Many believe aboriginal people don't pay enough taxes

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Right. But did you buy them on stolen property?
Probably not. That sort of thing is illegal nowadays but it was ok to con, cajole, and outright steal back then .... as long as you were gov't. Thing is that Europeans found out that indigenous peoples did not have the concept of "owning" real estate and so they took advantage of it.
A contract is a contract. You either honor it or you don't. If you don't, legally you will probably be penalized for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
HEy Canuck: Did you know that seniors ride on the ferries for free mid week?

Hey, Taxslave, if you really want to drive him right around the bend, seniors can ride transit and the skytrain anywhere in the Lower Mainland as often as they like for less than $50 a month. I know 'cause my sister lives in New West and works in both Vancouver and Coquitlam. (She's another whining senior who sits on her ass and bitches)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
...or not.
In this case, I highly suspect that there will be ramifications.

It will come in three forms, legal challenges (Both domestic and international), undoubtedly sanctions by international bodies, as well as armed insurrection.

Lands have changed ownership through invasion and war and revolution for 1000s of years and nobody seems to get it handed back except the Indians and they got extra benefits to go with it.
That's because the lands weren't taken by invasion, war or revolution. They were traded for services and benefits, some were stolen, some were conned.

I find your double standards between Israel and First Nations very interesting.

For example, my family tree goes back into the 1300s in France. We know where the huge 1500+ acre estate and 50 room chateau are located that used to be the family home. Come the revolution my ancestors had 2 choices, get out of France or die, so they left. Following the example of Canada and the Indians I should get my castle back and have the French govt pay for all my needs and those of my heirs for at least a few hundred years. Now I know that ain't going to happen because the idea is ludicrous and the French people and govt would never allow it.
You obviously didn't have a contract with the French gov't.

We have a contract with the Canadian gov't.

Sucks to be them.
Make up your mind. We get way to much or it sucks to be us.

You seem very confused.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
In this case, I highly suspect that there will be ramifications.

It will come in three forms, legal challenges (Both domestic and international), undoubtedly sanctions by international bodies, as well as armed insurrection.
You can try the armed insurrection but our army is bigger and better equiped so I don't like your chances. Don't let things like fear & common sense stop you trying though.

You obviously didn't have a contract with the French gov't.
Not only was it a revolution where the peasants were not going to offer a contract but it was hundreds of years ago so I wasn't alive to sign it if it was offered.

We have a contract with the Canadian gov't.
Really, line up all those alive who signed it and they can have the benefits from all the Europeans that signed it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You can try the armed insurrection but our army is bigger and better equiped so I don't like your chances. Don't let things like fear & common sense stop you trying though.
Not that I want it to come to it, nor do I believe it will, I'll mention a couple things from history, just so you can mull things over. US Army in Vietnam, Battle of the Little Big Horn, Red Army in Afghanistan. Just to name a few instances where guerrilla warfare proved very effective.

Further compounded by the fact that you wouldn't be fighting just First Nations from Canada. You would be fighting First nations from the US, New Zealand and Australia. And of course there would be a litany of non natives that would join the fold. Like many Palestinians, and many others from the Arabic/Muslim communities.

You see, the subject isn't as myopic as the thought you give it.

Not only was it a revolution where the peasants were not going to offer a contract but it was hundreds of years ago so I wasn't alive to sign it if it was offered.
Geez, sucks to be you.

Thankfully we have a contract. Upheld by the Constitution and the Supreme Court.

Really, line up all those alive who signed it and they can have the benefits from all the Europeans that signed it.
Fortunately, that's not how it works.

Again, sucks to be you.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Not that I want it to come to it, nor do I believe it will, I'll mention a couple things from history, just so you can mull things over. US Army in Vietnam, Battle of the Little Big Horn, Red Army in Afghanistan. Just to name a few instances where guerrilla warfare proved very effective.

Further compounded by the fact that you wouldn't be fighting just First Nations from Canada. You would be fighting First nations from the US, New Zealand and Australia. And of course there would be a litany of non natives that would join the fold. Like many Palestinians, and many others from the Arabic/Muslim communities.
That's a long way for the Aborigines and Maoris to travel to get shot at and bombed isn't it? And why exactly would we let them off the plane if they were coming to fight us?

Geez, sucks to be you.
Meh, it was hundreds of years before my time, I've learned to live with it and within Canada as a Canadian. You should try that sometime.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's a long way for the Aborigines and Maoris to travel to get shot at and bombed isn't it?
It is, but it's amazing what lengths people will go to, to fight against injustice.

And why exactly would we let them off the plane if they were coming to fight us?
I can cross the border without seeing a CBSA.

Meh, it was hundreds of years before my time, I've learned to live with it and within Canada as a Canadian. You should try that sometime.
I guess the CDN in CDNBear, went well over your head, lol.

Blackie

Feb 18, 2011
Alberta
[QUOTE=Machjo;1666121]Again, they were never conquered. We stabbed them in the back as we were shaking their hands.[/QUOTE]
“Machjo Again, they were never conquered. We stabbed them in the back as we were shaking their hands.”
WE?? Were you one who ‘stabbed them in the back”? I know my ancestors weren’t and I certainly wasn’t.
Tired of posters using the word "we".

PoliticalNick Quote : CDNBear…We have a contract with the Canadian gov't.
Really, line up all those alive who signed it and they can have the benefits from all the Europeans that signed it.”
Good comment Nick, I agree

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
[QUOTE=Machjo;1666121]Again, they were never conquered. We stabbed them in the back as we were shaking their hands.

“Machjo Again, they were never conquered. We stabbed them in the back as we were shaking their hands.”
WE?? Were you one who ‘stabbed them in the back”? I know my ancestors weren’t and I certainly wasn’t.

Really, line up all those alive who signed it and they can have the benefits from all the Europeans that signed it.”
[/QUOTE]

You need to read a little history and learn a bit about contract law.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
[QUOTE=Machjo;1666121]Again, they were never conquered. We stabbed them in the back as we were shaking their hands.

Good comment Nick, I agree[/QUOTE]
Quite the quote mess you have there.

Anyway, the issue is that the COUNTRY of Canada signed contracts with indigenous peoples, not individuals. It's like if your company has a contract with you and some pencil pusher signed the contract, it isn't he that you have the contract with, it's the company he represented when he signed. I guess that didn't occur to Nick, you and whomever else.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

[/SIZE]

You need to read a little history and learn a bit about contract law.[/QUOTE]
I know contract law. I cannot be forced to be part of a contract unless I sign it or have given power of attorney to someone who did. I also know that someone who is not a party to a contract has no rights to collect on it.

Anyway, the issue is that the COUNTRY of Canada signed contracts with indigenous peoples, not individuals. It's like if your company has a contract with you and some pencil pusher signed the contract, it isn't he that you have the contract with, it's the company he represented when he signed. I guess that didn't occur to Nick, you and whomever else.
The country of Canada is a registered corporation, not the citizens.

Blackie

Feb 18, 2011
Alberta
You need to read a little history and learn a bit about contract law.
I know contract law. I cannot be forced to be part of a contract unless I sign it or have given power of attorney to someone who did. I also know that someone who is not a party to a contract has no rights to collect on it.

The country of Canada is a registered corporation, not the citizens.[/QUOTE]
Thank you Nick

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The day the white man and all his evil spawn leave this land, the better off we will be.............

"All men were made brothers. The earth is the
mother of all people, and
all people should have equal rights upon it. You
might as well expect
the rivers to run backward as that any man who
was born free should be
content when penned up and denied liberty to go
where he pleases."

Black Elk Oglala Sioux Holy Man, 1863-1950

The whites were always trying to make the Indians give up their life and live like the white men - go to farming, work hard and do as they did - and the Indians did not know how to do that, and did not want to anyway….If the Indians had tried to make the whites live like them, the whites would have resisted, and it was the same with many Indians.

Wamditanka of the Santee Sioux

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No. They signed them with "nations".
Of Indigenous people... :roll:

I know contract law.
It's been made apparent that you don't.

I cannot be forced to be part of a contract unless I sign it or have given power of attorney to someone who did.
So the gov't sends you a draft of every contract your taxes go to pay for?

I also know that someone who is not a party to a contract has no rights to collect on it.
So with that logic in mind, you have no right to collect on the benefits granted the authors of the original contracts.

When will you be leaving?

Thank you Nick
Why would you thank him for giving you erroneous information?

The whites were always trying to make the Indians give up their life and live like the white men - go to farming, work hard and do as they did - and the Indians did not know how to do that, and did not want to anyway….If the Indians had tried to make the whites live like them, the whites would have resisted, and it was the same with many Indians.
This is very much part of the problem, taking the words of one Nation and trying to apply it to all.

In Ontario Canada, the Anish were farmers, they enjoyed farming, they cleared vast tracts of land to do so. After contact, they only got better at it with the arrival of contemporary farming implements.

They cleared even greater tracts of land, built grist mills, and developed an agricultural economy that attracted European settlement., only to be swindled out of it by Bondhead.

Thankfully Bondhead memorialized his crooked dealings.

Which of course precipitated the massive payment to correct the fraudulent expropriation of Anish land that was executed in the last couple years.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They aren't. It's based on heredity.

And even that has been decided by the Indian Act imposed on First Nations, essentially an abuse of their sovereignty. Strictly speaking, First Nations ought to decide who can become a member.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And even that has been decided by the Indian Act imposed on First Nations, essentially an abuse of their sovereignty. Strictly speaking, First Nations ought to decide who can become a member.
I concur. But that does come with its own list of inherent problems.

But there are non Natives, who are "Accepted". They're given full status while on the res.

Usually for great deeds or services to either Canada or the Band/Nation.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I concur. But that does come its own list of inherent problems.

But there are non Natives, who are "Accepted". They're given full status while on the res.

Usually for great deeds or services to either Canada or the Band/Nation.

Well, I guess no more problems than the immigration and citizenship problems of any other sovereign state, no?