it is in our best interest to minimize the number of people we have to support.
Our laws should usurp theirs. This land was conquered and claimed a few hundred years ago. I never read anything in the history books about one native tribe conquering another and then supporting them in perpetuity. No, when one tribe defeated another they eradicated that tribe completely to ensure future generations would not try to take back the conquered lands. Survivors were assimilated or killed off.

I hope your not advocating a segregating blockade or forced assimilation. We know these methods are tolerated in the west as the facts of Gaza demonstrate. Of course the same methods would apply to the other socioethnicpolithomelessunemployed you get the picture. So it's a damn bad idea. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hey Nick, you should just look at it as paying rent on their land!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They do in BC. There is a homeowner grant and then a further reduction for seniors. Don't know about other provinces.

No wonder JLM gets so uppity when I point out how much seniors needlessly rely on the government tit. I guess we can add a house onto the list on senior's entitlements. One would think that the "ungrateful" younger generations would be complaining about that one but the silence is deafening. I guess they are too busy working and taking care of the seniors so spend much time complaining. No matter, there are enough whiny seniors to fill in.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You mean there's a break that spoilt rotten slack assed whining seniors get that you don't know about. In B.C. we enjoy about a 25% reduction on our property taxes. (But it's not worth moving here for) :lol:

No wonder JLM gets so uppity when I point out how much seniors needlessly rely on the government tit. I guess we can add a house onto the list on senior's entitlements. One would think that the "ungrateful" younger generations would be complaining about that one but the silence is deafening. I guess they are too busy working and taking care of the seniors so spend much time complaining. No matter, there are enough whiny seniors to fill in.

Another crock from the peanut gallery!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Again, they were never conquered. We stabbed them in the back as we were shaking their hands.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I've heard of a reach-around before but never like that. :lol:

Well, let me ask you: do you consider it a fair fight if you knee someone in the nuts while you were shaking hands with him?

Hey Nick, you should just look at it as paying rent on their land!

But I think he looks at it as, if you can buy the judge and thug your way into his home, why pay the rent?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Well, let me ask you: do you consider it a fair fight if you knee someone in the nuts while you were shaking hands with him?
It happens in the WWE all the time. It is a fight after all.

But I think he looks at it as, if you can buy the judge and thug your way into his home, why pay the rent?
I bought all 3 of my homes, people pay me rent. I trust a judge as much as I trust their politician bosses.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Cannuck;1666094[B said:
]No wonder JLM gets so uppity when I point out how much seniors needlessly rely on the government tit[/B]. I guess we can add a house onto the list on senior's entitlements. One would think that the "ungrateful" younger generations would be complaining about that one but the silence is deafening. I guess they are too busy working and taking care of the seniors so spend much time complaining. No matter, there are enough whiny seniors to fill in.

It will be a frosty Friday when I get "uppity" about some idiot's blatant bullsh*t.