Man dies after Taser shock by police at Vancouver airport

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know, I typically try to reserve judgement on most situations until all the facts are revealed. But I have a hard time imagining how intimidating and threatening an 11 year old could be to a group of police officers. Of course, I'm operating on the assumption that if the kid had some kind of weapon or was uttering threats to harm himself or others,that would have been reported.

It does seem to me though that since any use of a taser by the RCMP now seems to immediately result in an independent investigation, perhaps they shouldn't be using them at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You know, I typically try to reserve judgement on most situations until all the facts are revealed. But I have a hard time imagining how intimidating and threatening an 11 year old could be to a group of police officers. Of course, I'm operating on the assumption that if the kid had some kind of weapon or was uttering threats to harm himself or others,that would have been reported.

It does seem to me though that since any use of a taser by the RCMP now seems to immediately result in an independent investigation, perhaps they shouldn't be using them at all.

Yep, your feelings on this matter are entirely justified. Quite often as soon as a story like this is aired (without most of the details) the emotions tend to run rampant, before hanging tough for the details. My first reaction was "outrageous", before considering the possibility that maybe we have a monster on our hands like those two kids in England who murdered the three year old Bulger kid. You just gotta wait until you get the full story. (But in the meantime you can still entertain opinions- recognizing of course they are just opinions) :smile:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, your feelings on this matter are entirely justified. Quite often as soon as a story like this is aired (without most of the details) the emotions tend to run rampant, before hanging tough for the details. My first reaction was "outrageous", before considering the possibility that maybe we have a monster on our hands like those two kids in England who murdered the three year old Bulger kid. You just gotta wait until you get the full story. (But in the meantime you can still entertain opinions- recognizing of course they are just opinions) :smile:
Agreed, an 11 year old certainly can be dangerous. As soon as you add a weapon into the mix, almost anyone of any age can be. And truly, I have no issue with the police subduing an individual. The paramount concern should always be safety; of the officers at the scene, of any other individual at the scene as well as the suspect himself.

The articles title is not lost on me either. It's sensational, meant to evoke a sensational emotional response.

So, I'm not rushing to judgement.

However in previous situations, where most of the facts have been made public, it seems more and more apparent that tasers have been over-used or inappropriately used. That lends itself to questions regarding it's use in this circumstance.

Of course, rationally speaking, we do not ever hear about the situations where it has been used appropriately because those situations are not sensational. Appropriate use of tasers does not sell newspapers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
apparently he had stabbed his Father.
Is that who was stabbed? His Dad? I hadn't heard anything more since the original report.

On a side note, googling "police taser 11 year old" turned up multiple incidences (at least 3 by my quick review). Seems to be more common a thing to happen than what I would originally have thought.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They should have taken after him with a belt 6 years ago and they wouldn't have to taser the damn "boy" today.

It worked just fine and has been cheap for the past 3 million years.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So the cops tasered him because they were afraid he may have been crazy? Ya, crazy people scare me too.

Fickin' morons!

When I first heard it I thought it put the boy in a favourable light in that he probably wasn't attempting Patricide. As far as Petros comment is concerned he's 90% right but for the first three million years parents were more sane than a lot of them are today. Cavemen didn't do dope as far as I know.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
McKenna was a hack. We still do live in caves and stick and mud huts. These days we stack caves 100 high and 4x4 wide.

Save up your "New Suns" and I'll take you to a place in Peru. Get cancellation isurance on your ticket so you can cash in the return half because you'd never want to come home.