Man dies after Taser shock by police at Vancouver airport

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I very clearly stated that I didn't know what the right procedure would be gerryh... I NEVER said he should have been tasered, or shouldn't have. Your first line is ridiculous.

As for femal officers, I'm saying that they may be at a direct disadvantage in a hand to hand situation with a male, yes. Does that make them inefficient or bad cops? No. Ability to overpower someone else isn't the measure of a good officer. But, most female cops I know could probably knock 90% of men on their arses anyhow.

You're right Karrie....just pull a gun a shoot the SOB...... he deserves it anyways:roll:

BTW....what does the number of women on the police force have to do with anything? Are you saying that they are incapable of doing the same job as the men? If that's the case, what the hell are they doing on the job.

I, personally, question the competancy of the cops.....it took at least 3 of them to "subdue and cuff" the man AFTER he was tasered. WTF?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's a good question actually, the number of police officers dying trying to disarm. I wouldn't say its good policy to disarm, better to isolate to minimize damage and wait until they need a sandwich.

I remember reading that only a small fraction of an ampere passing through a heart is enough to cause a heart attack, then keep in mind that hundreds of thousands of volts are common in tasers, and wonder if our body really has mega ohm per meter resistivity...

Couldn't they just use a weighted net?

You know, just about every single technology that police have to subdue someone ends up going wrong and getting someone killed. A weighted net could end with him getting a cracked skull and dying due to a brain bleed.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think you're right Karrie. Tranquilizer, death due to histamine reaction, taser, heart stops, weighted net, broken neck or the like, rubber bullets, again possible death.

I really think the baton works best, but looks perhaps the worst. Pepper spray isn't always effective.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think you're right Karrie. Tranquilizer, death due to histamine reaction, taser, heart stops, weighted net, broken neck or the like, rubber bullets, again possible death.

I really think the baton works best, but looks perhaps the worst. Pepper spray isn't always effective.

and a misplaced baton blow can still result in a crushed trachea.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre, above, said the man was enraged, pounding on windows and throwing chairs and computer equipment, and refused to calm down.

What it comes down to, is that police considered the safety of the equipment(inanimate objects) more important than a mans life. Now why does that not surprise me?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
In all honesty I wouldn't care that much about tasers if they weren't prohibited weapons. They are the legal equivalent of shurikens in Canada, or morning stars which is just weird.

The most important figure is: (number of injuries caused)/(number of times used)

16 deaths since 2003 (is that right?) just doesn't tell the whole story.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The news last night had a woman who had attempted to talk with the man and had him CALMED down. The man was from Poland and had been in the airport for 5hours with NO help from customs. This after a 2 hr train ride and a 11hr flight from Germany.

The RCMP did NOT try to talk to this man or calm him down or even attempt communications with him. Evening service at the airport for translation is poor and this man who was here to meet his sponsor (moving toCanada he was) had poor english.

In the end it looks like the RCMP responded out of fear and past incidences rather then taking this incident on it's own. Poor judgement and now a man is dead.

Seems the taser was not needed if a unprofessional woman is able to communicate and calm him down without getting hurt.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It should be for immigration officials, but not every language obviously. As I said earlier, he was delayed in getting to Vancouver in the first place, and the shifts at midnight are not nearly as well staffed as the day shifts. I can understand his frustration. Nearly 24 hours in transit, and in the end no way to effectively communicate.

We've all had commuting issues. We have all been delayed on and off planes at airports. After all, we have all flown Air Canada right? When you fly you have to be able to roll with the punches. Ultimatly, that is no excuse for going breserk in an airport.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
We've all had commuting issues. We have all been delayed on and off planes at airports. After all, we have all flown Air Canada right? When you fly you have to be able to roll with the punches. Ultimatly, that is no excuse for going breserk in an airport.

WHich is no excuse for killing a man.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Murder at the Vancouver Airport by the RCMP.

Murder at the Vancouver Airport by the RCMP.
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://uxeif.notlong.com

http://uzehu.notlong.com

It looks like the RCMP broke his neck with the knee of an officer pressing down after being Tazered at least three times.
Durgan.

Tasered man's last moments
IAN BAILEY

Globe and Mail Update

November 14, 2007 at 10:18 PM EST

VANCOUVER — Astonishing video footage released yesterday shows Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski did not resist police or confront them before officers zapped him with a taser, setting off a struggle that ended in his death in the international arrivals area of Vancouver's International Airport.

The footage, shot by Victoria resident Paul Pritchard, was released to the news media yesterday and widely broadcast, providing a raw look at events that have prompted a furious debate in B.C. about the police use of tasers.

The release comes exactly a month after the incident that ended in the death of 40-year-old Mr. Dziekanski, who had come to Canada on his first-ever airplane flight to begin a new life here with his mother, who lives in Kamloops and had been eagerly awaiting his arrival.

He began acting erratically after more than 10 hours being processed — the footage picks up as he was positioning chairs and a table in a manner that caused the automatic doors to remain open. Security guards look on.

Enlarge Image
Paul Pritchard, 25, who witnessed and recorded the death of Robert Dziekanski at the Vancouver International Airport, holds the video camera he used to capture the event, after a press conference at his lawyer's office in Victoria in this Nov. 1, 2007 file photo. (Deddeda Stemler/CP)

Related Articles
From the archives

Tasers: Could paranoid rage be the real killer?
Taser-related deaths since 2003
Task force rejects call to stop using tasers in Quebec
Quebecker dies several days after taser shock
Taser victim likely confused, mother says
Globe editorial: Time to recognize the risks of tasers
When four Mounties arrive, they briskly move up to Mr. Dziekanski. He calls out "policia, policia" as they approach. One bystander is recorded saying that he is speaking Russian.

He appears to turn and move away from officers, putting up his hands in frustration. He appears to pick up a stapler on a counter. He is then tasered with a 50,000-volt shock, and jittering he drops, screaming in pain.

Someone yells "hit him again." He was tasered twice. Police pile on, seeking to restrain him. One officer places his knee on Mr. Dziekanski's neck.

Mr. Dziekanski went into medical distress and died there. The footage shows officers attending to him. One man in a suit checks for a pulse. It is impossible to tell from the footage whether he is dead at that point, although he appears non-responsive.

An autopsy later found no sign of drugs or alcohol in Mr. Dziekanski's system, but failed to come up with any specific cause of death.

His mother, Zofia Cisowski, had gone home to the B.C. Interior after waiting several hours to meet her son.

The footage was especially horrifying to Ms. Cisowski. Her lawyer said she had watched parts selected for her by a friend.

"She's profoundly saddened seeing her son look frightened and in need of help and wanting help," Walter Kosteckyj said in an interview shortly before he released copies of the video to the media by arrangement with Mr. Pritchard.

"She would have expected that he would have got that help from the police, but clearly he did not."

Mr. Kosteckyj said his client would not watch TV news broadcasts for a while to avoid seeing the images, although she had wanted to view them on her own terms.

"You want to be able to, if possible, see the last moments of your child's life and see what, if anything, you could do, and what could have been done."

He said she has been resigned to the release of the video. "Whether it got out now or four months from now, she knew that it was going to come out, and that's just the reality of modern life," he said.

Mr. Kosteckyj said it's too soon to comment on legal action, although he has been talking to witnesses to prepare for a planned coroner's inquest. He said people have called him from as far away as Texas to offer their comments on what they saw.

"I was expecting to see a confrontation, a discussion and things go sideways, then the tasering. That's not what you see," he said.

"The biggest thing that surprises me is there were four professional police officers there, and that the four officers showed up on the scene, [and] none of them seemed to take the time, not one of them, to go and talk to the crowd of people, the witnesses that were there and get some background on what was going on," he said.

He urged people to watch the video and draw their own conclusions.

A spokesman for the integrated homicide investigation team, which is investigating the incident, urged the public to await the coroner's inquest and consider the video in the context of evidence that will include officers explaining their conduct.

But Corporal Dale Carr, a spokesman for the police team investigating the incident, conceded that may be a futile request. "People are going to form their opinions. They are going to make their conclusions and I, unfortunately, don't expect I can control that."

Asked about the absence of attempts to defuse the situation with conversation, Cpl. Carr said, "That's part of what we are trying to get to the bottom of, what was going through these officers' minds, what did they choose, and why they chose the intervention they did."

He said the investigation is about 30 to 45 days away from completion.

Cpl. Carr said he was especially sympathetic to Ms. Cisowski despite her criticisms of the police.

"I don't want to counter what she has to say. She's a grieving mother who tried for years to get her son to come to Canada, and upon his arrival he ended up deceased. It's a tragic story, and she's entitled to her opinion."

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Did anyone see that footage last night on CBC? Within 30 seconds of showing up they had the taser out. When he went unconscious, no attempt to resuscitate, or monitor his condition. No communication whatsoever from the border agents, or immigration officials in the airport.

Very tragic. Lets hope the SOP is tweaked to avoid events like this in the future.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Mikey Times (CP)

The buzz of reporters microphones and video gear assaulted the gathering poised around the walkway that soon would take Jean Chretien to his destination....then a muffled cha-chunk and a fully loaded large caliber pie was deftly taken from beneath the trenchcoat of a mild looking man standing unobtrusively on one side of the walkway.....

Well the outcome was "news" at the time, but maybe the RCMP can get ole Jean to demonstrate to them how you can interdict a man with a loaded pie ...or an emotionally upset and fragile stanger to the land that would ultimately take his life....

This is a shameful happenstance that Canadians should regard as typical coming from a federal police department that's been so mismanaged, ill-trained and poorly equipped for years that it has send rookies to apprehend known criminals with high powered rifles and sacrificed many other fine officers to criminal stupidity.....

A terrible event.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Awful, simply awful.

I've done a 180 degree turn after seeing the video.....I thought the incident was tragic, but the RCMP probably were justified in zapping him with a "non-lethal" weapon.

Nope.

This appears to be manslaughter, or criminal negligence causing death........has nobody ever taught this guys you can only use violence in self-defense?

Outrageous.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The cop that used the taser...manslaughter at least...the oter 3 cops..criminal negligence causeing death. Prison sentence for all 4.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
you don't think that perhaps the cop who broke his neck deserves the manslaughter charge?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
if a cops knee broke his neck...than I would say 2nd degree for him...... iether way...all 4 cops need to be dealt with harshly....they are there to protect, that is their job.Not play Rambo.

A message needs to be sent to these hotdogs.